Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Brigade Games Gladiator WIP (upd. 08.09.13)  (Read 13505 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Brigade Games Gladiator WIP (upd. 08.09.13)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
Maybe there's a gap in the market there Nick.

Decent 40mm gladiators?...  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Don't need any more gladiators but don't know when I've ever heeded that advice  :D

What we really need is a set of spectators - multi pose variants so possibly separate head / torso / lower half tpyes, sitting and standing...................

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Love that Charun figure! The rest are all excellent as well, but he stands out!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Maybe there's a gap in the market there Nick.

Decent 40mm gladiators?...  ;)

The thought had already crossed my mind... ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
The thought had already crossed my mind... ;)

Good man.  ;)

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »
 :-* :-* lovely stuff.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »
Can't wait to order more!

PS: I'm really really glad we're likely to end up with two poses for each gladiator type.  This is a huge consideration when doing a small line like Gladiators...as occasionally you'll have two of the same involved on the board, and it's always sad when every single Myrmillo from every gladiator school in Rome is the same pose!  lol

Things I hope we see by the end:

Myrmillo (Check)
Thraex (Check)
Secutor (Check)
Retiarius (Check)
Laquearius
Arbelas/Scissor (Check)
Dimachaerus
Crupellarius (Check)
Hoplomachus (Check)
Provocator (Check)
Equites*

*Would be a nice idea since so many games involve rules for fighting animals and they were mostly similarly outfitted, aaaand I don't think I've seen a good one on the market.

Charon (Check)
Coach/Referee (Check)
+Hopefully a handful of spectators, etc.

So as a whole, we're looking pretty damn good I'd say.  I'd like to see a Dimachaerus dressed up like Nossov's book, equipped with a helmet, two swords, and a chain mail tunic, more akin to the Arbelas/Scissor, as opposed to the two armored/padded sleeves.  Either way I'm pretty excited!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:55 AM »
I'm buying the whole line once it's largely complete.  I painted most of the whole School of Gladiators from Foundry, plus most of Crusader's range some time ago. Looks like I'll need to start another ludus altogether to square up with them.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
I just got my set today, and I have mixed feelings overall.  The quality of the sculpts is great, but a little on the small side when compared to other ranges, so mixing them with say Crusader gladiators will show one Secutor with a helm about twice the size of the other....  There was not only a good dal of flash, but awful flash on the VERY thinly cast swords, which is the worst to clean.  To be honest, a couple of them I'm ready to chuck in the trash....

I wouldnt buy any more from this range, they wont last long in good condition.  Sad, the sculpts themselves, if bigger and more robust, would have been PERFECT.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Mine were very okay on the flash-side, minus the shield issue (poorly cast).  How big are Crusader's figures?  My BG ones work quite well with the Foundry ones. 

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Mine were very okay on the flash-side, minus the shield issue (poorly cast).  How big are Crusader's figures?  My BG ones work quite well with the Foundry ones. 

The shield issue has been resolved and they are casting fine now.
Lon Weiss
BrigadeGames
Boot Hill

http://www.BrigadeGames.com

http://www.BrigadeGamesMinis.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brigadegames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrigadeGames

IG: https://www.instagram.com/BrigadeGames<br /

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 05:05:55 AM »
I just got my set today, and I have mixed feelings overall.  The quality of the sculpts is great, but a little on the small side when compared to other ranges, so mixing them with say Crusader gladiators will show one Secutor with a helm about twice the size of the other....  There was not only a good dal of flash, but awful flash on the VERY thinly cast swords, which is the worst to clean.  To be honest, a couple of them I'm ready to chuck in the trash....

I wouldnt buy any more from this range, they wont last long in good condition.  Sad, the sculpts themselves, if bigger and more robust, would have been PERFECT.

Send a picture of the figures with the flash to me at brigade games AT YAHOO DOT com.
I am not sure how I would have missed it as I would typically just remelt those.

And to be clear this is flash on some of the swords and not vent worms, correct?
Generally if there is some venting on them I will not clean them. Some customers are very particular and don't want me to do that so with swords I generally leave them alone. Most I find file edges of the swords to get the look they want.

As far as the size of the swords you know we manufacturers can not win. Some complain when swords are too thick or oversized and some complain when too thin. I am not sure how these can actually be classified as too thin though. The swords are decently sized but not oversized or thick. They can not be compared with the very thick and oversized swords in some other ranges.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
Cheers mate!  I had no idea that someone from Brigade was on this thread :).  The shields look fine, no problems there, so that issue was fixed before my stuff arrived.  I totally understand about the swords widths, it's why I wasn't going to contact your shop, I figured it's not really your fault or Paul's, just how it was interpreted....  But the sword on Secutor that has it out to his right side, that arrived all bend up and when I tried to straighten it as best as I could, I found a good deal of flash that made the fix even more difficult.  I thought to either try a plastic sword repalcement, or just toss the figure.  A shame, because of the nice scuplts Paul did.

Give me a day or so and I'll email a photo to your Yahoo.

Cheers!

Send a picture of the figures with the flash to me at brigade games AT YAHOO DOT com.
I am not sure how I would have missed it as I would typically just remelt those.

And to be clear this is flash on some of the swords and not vent worms, correct?
Generally if there is some venting on them I will not clean them. Some customers are very particular and don't want me to do that so with swords I generally leave them alone. Most I find file edges of the swords to get the look they want.

As far as the size of the swords you know we manufacturers can not win. Some complain when swords are too thick or oversized and some complain when too thin. I am not sure how these can actually be classified as too thin though. The swords are decently sized but not oversized or thick. They can not be compared with the very thick and oversized swords in some other ranges.

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »
How long until these are all out of rather get them all in one hit!  8)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 02:11:30 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  I'm getting the whole lot of them rather than going piecemeal.