Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A mantic journey.  (Read 6045 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
A mantic journey.
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
Whilst browsing in my flgs the other day , icame across the king of war starter set marked up at £30 pounds.
now iv been wanting to buy this for a while ,and when i saw it for 30 ,i knew i had to have it.

let me tell you this ,its worth twice what i paid for it .112 miniatures!  :D

the only problem now is ,i have 112 miniatures to paint!

Anyway ,since i haven't posted much here yet ,and id hate to observe without contributing ,here is the first test model from the box,a  skeleton catapult commander.
this isn't the best photo ,and its not the best paint job ,but the best i could do with a fractured wrist .

please let me know what you think ,all c&c is much appreciated.  :D
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: A mantic journey.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
He looks great mate well done

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
cheers :)

i also used a few spare bits and good amount of green stuff to start making this happy chappy ,old na'gash the necromancer  :)

just gotta make sure that puppet stays on in the transport case ....  ???

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »
Scary! Love the concept and the way it's looking so far!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »
thanks. although i dont think il ever try and sculpt a puppet that size again , i must have accidentally squished him a hundred times .  lol

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your broken wrist...despite the injury the Skeleton Guy turned out TERRIFIC. The brushwork, color choices, & the base are GREAT; AND the pointing hand gives the mini a commanding, sinister aspect that makes the piece evocative. VERY WELL DONE!

The Necromancer/Puppet master has UBERCOOL potential. I look forward to his development.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 02:19:20 AM »
Great work...the skeletons are hands down there best release and the only real time they have got their products right in my opinion.

$30 looks like a steal.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your broken wrist...despite the injury the Skeleton Guy turned out TERRIFIC. The brushwork, color choices, & the base are GREAT; AND the pointing hand gives the mini a commanding, sinister aspect that makes the piece evocative. VERY WELL DONE!

The Necromancer/Puppet master has UBERCOOL potential. I look forward to his development.

cheers ,he's currently sitting primed on my desk awaiting his base coats.

Great work...the skeletons are hands down there best release and the only real time they have got their products right in my opinion.

$30 looks like a steal.

The great thing about the skeletons to my mind is that they actually look like they would fit inside a human body ,unlike alot of other makes ,which look more like men made of bone.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »
<snip>
The great thing about the skeletons to my mind is that they actually look like they would fit inside a human body ,unlike alot of other makes ,which look more like men made of bone.

That is well said, very clear (and insightful) point.  I had never viewed skeleton miniatures that way before.  And after 15 years in nursing (before I became a merchant of death facilitator) You think it would have dawned on me!

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 02:07:51 AM »
<snip>
the only problem now is ,i have 112 miniatures to paint!

<snip>

I tried computing how long it would take me to paint that many figures and I don't know which scares me more - the answer I got or the realization that I have over 400 dwarves alone that need painted!

Gracias

Glenn

Shaken to the bone

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »
I tried computing how long it would take me to paint that many figures and I don't know which scares me more - the answer I got or the realization that I have over 400 dwarves alone that need painted!

Gracias

Glenn

Shaken to the bone

My only hope is to use this as an exercise in speed painting  lol

luckily iv got the necromancer attached to his bade ,im still not happy with the end effect ,but i cant dwell on him too much ,and il get round to finishing him later .

I also assembled the balefire catapult and whilst
It fits mantics idea of big armies small prices ,it isn't a very imposing war machine .

I might build something big and skeleton driven later on in this project to add a little fear factor .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:14:24 PM by nic-e »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
just finished this little chap ,base is still wet.

its to dark here to get a good photo ,so until the sun comes up this is the best i can do ,just to show the color scheme.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
SLOW PROGRESS :O i didn't realize how little id put up till now,iv been too busy preparing my paintings to get round to some miniature artwork :D

anyway,here are a few more mini's done ,wish id got more done ,but its getting there ,slowly .

second dwarf done ,finally got a good photo.

second skelton crew member ,really not happy with him but if i ever want to get these models to the table then i cant afford to nitpick.

ghoul! these models are really nice ,with some great posses and little extras on the sprue.

now here's a question for you ,which way should i paint my dwarf Armour?
the more metallic one to the bottom of the picture ,or the rustier tone to the top?

as always ,cheers for any c&c ,and i hope il have more for you soon ,since my gallery exhibit goes up (and down) next week ,and I'm free all summer after that! :D

EGADS THESE PHOTOS ARE BAD! i shall have to get my other half to take them from now on ,shes the photographer after all ,I'm just the brush monkey  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:22:25 PM by nic-e »

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
Very well painted. The figs look great. Nice original looking bases as well. Nice work on focusing on the things that makes Mantic unique compared to GW.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
Some inspiring stuff here! I really like the necromancer!

As for the amrour, I like the bronze-looking rust armour myself.

Looking forward to seeing more progress :) No pressure of course!

n.