Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mech's in Richter Scale  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
Re: Mech's in Richter Scale
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
Eilif,
We haven't decided on rules yet. We have a very good set we developed but definitely not Battletech. They don't adapt well to this scale and bog down in convention games quickly. We run into the "rules set" question every time we make a colossal convention game and generally create a set to match the feel we want to achieve without adapting the terrain to suit the mechanics. Right now we have 45 Mech models, most somewhere in different stages of production, around 300 infantry and a dozen 25mm vehicles. They will never see the game table at the same time. We don't want to fall prey to that all-the-toys-on-the-board-3-hour-first-round game.
Your really selling you game short. I see people engaged and having fun around a massive table of mechs. Just getting a game of that size to a convention is an accomplishment. I saw your post on the TMP a while back and perused the pictures, nice job!

Wingnut

Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Eilif,
We haven't decided on rules yet. We have a very good set we developed but definitely not Battletech. They don't adapt well to this scale and bog down in convention games quickly. We run into the "rules set" question every time we make a colossal convention game and generally create a set to match the feel we want to achieve without adapting the terrain to suit the mechanics. Right now we have 45 Mech models, most somewhere in different stages of production, around 300 infantry and a dozen 25mm vehicles. They will never see the game table at the same time. We don't want to fall prey to that all-the-toys-on-the-board-3-hour-first-round game.
Your really selling you game short. I see people engaged and having fun around a massive table of mechs. Just getting a game of that size to a convention is an accomplishment. I saw your post on the TMP a while back and perused the pictures, nice job!

Wingnut

Thanks for the kind words.
Sounds like you've got a good start on your own rules and what a collection of mechs and figs.! It'd be cool to see some lineups of just your mechs sometime.  Also, if you're willing to share your rules, I'd love to have a look.

As I said, we used Armor Grid Games' "Mech Attack!". It's got alot of BT'ish elements (heat, weapons with different damage profiles, mech-construction and a variant on the damage grid), but plays at about 3x faster.   How many units are you planning on having on the table at one time and how long are you planning on having each game run?  We gave each of 4 players 3 vehicles and 2 squads of infantry (that respawn at board edge when destroyed). The entire game from teaching to conclusion took less than 3 hours.

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
You guys are making me want to do something Mechish. Really looks like fun.
@Wingnut Your stuff is awesome.
@ eilif Yours as well and I was planning on attending Little wars this year but could not.
Let me know if you are doing anything in the future as I am northwest of the windy city.

Question; can this be done in 1/72 scale?
I have a hole city block of HO buildings, 20mm & dark future figs I got for a PA project.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:48:29 PM by Miniman »
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
There are LOADS of 1/72 Macross/Robotech/Dougram kits out there so, yes... it could be done :)

You'd probably have difficulty finding troops though...

... unless you felt 15mm was OK with the kits/buildings (scale wise)...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:25:35 PM by Inso »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
You guys are making me want to do something Mechish. Really looks like fun.
@Wingnut Your stuff is awesome.
@ eilif Yours as well and I was planning on attending Little wars this year but could not.
Let me know if you are doing anything in the future as I am northwest of the windy city.

Question; can this be done in 1/72 scale?
I have a hole city block of HO buildings, 20mm & dark future figs I got for a PA project.
This could easily be done in 1/72 scale. The rules we're using are intended for 15mm (we scale up the measurements).  As for troops, you're best bet would probably be 1/72 plastic or 20mm metal moderns. Not alot in the sci-fi range of 28mm.

I'll try and post here if I put on the game at Little Wars again.  Occasionally the club does a mech night (usually in 10mm) with Panzer 8 Sci-Fi or Mech Attack rules, and we always have enough mechs to share.  You're welcome to drop by.  Our Yahoo group is the best way to stay informed of all our game nights.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagoskirmish/
We meet on the West Side of Chicago.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Andrea Sfiligoi Just mentioned that his "Samurai Robots" rules will hit the web in a few hours. They should be close to his giant monster rules which I found both easy enough to explain in 15 minutes or so and deep enough to make for an interesting experiance. Might be a interesting option for rules. I know I will be trying them out ASAP.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
Some project updates:

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:42 PM »
In the setting the now "unseen" mechs are smaller than the source materials their designs were stolen from so if the mech kits are 1/72nd then they are closer to 28mm scale for that setting than 15mm.  As I understand it. 

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
Oh and this is awesome!  I really want to do 28mm Battletech.   :-*

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »
Impressive !

Armor grid mech attack ruleset looks cool also, but unfortunatly (as far as I know,it's a 2 players game), personaly I miss a good solitaire mech ruleset  to play more giant robots games...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:15:43 AM by sundayhero »

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 12:56:38 AM »
Iron Worker,
Your in Warrensburg. If we haven't met we have mutual Acquaintance. Do you know LT. Col. Buster McCall? 

Wingnut

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
Iron Worker,
Your in Warrensburg. If we haven't met we have mutual Acquaintance. Do you know LT. Col. Buster McCall? 

Wingnut

Yes I do!  I played a lot of Battletech with him before he transferred. 

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
IronWorker,
He's running B.Tech games down here in Fayetteville, AR. now. He also joined up with our Historicon madness running the Giant Pirate game. You know if anybody in 100mile radius of him had foot tall mechs he would feel a disturbance in the gaming force and would be compelled to advise. If you have Busters contact info stay in touch, we can always get this giant mech madness going on a weekend.

Wingnut   

Offline Halforc

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
These are awesome pieces, I have regretted not buying the house troops for Davion and Kurita when they were released, I keep looking but haven't found any for sale.  :'(

Love your work.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
These are awesome pieces, I have regretted not buying the house troops for Davion and Kurita when they were released, I keep looking but haven't found any for sale.  :'(

Love your work.

I think the Kurita guys are still available, but a very steep price:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_44_245