Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WK Old Mech Warrior minis. What Scale?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
WK Old Mech Warrior minis. What Scale?
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Anyone know what scale the old Mech Warrior minis were from WK? I have a bunch that are just sitting in a storage closet and I kind of want to pull them out and play a non clixy game with them. Has the mechs as well as vehicles and "troop" units.

Any suggested rules for something in that scale. Cheaper the better.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WK Old Mech Warrior minis. What Scale?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
I believe it's 10mm, when original battletech is 6mm. If you're searching for cheap ruleset, you can try armorgrid mech attack. Really good game, made for paper models but of course you can use whatever you want ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:23:21 AM »
Yeah I think 10-15mm.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:30:27 AM »
Miniatures vary- but we estimated the infantry at a very light 15mm.

Conversions of MW into miniature gaming traditionally go very well.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »
Miniatures vary- but we estimated the infantry at a very light 15mm.

I have to disagree here.  I originally bought some 15mm to go with my Clix figs and they didn't match at all.  The MW figs are definitely 10-11mm.  The official metal Battletech infantry figs have been prone to some scale creep and in many cases are approaching 8mm.  That, plus the lower importance of scale in the board game means that there are quite a number of BT players who have used the clix infantry despite the scale differences.

Here you can see a 15mm infantry next to the large 10mm battle Armor.  

Doesn't seem quite so bad, but now here's the 10mm MW battle armor next to a standard 10mm MW infantry trooper.

All this to say you can sneak some of the 10mm battle armor and suits into 15mm, but 15mm infantry towers over 10mm MW infantry.

The mechs and ground units are all fairly close to 10mm but there are some outliers.  
-The large transport helicopters, a few of the ground vehicles and a couple of the mechs are pretty darn close to 6mm.
-The Targus mech especially but also some others would work in 15mm. Especially those that don't have the aircraft style cockpit canopies. There are also some battle Armor that would work well.

Conversions of MW into miniature gaming traditionally go very well.
This I do agree with.  After buying a number of HUGE lots of Mechwarrior clix and divvying them up by faction, our club decided to do nearly all our small scale sci-fi gaming in 10mm. Most of us didn't even repaint the figs, we just rebased them.

We've used them in:
Mech Attack: Imagine battletech with 1/10th the rules that plays in 1/4 the time and you've got some idea. A really fast and fun game that is also quite customizable (buildable units) and flexible.  Also cheap. Works best with less than 10 units per player.  
Alpha Strike: The Battletech game of big battles. Also, alot simpler and faster playing than battletech. Works best with more than 10 units per player
Panzer8 Sci-Fi: Beer and Pretzels sci-fi mass battle.  2 pages long and it's free.nWe made a few minor tweaks and reorganized and edited the ruleset to make it easier to understand.
You can get our club's version here:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/140892.page
And the Force list we built :
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/140893.page

Skip the first post, but scroll down and you can see most of the games we've played with mechwarrior clix figs here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/search?q=mechwarrior
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:46:23 PM by eilif »

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »
There are several mechs that are off scale with the rest and will pass easily for 15mm.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
Lots of people using the Mech warrior minies with Horizon wars.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
One more reason to get those MW clix rebased is that 10mm sci-fi gaming is getting a small resurgence. In addition to excellent open-ended/generic rules like Horizon Wars and Polyversal (which work well in 6 and 10mm) Both Planetfall and Dropship commander are 10mm system games that are gaining popularity.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Also note Heavy gear (with upcoming plastic releases) and Reaper CAV (upcoming Bones releases) are N-scale which is more like 12mm IIRC but very close to 10mm. I have to agree I might be tempted to switch to 10mm for horizon wars the more that I think about it...

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »
Mechwarrior clix became pretty expensive on the famous auction website, like around 5USD for the un popupal mechs, and a lot more for the known ones (like madcats and whatever)  :?

IN Europe (at least, in france) it's quite rare, so battletech 6mm figures are paradoxaly often cheaper.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:40 PM »
Mechwarrior clix became pretty expensive on the famous auction website, like around 5USD for the un popupal mechs, and a lot more for the known ones (like madcats and whatever)  :?

IN Europe (at least, in france) it's quite rare, so battletech 6mm figures are paradoxaly often cheaper.

Hear, hear. Until some time ago you could get MW minis sold in lots at a very good price. Now you can only get vehicles at a fair price - all the mechs seem to be coated in gold and priced accordingly.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
Hear, hear. Until some time ago you could get MW minis sold in lots at a very good price. Now you can only get vehicles at a fair price - all the mechs seem to be coated in gold and priced accordingly.

Woah,
     I just looked at listings and even pairs of infantry are going for $4!  That's pretty ridiculous seeing as how most were 50 cents each on T&T a few years ago.
I don't know many folks who are going to pay that. 

I think the best bet may be to put up an ad here or on TMP looking for assorted lots of figs.  Alot of gamers still have bags of the stuff lying around. Even a couple years ago as the better mechs were getting expensive at ebay and Troll and Toad I was able to score some very affordable large lots via "wanted" ads.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »
That's the same thing we see with any kinds of "toys", after a few years "out of production". It's the same in videogames, figures, slotcars, etc...

The thing is that "old" doesn't necessary mean "rare" or "precious", but as long as they find people willing to pay...   ;D

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »
SundayHero, thanks for the heads up on Armor Grid. I'm going to give it a try with my Mech Warrior minis.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
You'll see how fun, clever and elegant this system is !

THe grid system  give you that "giant robot power" feeling just right !