Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Doom (Reaper / Bethesda)  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Doom (Reaper / Bethesda)
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
http://store.bethsoft.com/doom-pewter-miniatures-set.html

And if you think this set is expensive, I urge you to check the prices of 1996 originals on eBay. It got utterly crazy when one dedicated collector from Texas started to bid on everything in the last decade. An arm and a leg won't buy you some of the individual models so in a sense it's a bargain...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Doom (Reaper / Bethesda)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
£160 bit much.... :o
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
What the hell?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:40:32 AM »
Wow. If I had an extra 200 dollars lying around, I still would by something else.    lol

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:55:58 AM »
I will be looking into this. I have a large collection of the original figures, but am missing one or two. Now I can finally get those figures, and maybe the e-bay prices will plummet. A seller wanted $200 for one of the figures I need, and it wasn't even the big guy.   

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:11:36 AM »
Or pick these up and sell them on ebay to people who are unaware they've been re-released....quick buck.

That being said, I've never seen the draw of DOOM...old and pissy-lookin'.  It was a fun silly old PC game and it should have stayed that way.  :?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »
Miniatures aren't anything amazing, I guess they're appeasing to nostalgia.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
As much as I partially agree with the last couple of posts....
I'd be all over this if I had £££ to just blow! o_o

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
I think it's fairly obvious that already the original set was targeted to collectors/fans more than to mini gamers, and since the prices went to $50+ per mini, that's definitely been the case. Similarly this one is a collectors' set with no apparent intent to sell them as singles or anything gamer (or wallet) friendly. Spot "limited edition" and other popular buzzwords of price-hiking.

Or pick these up and sell them on ebay to people who are unaware they've been re-released....quick buck.

Well, note that these have completely different base markings. You'd have to "accidentally forget" mentioning that in the item description, which is about as cool as selling an empty console box "as seen in the picture".

Although I did hear about a couple of people dumping their old collections for premium prices while the re-release rumours hadn't spread too widely yet...

That being said, I've never seen the draw of DOOM...old and pissy-lookin'.  It was a fun silly old PC game and it should have stayed that way.  :?

You don't have to like it, but in the context of FPSs or even computer gaming in general, it was a major landmark release. It was really pushing the limits of technologically possible back then. Also, it's plain and simple action, barely matched to this day. Compare and contrast:

[noembed]Actual gameplay[/noembed]
[noembed]If Doom was done today[/noembed] ;)

(Err...just in case that someone is unaware of the concept of Doom, should I mention that these contain pixel violence and mild hellish references like only a 1993 PC game could?)

Another fascinating thing is that people are still speedrunning, mapping and modding it actively. For example, Brutal Doom 0.19 should be released around this time. The name is accurate so search for it at your own risk.

I could even buy this set, but the thought of paying first $200, then shipping, then 24% VAT, and possibly 4.7% customs fee makes getting triple-rocketed by a cyberdemon feel gentle in comparison. :'(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
I know what you're saying...but to me there is a huge difference between a ground-breaking video game, and a decent, interesting IP.  The same could be said of HALO...a ground breaking video game, but one of the most blase, copy-cat, useless, non-atmospheric IP's ever devised in the history of gaming.

One does not equal the other in my opinion.  :(

PS: I don't scam people on eBay, but it doesn't mean I don't recognize an opportunity when it pops up.  lol  You know that guy you get an incredible deal from on eBay and you know he lost a lot of money selling X, Y or Z?  That's me... :'(

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
I know what you're saying...but to me there is a huge difference between a ground-breaking video game, and a decent, interesting IP.  The same could be said of HALO...a ground breaking video game, but one of the most blase, copy-cat, useless, non-atmospheric IP's ever devised in the history of gaming.

totally agree with you about Halo, cannot see why there is so much fuss over it's fluff. I recall back in 95/96 when it was originally slated for a Mac only release before Microsoft stepped in. Imagine if it had stayed like that  lol

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »

For folks my age (early 40's) it's pure nostalgia.  Doom was the very first PC game I ever played so it will always have a place in my heart.  Compared to the console games of my youth (Donkey Kong!) Doom was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I've got the Doom board game and expansion from FFG, so I don't need to scratch that itch with the metal figures though.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Yeah I get the nostalgia thing (I'm early 30's so Doom was also my first PC game FPS)...I'd just rather a T-shirt than figs.  lol

Offline GladioHumanitas

• Bookworm
  • I can't see through this helmet.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:58:41 AM »
I've definitely wanted to see some of Doom's enemies as miniatures but I didn't know they actually existed, and I'm definitely not paying that much for them.

Oh and in the defense of Doom's actual PC incarnation, it's still got one very important advantage over modern FPS games:

"His ability to outrun a burning hydrogen airship was lacking, so the Law of Natural Selection said he had to go (it's not always a fair statute)."

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
Doom was definitely awesome but its wolfenstein 3d that got me hooked on FPS, predating even doom. Anyone else remember the game?