Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691096
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The white queen.  (Read 7993 times)

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
The white queen.
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
The white queen on bbc, anybody been watching this looks quite good..

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The white queen.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
I gave up after the first couple of episodes. My wife is still following it addictedly. I think it's one for the girls. The history is broadly right but very sketchy in some places and fanciful in others. But the look and feel of the whole thing is totally wrong. The actors look improbable, the costumes are way out, the buildings are way too modern and so is the dialogue, the battle scenes are non existent, and the scenes where you see 'an army', usually involve about three bored looking exras in leotards and fibre glass breastplates. I found the whole thing disappointingly shit in many ways. Pity. Could have been so good.

I guess if you just sit back and think of it as a kind of fairytale made on a budget, it's probably enjoyable enough in its own right. But as a dramatization of the Wars of the Roses - frankly you're better off with Shakespeare.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
Phew!

Am I glad that you took the time to write that, Richard?
I certainly am.
I was gutted that I had missed the first two episodes due to work and was going to get it on DVD when it is released.
I think I will spend the scheckles elsewhere.
Thank you!
 :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
Just my point of view Paul. I could be wrong  ;)
As I say, the wife loves it.
And I'm usually fine with a few historical inaccuracies. But we're so used to seeing great looking CGI armies in movies these days, and even in things like GoT, that the old BBC trick of trying to get away with it by missing the action scenes altogether and skimping on extras - and then making no attempt to even get the arms and armour right, just doesn't cut it any more.

I think this was an attempt to capitalise on the very popular 'The Tudors' in a similar vein. The difference with the Tudors was, even though it was far-fetched in places and the actors all looked like models, the period look and flavour of the costumes and settings felt right. Sadly this is very much not the case with The White Queen. I also think the dialogue and acting in the Tudors was a lot better.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
I gave up after the first couple of episodes. My wife is still following it addictedly. I think it's one for the girls. The history is broadly right but very sketchy in some places and fanciful in others. But the look and feel of the whole thing is totally wrong. The actors look improbable, the costumes are way out, the buildings are way too modern and so is the dialogue, the battle scenes are non existent, and the scenes where you see 'an army', usually involve about three bored looking exras in leotards and fibre glass breastplates. I found the whole thing disappointingly shit in many ways. Pity. Could have been so good.

I guess if you just sit back and think of it as a kind of fairytale made on a budget, it's probably enjoyable enough in its own right. But as a dramatization of the Wars of the Roses - frankly you're better off with Shakespeare.

My thoughts and actions exactly, it was A soap opera in tights :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Can't really argue with the Captain, there. My wife is still watching it "just in case it gets good" (bit late now, pet...) but I lost interest very quickly.

Couldn't help thinking that if Warwick had put his armour on properly before he was laid out in state, maybe they wouldn't have been able to kill him so easily...  ::)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
Disappointing. I liked it, but as I googled bits I found just how wide of the mark it was and that and the costumes have made me less and less interested as the episodes pass. Now I know what really happened I don't care about dramatisation.

Also I can't work out why you'd want to dress or set characters in anything other than the correct period setting!? 5 mins on the web would give you all the examples for correct costumes, equipment etc you need.

I'm sure there's loads of reenactors who'd love to be an extra - ask the Companie of Saint George if you want world class, or at least the "local" WOTR Federation. Bruges may be lovely, but don't we have enough castles and palaces in the UK to serve as the background for our own history?

Rant over lol!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »
I'm pleased now that i didn't bother on a hunch ...
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
Disappointing. I liked it, but as I googled bits I found just how wide of the mark it was and that and the costumes have made me less and less interested as the episodes pass. Now I know what really happened I don't care about dramatisation.

Also I can't work out why you'd want to dress or set characters in anything other than the correct period setting!? 5 mins on the web would give you all the examples for correct costumes, equipment etc you need.

I'm sure there's loads of reenactors who'd love to be an extra - ask the Companie of Saint George if you want world class, or at least the "local" WOTR Federation. Bruges may be lovely, but don't we have enough castles and palaces in the UK to serve as the background for our own history?

Rant over lol!

Reminded me of the latest BBC series of Robin Hood to be honest ;D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
Reminded me of the latest BBC series of Robin Hood to be honest ;D

Exactly. It's a conceit, trying to make period dramas feel more 'contemporary', by giving the characters more modern motivations and costuming them in a kind of hybrid period-cum-modern clothes. I just don't think it works.

Bruges may be lovely, but don't we have enough castles and palaces in the UK to serve as the background for our own history?

Many of the grander city buildings shown as backdrops are manifestly red brick edifices from the C17th and C18th. About 300 years too late.
Again, it all contributes to a weird sense of dislocation. That these are somehow proto-modern day people in a quasi-modern setting.
In short, it just doesn't feel authentic or medieval at all. Which is why (for me anyway) it doesn't work and I gave up on it after two or three episodes...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
I gave up after 2 episodes. I've seen screenshots with modern guttering and downcomers, etc. with no attempt to even disguise them. Details like that kill off any pretence of atmosphere and context (look at Jim Bibbly's recent work for how this should work, where the attention to detail draws you in). The historical side just seemed to be rushed through in an "in other news Edward is king; no he's not; yes he is again" sort of way. If it's meant to be a drama focusing on 'people' why bother to try and base it on real people and events if it just comes across as a bit rubbish historical fiction?

Other than that it was great!'   ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Just my point of view Paul. I could be wrong  ;)

You're not! I concur with all the points you made in your post above.

It is abysmal and that is being kind  lol!!

Darrell.

PS. what was with the soldiers refusing to wear armour on their right arms and legs??? Wierd, just plain wierd....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:18:35 PM by Atheling »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
The armour thing? Yeah I saw that and thought grrrrrr....but....

http://je-lay-emprins.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/one-pauldron-and-four-destriers.html

And I thought, well blow me down a lucky coincidence surely!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
And I thought, well blow me down a lucky coincidence surely!

I'd still be slightly wary of Medieval artistic convention as it had it's own rules and conventions that did not necessarily follow consistently the actual facts. It's something that I looked at quite a lot when i was doing my Fine Art degree.

Maybe for a Scurror? A lowly gentleman?  But for the high nobility, as depicted in the series??? I seriously doubt it to be honest. Quite confident that they never went into battle in such harness.

Darrell.

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
I think we now know a huge amount about the highly sophisticated 'white armour' and liveries of the period. And we know that most 'men-at-arms' of any rank or standing could afford some sort of suit of armour, and that the top nobility and royalty would almost certainly have had the latest and best stuff, head-to-toe.

So seeing Max Irons as Edward IV, supposedly en route to war, galloping alone through the countryside wearing a skanky breastplate over a kind of silver spandex Star Trek tunic, leatherette tights and pixie boots is just piss-poor. It's girlie fantasy, which is fine as long as you don't set it up as history. But unavoidably, that's how the layman takes it. Which is a shame, because it just perpetuates the foolish Victorian romantic stereoptypes of all things medieval as men-in-tights and short skirts... Grrr.  >:(