Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691473
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pics of East German T-72s?  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: Pics of East German T-72s?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
I actually like to browse it for laughs and procastination, but not as a reliable source. Possibly a starting point, but never an uncorroborated source.

This is what they keep saying in faculty. The thing is, almost anyone can write and edit articles there. I, personally, find it hard to believe someone would (intentionally, at least) write a full sourced article full of lies, but would include the good links. Half of the pages on the internet could easily be misleading, anyways. I was dumb enough to go into a "opinion clash" with someone on the Youtube, who claimed he has read other youtube comments and thus he knows he is right - on an opinion as silly as saying water is not a liquid.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I, personally, find it hard to believe someone would (intentionally, at least) write a full sourced article full of lies, but would include the good links.

I dunno, who is to say David Irving doesn't fill his leisure hours writing Wiki articles? Given his publishing career is at an end it wouldn't surprise me.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
Well... it is not just the writer of an article, but the people who do the edits... the article on the Battle of Ismailia (with T-55 to stay in theme) is quite funny even confusing places on the west bank of the Canal with places on the East Bank and suddenly having an airbase near Cairo popping out as it was near Ismailia... well it is wiki after all... I tend to use it for the plot of movies and videogames... ahahahah...  :o

Now back to T-72. I have checked the SIPRI database of arm transfer and they never got to Vietnam... even T-62 were supplied after the fall of Saigon, yet Chris is wrong in saying Hanoi was a second rate client, it was quite close to Moscow (they got pretty high quality air defence stuff, not that they did any good when the SAC finally got its ass in shape on 26 December and well in 1973 it was the PAVN who had been humiliated and Hanoi crying... but these are details). Hanoi leadership was quite close to Moscow anyway and become closer and closer after 75 plus they provided Moscow with decent port facilities in the South China sea. The main problem for soviet supplies was the need to bargain with China for overland transfer and to use a single port that in the end got shut down by the USN; so there was a need of prioritize stuff. Air defence equipment and artillery seemed to have made up the bulk of Soviet deliveries with tanks mainly coming from China (thus a lot of Type 59). 

Also I have doubt that sending the -72 to Vietnam would have made sense. it was new, untested, probably too cramped for the climate and the autoloader system and cartridge seem to have shared the same humidity problem of the Sheridan cases. But no one on Wiki seems to have thought about that...  lol

allied tanks in Vietnam were only M48, M41, M551 (more than a brief stint),  Centurions, and a couple of dozens of M24... I know the AVLB and M728 but their are not tanks and no M60A1 ever shipped, they were reserved for Europe and CONUS formations. 

Thanks for the tip on Petner's Panzers. Well I think that for the -72 I will have to stick with QRF and the new Zvezda...

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com