Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Retro Sci Fi Miniatures  (Read 4711 times)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »
:?:  I wondered if there are any other SF miniatures than the handful that are shown here quite often (Retro Raygun etc). I quite like them but there is only a very limited range (mostly robots it seems)
Are there any other ranges, producers (maybe in plastic)? There seems to be nothing available that is not too over the top (like Flash Gordon etc) or too far future (Star Wars, star ship troopers)

Just some "normal" astronauts with a little twist. I bought a Victorian space man (Eureka) but they are too big and totally out of proportion.

I thought about converting divers but it is just not quite right.
Any ideas anyone?  :?:
A boxed game (like Start Quest..if it wasn't 40k and therefore too weird) would be cool, but it seems no one makes this sort of thing!?
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:44:48 AM »

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:22 AM »
:) this forum just is great...you ask a question and a second later you got replies. Thanks!
Yepp now that you mention these I remember someone showed the space ships they do just recently and the response was sort of "lukewarm".
Do you know how the minis are? They look as if they are not very good sculpts!?

Offline headzombie

• Bookworm
    • http://www.zombiesmith.com
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:14:41 AM »
The human spacers are great sculpts. (I have them in front of me right now!)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:38:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply...
But I just checked their shipping rates $37 for a handful of minis!
That is absolutely ridiculous  

NO WAY! I am not ordering there! :x  
If I have stuff shipped over from other companies in the US it is not that expensive (amazon e.g. and books are much heavier)...
Their shipping rate quadruples (!) the price!

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:09:52 AM »
Victory Force has a nice little line of models. I especially like the astronauts about halfway down the page...

http://www.victoryforce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=VFM&Category_Code=spacefarers

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »
Check out Bronze Age and Paroom Station (London War Room, but in the American Southwest, go figure.). Both have John Carter of Mars/Space 1889 feels going. And Paroom has quite a few VSF things, don't know if that helps or not.

There's the Rocketmen from Pulp Miniatures. If you're in england, you should have easier access to Dick Garrison out of the Wargames Supply Depot than we do here in America.

I think Graven Images has a 40mm Flash Gordon type line. And Killer B has a growing line of 30-32mm characters, and they're english. (with a few robots)

You might also want to check out singles for the collectible games Heroclix and Starwars by Wizkids and Wizards of the Coast respectively. Both lines have a great number of figures that could be made pulpy with just a small conversion, but more often just a new paint job.

The only problem is that they're no really compatible with too many other manufacturers because they're more true proportioned.

An if you look at some of the old serials you can get some 'native' and villanous forces converting/painting specially some historical figures.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:04 AM »
Quote from: "darquebus"
Thanks for the reply...
But I just checked their shipping rates $37 for a handful of minis!
That is absolutely ridiculous  

NO WAY! I am not ordering there! :x  
If I have stuff shipped over from other companies in the US it is not that expensive (amazon e.g. and books are much heavier)...
Their shipping rate quadruples (!) the price!

I know what you mean about high shipping costs but you might want to ask them for a quote.  I've dealt with their partner Old Glory 25's and the first time I prepared an order, I nearly had a heart attack! It came to nearly $50 so I stopped the process to think about it.  It was a fair sized order.  I guess I had gone far enough in PayPal for the order to reach them and they contacted me to see whether I had a problem with the shipping costs! They asked whether I would like an exact quote so, of course, I said yes.  It came back at something around $17, still not cheap, but something I could live with.  I also joined their Old Glory Army, which, for $50 a year, gives you 40% off all Old Glory figures, Old Glory Shipyards, Crusader USA and Blue Moon Manufacturing! You also get a free figure every month (this year it's cowboys) and some of them are very nice - this month's is a beaut!
That $37 shipping is not really their fault, either.  That is apparently the amount the Post Office charges for their Flat Box service, whatever that is! For some reason, the USPS decided they weren't going to ship overseas by surface anymore so everything goes air, now.  Old Glory and Blue Moon do try to ship as cheaply as possible so it wouldn't hurt to ask.  You might be surprised!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 04:59:15 AM »
yes I already have sent an email to them.
But I had a look at the the Victory Force Website (see post above) and the charge $10 shipping (for 20 minis)...so it is possible to ship for lower rates!
QED  :wink:
I honestly think some of these companies try to make a profit on the shipping. I have some dwarven forge stuff I bought in a shop years ago and wanted to order more, and they are the absolute winners with hundreds of dollars for shipping!

Anyhow, thanks for all the good ideas again! I found some other intersting stuff on the websites you guys recommended. So I am afraid I have to get my credit card out...get behind me Satan!

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:26:34 AM »
:x Argh! I hate you all... :wink:
while looking at the websites you recommended I came across this

http://www.olleysarmies.co.uk/psychicscrunts.html

how cool is that!?

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:41:37 AM »
Not really if you ask me, but it takes all kinds. :)

I thought the Old Glory army only works for orders made in the US or is just for the OG websites based in the US?

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Retro Sci Fi Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »
Quote from: "wolfgangbrooks"
Not really if you ask me, but it takes all kinds. :)

I thought the Old Glory army only works for orders made in the US or is just for the OG websites based in the US?

I think it's just for the US-based sites.  I'm in Canada and I had no problem obtaining my membership.