Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brig's Peak - East Africa 1941 Battle Report  (Read 4831 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Brig's Peak - East Africa 1941 Battle Report
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
Last Thursday I got in a cracking game of I Ain’t Been Shot Mum – here are some pics and a quick report.  As part of my ongoing WW2 East African campaign project, I’ve been trying out some scenarios based on the Battle of Keren in Feb-March 1941.  Last time out we tried a Cameron Ridge scenario using both IABSM and then Bolt Action; this time we played out a game based on the battles for Brig’s Peak, the highest peak at Keren – so called because ‘that’s the one the Brigadier wants.’  Brig’s Peak was viciously fought over and changed hands a couple of times, but the British never managed to hold onto and it remained under Italian control until the surrender in March 1941. 
The British started with 4 infantry sections, a sniper and a 2” mortar on Brig’s Peak itself – their mission was to hold off the Italians until the end of the game.  They were led by RSM ‘Basher’ Mactaggart (a Level 3 Big Man) and Lance-Corporal Jones, and also had a Forward Observer who could call up the fire of a pair of 3” mortars in support.  All troops were rated as Elite, although each section had to take a dice roll before the game to see if it had already suffered any casualties; I got off very lightly, only taking a few points of Shock.
The Italians had 6 infantry sections, a Fiat-Revelli MMG, and additional support from a pair of mountain guns.  They were led by 3 Big Men (levels 1, 2 and 3).  All were rated as Veteran.
Playing IABSM in 28mm, we simply used 1 card for each section (so the Allied Platoon 1 card meant Allied Section 1 instead), and just doubled all the distances.  We also decided to deploy all units on table at the start of the game, rather than using blinds – this gave us a slightly faster playing time (2 and half hours), which was what we needed on a weekday evening with work the next day!  We also added in some extra cards: Allied Ammo Shortage; Allies & Axis Rally; Allied & Axis Heroic Leaders (there were many brave feats during the battle on both sides); and two blank cards to represent the treacherous rocky slopes which characterised the Keren battlefield (if one of  these was drawn, the next section/ Big Man would be unable to move that turn.)  Terrain-wise, we used a sand cloth with some rocky terrain pieces on top (not quite a vertiginous as the real terrain, but fine for a wargame!)  The small peak in the centre was Brig’s Peak itself.
THE BATTLEFIELD - BRIG'S PEAK AT BACK, ITALIANS AT FRONT

The battle started with a hail of fire from the Italian mountain guns deployed on the Italian right – despite the cover of Brig’s Peak, the British units took a number of hits.  Not for the first time, lucky dice rolling on my part meant that casualties were minimal, and my British sniper got the gunners’ heads down with a number of Shock points caused by his sharpshooting.  The firefight continued across the battlefield and, as the turns rolled on, the Italian numbers began to tell.  My section deployed on the left was in good shape and was being well-supported by the 2” mortar team at the rear of the peak and the two Big Men; however, the Italian MMG chewed up the sections holding the front of Brig’s Peak, and the Italian Tenente ordered an advance on the Italian left and centre.  RSM Mactaggart was about to rush back to rally his men, when he tripped over a rock and was forced to stay put!  Fortunately, the British FO had managed to call up the 3” mortars and caught an Italian unit with the first salvo, causing no damage but pinning the section. 
With a few lucky cards and two Big Men leading the attack, the Italians rapidly approached the peak and drove off the defending units, now down to their last few men and heavily shocked.  At this point the Italian Heroic Leader card came up, so we allowed the Tenente an extra turn to assault the peak – the three Italian sections heroically scaled the peak and drove off the defenders with grenades.  At this point I certainly thought it was game over, but the next card happened to be Allied Heroic Leader!  This allowed RSM Mactaggart to lead his final remaining rifle section in a final, desperate charge to drive the Italians off the peak.  With around 10 dice vs the Italians’ 14 or so, I thought it was unlikely to succeed, so I was amazed to roll 6 kills against 2.  The Italians lost by 4, and fled down the slopes, closely followed by a hail of Mills bombs and falling rocks.
With that, it was all over.  The British had a close victory, although were in no state to hold the peak and would have been forced to withdraw had we played a few more turns.  Lots of fun and a great chance to use a mixture of Italians, Brits and Askari models.  Maybe we’ll replay using Bolt Action next week?

ASKARI MOUNTAIN GUNS UNDER FIRE

CAMERON HIGHLANDERS HOLD FIRM WHILE BEING SHELLED

BRITISH SNIPER

ERITREAN ASKARIS & MMG

THE TENENTE ORDERS HIS MEN TO ATTACK

ON BRIG'S PEAK, THE FORWARD OBSERVER (left) CALLS FOR MORTAR SUPPORT

AVANTI SAVOIA!  ITALIANS UNDER MORTAR FIRE

ITALIANS REACH THE PEAK

FALL BACK BOYS!  THE BRITS IN TROUBLE

IS IT ALL OVER?  ITALIANS SCALE BRIG'S PEAK

RSM MACTAGGART LEADS HIS FINAL BAYONET CHARGE

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
Re: Brig's Peak - East Africa 1941 Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
 :o One of the best things I've seen on this forum! Well done!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
Fantastic work! You know I'm borrowing your terrain ideas!  :D
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
Well done, love it.
Have always wanted to do this area of WWII.
I can enjoy the photos, even if I never paint and play the time period.
Thanks again for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »
Lovely work James. Love the report and photos, well done.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Nicely done. Love East African front in WWII.  Lots of varied and interesting units.
Chris Stoesen

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
Nicely done. Love East African front in WWII.  Lots of varied and interesting units.

Thank you. Are you the same Chris Stoesen who wrote the IABSM East Africa supplement?

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
Yes sir.  It was a fun one to work on. 

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Very nice indeed!  :-* Good to see a little-played theater of WW2, especially so well done.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

former user

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
this is so visually appealing!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
Love IEA WW2 scenarios.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
Yes sir.  It was a fun one to work on. 

I only found it a couple of months ago, but it's really well-researched and full of good ideas.  I struggled with the hex maps a bit, but I think anyone trying to map certain parts of East Africa in 2d is on a hiding to nothing anyway... :)  Anyway, great resource for anyone interested in East Africa WW2!

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
A beautiful spread!

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 01:44:31 AM »
Thanks for buying it.  The Hex maps were due to the software that I had at the time.  I had a map maker that came with a computer game to make custom scenarios for it.  It was great at the time but looks horrible now.  I have since moved on and purchased Campaign Cartographer.  I like it much better. 

Love your miniatures by the way.  The casualty figure looks great.  I have a bunch of 15mm Italian Colonial troops that are not quite what I wanted.  They are from an older figure like that had a whopping 2 poses to work with.  Still they are great fun.  I included some standard bearers as well.  I purchased some cavalry as well but really never got around to painting them.

Offline ilkley Old School

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
Hi

Very nice indeed - East Africa is very interesting often over looked theatre of WW2

There are some pictures of one of my blogs from a few years back.

http://ilkleylads.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/world-war-2-east-african-use-fob.html

http://ilkleylads.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/blog-post_09.html

Its a while since these figures have been used however I have game set up for my first game of Bolt Action.

Cheers

Mark
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:05:12 PM by ilkley Old School »