Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:47:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697735
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saxon Dogs Eagle Game from Claymore 2013  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Saxon Dogs Eagle Game from Claymore 2013
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
I just thought I'd let you goodly folks know that I've got quite a few snaps of Saxon Dog's Eagle game on my blog:

Here:

http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/claymore-rep.html

And here:

http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-eagle-bonus-pics.html

And a taster:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Saxon Dogs Eagle Game from Claymore 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
What a lovely game! And that's even an Eagle game, I'm reading Scarrow books just right now!

I tell you, I need a Roman fort and I need a testudo :)

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »
Awsome :-* ... Just re reading the scarrow books and I've gone abit crazy now I've seen this fort its a must now!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
To be honest, i haven't read any of the Scarrow books.... would you recommend them?

How are they when compared with say Cornwell?

Darrell.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
Never read any of Cornwell books, but I like what I've read of Scarrow's (just reading the second Eagle book). Perhaps apart of his attempts to make the centurions speaking like a famous  sergeant from "Full Metal Jacket" :) But the rest of it is quite enjoyable.

Btw, what rules did they use for the game?

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
The scarrow book in my opinion are some really good reads. Macro reminds me of my partners dad so anything about him makes me laugh. Scarrow books have put some great game ideas into my head  ;D... alas haven't read any cornwell... Cornwal books and Ben Kane books are on my birthday list though so fingers crossed.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
The scarrow book in my opinion are some really good reads. Macro reminds me of my partners dad so anything about him makes me laugh. Scarrow books have put some great game ideas into my head  ;D...

Might well consider him next time I'm in Waterstones or on Amazon then  :).

alas haven't read any cornwell... Cornwal books and Ben Kane books are on my birthday list though so fingers crossed.

They'r ealright but not what i would call classic literature  :D.

Worth a read as it does give you a flavour of Early Medieval/Sub Roman warfare, albeit often a false one  ;) :). Good fun though.

Darrell.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »
Beautiful! Who does the Testudo again? Is it Warlords?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
Beautiful! Who does the Testudo again? Is it Warlords?

I think it is.

Darrell.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
Said it on the blog, repeat it here: Many thanks for sharing your photos of this excellent game!

Btw, what rules did they use for the game?

Dux Britanniarum. Find the setup here.

A nitpicking side note: I gather the game was based on the movie which, in turn, was inspired by Rosemary Sutcliff's novel 'Eagle of the Ninth'. Okay, it's all EIR, but Scarrow's Imperial Romans are slightly Earlier than Sutcliff's. ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:56:37 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
Said it on the blog, repeat it here: Many thanks for sharing your photos of this excellent game!

Dux Britanniarum. Find the setup here.

A nitpicking side note: I gather the game was based on the movie which, in turn, was inspired by Rosemary Sutcliff's novel 'Eagle of the Ninth'. Okay, it's all EIR, but Scarrow's Imperial Romans are slightly Earlier than Sutcliff's. ;)

Thanks for the link and the hint, Doc, you're quite correct, looks like I'm just too excited of my Scarrow's reading.

Dux Britanniarum. Heard of it but never had a look, is this something SAGA-like?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »
Dux Britanniarum. Heard of it but never had a look, is this something SAGA-like?

Sizewise, yes, fairly. DuxBrit starts with about 40 figures per side.
For setting, not yet. SAGA focusses on the Viking Age, whereas DuxBrit is at its core set in the 5th and 6th centuries. Both sets can be used beyond, of course, as shown by the Eagle game.
In regard of rules, no. DuxBrit is unit-based and overall has a less 'gamery' approach than SAGA. There are some AARs on the Lard Island Blog, just search for "dux" – here's an example.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:07:40 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
Great looking game!

The Scarrow books are a great read. If I hadn't already bought boxes of Hat 1/72 Carthaginians & Republican Romans I'd be buying figures for Claudius' invasion of Britain.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »

Dux Brit is set in the 5th/6th centuries and is designed to game the Age of Arthur in the style of the 'pseudo-history' based on the works of Gildas and Nennius. It therefore has Britons vs Saxons, with Britons using shieldwall tactics and the Saxons being more traditional barbarians.

It is small unit-based (6-8 models per unit, although you could use slightly bigger units and it wouldn't break it) and the game is based on cards to activate the leaders in each warband (so it's not IgoUgo). It also has additional cards giving you special abilities, like goading your opponent, aggressive charge, etc, that can be played when nobles activate.
Command and control by key nobles is very important in the rules (the activation sequence being a big part of this) It also has a brilliant system of 'shock' which is added to units when they fight and, the more shock they get, the worse they move and fight. This can be rallied off by nobles with the units (that emphasis on command and control again) Morale is daelt with at whole force level, so, as units get destroyed or nobles die, the overall force morale depletes. If it gets to zero, game over...Simple, but brilliantly effective.

It's a fabulous set of rules IMHO and I play it a lot (check out numerous posts on my blog) It also has a brilliant in-built campaign system, although that is more 'Arthurian-specific' and would take more work to adapt for other periods.

It wouldn't take a lot of effort ( and minimal tweaks) to use the basic mechanisms for the Late Roman empire and even for earlier Romans as per Saxon Dog's game.