Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 709
Total: 715

Recent

Author Topic: Pony Wars Mini Campaign  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
  • If we don't end war, war will end us.
Pony Wars Mini Campaign
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:49:32 AM »
Found in the debris of a ruined cavalry patrol is the diary of Private Jonas Hebble. Hebble joined the US Cavalry in Kansas in 1875. In the Summer of 1876 part of his Regiment was engaged in a disasterous action in the small town of Millers Hitch in the Dakota territories. Private Hebble wrote his mother 3 days before the expedition set out. Here is a portion of the letter home "Dear Ma, you would be very proud of me! I been assigned to carry the Regimental Guidon (thats a flag Ma) and will be ridin aside the Colonel! The Colonel was real upset when he heard of them Troopers from A company gettin kilt an so he got the whole darned regiment together to go teach them Indians a lesson!. Below are thenotes of Private Hebble's diary and the remainder of the actions are accounted for from the Regimental Histories.

14 July 1876 - Well here we go Ma and what a site! All in there is nearly the whole Regiment, we got A (rebuilt with new troopers), B, C  and D companies plus half of E and F Companies, and plus we got one of them new Gatling Guns and 2 cannons! There's also a bunch of Indian scouts - Crow I think, who are gonna help us find the Sioux and Cheyenne warriors what kilt all them A company boys. Sure wish you coulda seen ridin Ma, all them blue coats leaven the fort must looked some beautiful! God Bless Ma!

This image shows A and B companies to the left, C and D to the right - the column is long that E and F Companies are still in the fort with the gatling gun and 1 of the cannons.

This image is another shot of the 6th riding out!

In this shot we see a blurry Indian scout and in the background Colonel William Sloan, civil war veteran and veteran Indian fighter. His expedition was to eliminate any Sioux and Cheyenne threat in his area, some of these warriors were thought to be those responsible for the massacre of A company, 6th US Cavalry only weeks prior. You will note in the background Private Hebble carrying the 6th Guidon!

C company commander and 2 IC of the expedition, Major Thomas Kinkaid.

15 July Well Ma, just a hot day, nothin doin today. Never saw an Indian nor even another human bein. The Colonel split the column late yesterday afternoon, Major Kinkaid took C, D and F companies off to South while we headed due West lookin for a trail. The Indian scouts we got are Crow - they hate the Sioux and want us to punish em bad. Real hot today but we seen a cloud moving this way so its coolin down nice. It's peaceful out here right now, night ma, God Bless!

16 July Ma, after near two years out here I seen my first Buffalo, was a big herd movin along slow through a creek, never realized how big they was. No sign of trouble though, I did hear one of the scouts tell the Colonel that Major Kinkaid found a small trail though and was followin. God Bless Ma.

17 July Well what a day Ma, we woke to rain and it came down hard for about 20 minutes and then turned real hot. Major Kinkaid sent F company back to the Colonels column and they told us that they had met and put the run on to about 40 hostiles. They are some tough lookin guys from F company. That was round about lunch time. So later in the day we come upon a cattle heard and some cowpokes moving along. Said they saw some Indians but not much to speak to. As we closed in on supper we seen two fellers up on a butte but they road off afore we could talk to em. Night Ma and God Bless.

Cattle Drive

Who is that masked man!

F company.

18 July Hoooweee what a day Ma round about an hour after breakfast and breakin camp we came on a warm Indian camp, scouts say they were there only 4 hours prior, so the Colonel orders A company and the Headquarters (thats me too) out in a reconnaisance (big party to look for the hostiles. Well don't we ride out behind a hill an there they are - 40 or so just sitting grazin their ponies. Well we put in a pursuit but they was too fast and just scattered. First Sergant shot down 2 though an I got me one as well. Yee ha ma, first round to us! God Bless Ma!

Plaines Warriors, known as Hostiles to the men of the US Cavalry a term used for those not living peacefully on reservations.

Late 18 July - Ma, we got word from Maj Kinkaid that a lot of the hostiles are moving across our line of advance and the Colonel wants to hit em first light. So I am written now just in case. Supposed to be about 100 or so hostile, so the Colonel is lettin A company, the gatling gun and HQ move forward under command of Major Frisby (the Colonels aide) and the Colonel is taken B, E and F with him as well as the 2 cannon around to the right and Major Kinkaid is bringin C and D companies in from the left! God Bless Ma!

6th Regiment of US Cavalry War Diary
In the early hours of 19 July 14 troopers of A company and the Headquarters Detachment, along with 5 men manning a Gatling Gun and a further 6 troopers from B, C and D companies were killed in action with Hostile Indian Warriors. A three pronged attack on the Hostile encampment was planned by the Colonel. Major Kinkaid with C and D companies was to attack from the left,  while the Colonel with B, E and F companies and supported by 2 cannon would attack from the right. A company, the headquarters section along with the gatling gun was to hold the centre. The attack went very well but the estimate on how many hostiles there were was not accurate and instead of 100 warrior there were closer to 250! They tried to break out toward A company and managed to get in past the gatling gun and caused havoc, but not before the rest of the regiment put an end to the fight.

The Colonel with B, E and F Companies attack from the Right.

B and C companies CHARGE!

First Sgt and Pte Hebble

A company Skirmish line.

The Hostiles come boiling out of the encampment.

20 July Regiment was disposed of buring our dead, and the slain warriors - final count was 47 dead hostiles, the majority got away but we did bring in another 120 - mostly warriors with a few women and children. Major Kinkaid was sent on a reconnaisance with C and D companies to see if they could find the main Hostile encampment. We will refit in place and start out again in two days time.

Post Script - A letter from First Sergeant Dillon O'Conner to Mrs. Pamela Hebble.

Dear Mrs Hebble, I am sending you Jonas diary that he kept while on campaign. I think it is important for you to know that he was a brave and good soldier. He was killed by a number of Hostile warriors while defending two wounded troopers from A Company. I was too far away to react in time. For his bravery the Colonel has submitted his name for the Silver Star to the war department. I am truly sorry for your loss ma'am, he was a good boy and will be missed by the entire Regiment.

Your's
First Sgt Dillon O'Conner
6th Regiment of United States Cavalry

To join INEPTT Yahoo Group email me at - inep-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
or visit the site here - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/INEP/info

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pony Wars Mini Campaign
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »
Very cool! Played Pony Wars a couple of times and always had fun, but never had a chance to play something like your campaign. Do you know if the rules are still available?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »
Sorry Tom I am not sure if they are still available, I have seen them on Ebay and through Noble Knight Games from time to time.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I was very good friends with Greg Novak, who wrote those  (and many other) rules. Played several times at his house, but never got a copy of the rulebook. Oh well, maybe I will take a look at the places you mentioned.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:26:17 AM »
Shawn,

Very nice.  Pure imagination or interpretation of real history?  Also, what are using for the Buffalo calves?

I suppose I can try and count them, but how many figures to you have in a company and how many actual painted companies?  I ask to put in perspective with my own collection -- meeting tomorrow to discuss getting it all started, the painting and such.  Here is a link to the Old West page on my blog:

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/the-wild-west.html

And on the Home page, work your way down to a shot of my buffalo herd, I think it is August 10, 2012. (?)

I find 15 mm only gets scant notice here on LAF unless really painted well but take heart.  There are some of us here who are devotees of that scale.

Fun post here.

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:11:10 AM »
Its just a mini campaign I was playing using Pony Wars. I use 20 troopers per company in 4 sections of 5 men - 2 sections led by officers 2 by NCO's. I have 4 full strength companies and 2 half companies, but another 90 Blue Moon to paint. Infantry is 20 to a regiment in 2 companies of 10. I do have a small unit of 28mm Troopers and about 60 good and bad guys with townsfolk but I like my 15mm Pony Wars stuff alot and have had them going on 15 years now - we play as a secondary game to our main stream but everyone loves it!
I will check out your page thanks :)

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:31:33 AM »
Oh forgot to mention the buffalo calves come from the I think it was Mini-fig but I really can't remember - sorry :/