Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Please tell me about .45 adventure, is it for me? really no one want to help me?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Hi everyone, been playing Strange Aeons, and is great, but I would want an alternative and maybe a game abit more story/scenario driven.
Please tell me about the game.

I'm Mostly for the horror/call of Cthulhu setting, and despise anything 'steam-tech'.

What are the standard size gaming table area in .45 adventure?

What books do I need to buy?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:59:04 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »
-Brian Bjerregaard Bergh

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Please tell me about .45 adventure, is it for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
The basic book is enough and you can play on a 60cm x 60cm area for 28mm. The idea is that you'd have several playing areas for a story, each board being an encounter that contains markers that need collecting/finding to progress to the next encounter.

It turned out not to be my thing but several people here stage very good games using the rules.

Have a look at Pulp Alley, also supported here. http://pulpalley.com/

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Re: Please tell me about .45 adventure, is it for me?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »
Thanks for advice.

Seems like no .45 Adventures players want answer my questions. sad.

I have additional questions:

Beside de .45 Adventure rulebook, what else books would I need to acquire?

Buying the printed book: What quality is it in?, a real press printed book or laser printed pages? 

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
Its been awhile since I played .45 adventure, and I prefer 1st edition, (mainly because all dice hate me), but here goes....

You only need the rule book.  Every other book I bought are scenarios & campaign modifications, as long as you can invent your own you do not need them.

We play it as squad level combat; you can use it for anything: crime fighting, pulp, aliens, whatever.  No steam/cthulhu/zombies required.

I think the books are professionally printed, but I am not sure how to tell the difference.
They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
I think I answered you on the Facebook page, but like others have said, you only need the main rulebook.

The book is printed (not photocopied and sent as loose pages). But it is just a paperback book. If you get a lot of use out of it, you'll probably just want the PDF so you can replace any pages that get torn etc. from excessive gameplay.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Where do you live, Bergh? Maybe we could get together for some Pulp gaming (I have most of the .45A stuff and quite a few painted Pulp minis (and play Strange Aeons, too)).

Are you one of the guys from Horisont?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
I live in Frederikshavn, Nordjylland. So its sadly not around the corner.

I have attended Horisont last two years, and counting on it again this year.

I would love to hear more about .45A, and I want to know more about its main difference with Strange Aeons if you know that system. Or its the same fish just another flavour.

Been looking at a game called "Pulp Alley", they seem to have a stack of cards called "fortune deck", which are random things happening. This I miss in Strange Aeons. the best games are those where you think "i'm winning" next your are like "Oh no! my masterplan is ruined" and have to adapt to the new situation.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
The flavours of .45A and SA are somewhat different, with SA focussing on Mythos (as you know), where .45A is more lighthearted.

Not to say that you cannot game darker stories with .45A, but it's not the main focus.

Where SA is a full blooded miniatures skirmish game, .45A is more like a hybrid between that and an RPG, with more in-depth possibilities for fleshing out your characters to be real unique personalities.

Pulp Alley lies somewhere in between, and the cards are not cataclysmic events that win or lose the game, but rather used as obstacles (perils) that must be overcome, f.x. to solve plot points. They MAY just be the last straw to tip over the course of events, but, after reading the rules, I feel tactics (and luck) will have greater impact on the outcome of a game.

I would recommend getting both - they both have a lot to offer, and the best thing is, you can use your pulp-era minis for all 3 games  :)

Offline Bergh

• Scientist
Thanks for your little walk though of the games.

If I know myself, I will own all the three rule systems in time. :-)

I have seen there are many expansions or extra books for .45 Adventure, and seems some of them are OOP.
which of those do I need to run games with a horror/the mummy/vs. cultist/monsters setting?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
I don't know how much of the stuff from the OOP books are included in the 2nd Ed. rulebook (note to self: get the book), but I would say, just start with the main rules - you'll find that it's easy to create monsters and the likes with just a little imagination.

For inspiration, Valley of the Thunder Lizard has examples of dinos.

There are, to my knowledge, no rules for magic and other supernatural stuff, as is, but if you run games as a GM, making up some scenario-specific rules for magical artefacts, summoned entities, etc., that can be refined and used over and over, is not that difficult.

I invented a quirk for a big, not too clever, brawler henchman: Supersticious, which would require him to make a test against his Mind (I think it's called - I haven't got the rules with me) whenever facing something that might  be supernatural, and suffering an ill effect due to fear if failed, and I also constructed some guard mummies for a temple buried under the sands of Egypt.

SA is (Again, AFAIK) the only one of the 3 that specifically deals with the supernatural, although I suspect the nice chap and gal behind Pulp Alley have something up their sleeves regarding this, too.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley

Been looking at a game called "Pulp Alley", they seem to have a stack of cards called "fortune deck", which are random things happening. This I miss in Strange Aeons. the best games are those where you think "i'm winning" next your are like "Oh no! my masterplan is ruined" and have to adapt to the new situation.

Bergh, your PDF was sent and your package will be posted later today.

If supernatural is your thing, you'll find your new Perilous Island book VERY handy.  :D

Have fun and let us know if you have any questions.

THANKS

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
If supernatural is your thing, you'll find your new Perilous Island book VERY handy.  :D

Waiting for mine to arrive (not complaining, just saying), so I couldn't tell. Looking forward to reading it  :D