Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 464
Total: 470

Recent

Author Topic: Brigade Games Ends of the Earth WW2 U-Boat Gun Crew & Landing Party  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Hi Folks,

Once again we are blessed with more upcoming releases from Lon's "Ends of the Earth" range.

This time we see U-Boat gun crew and landing party designed by the talented Mr Richard Ansell.

Well done to Lon and Richard for what will prove very popular with the forthcoming U-Boat from Brigade Games and Company B.

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Very nice. Those two on the top right could be posed together to make a vignette of them ballroom dancing. There were many ways to relieve stress on a long cruise.  :)

By the way, I meant to ask you and forgot in my PM: What make are those sailors you sent me? They look like Brigade in style, but I have never seen those particular figures before. I am always groaning that Brigade don't make any sailors suitable for their UB class boat, but those ones fit the bill perfectly. Where does one find more?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline muppetman

• Librarian
look how good the weapons are made, do they sell them seperately??? them rifles are sweet..
Its not my fault! it just went off!!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Very nice. Those two on the top right could be posed together to make a vignette of them ballroom dancing. There were many ways to relieve stress on a long cruise.  :)

By the way, I meant to ask you and forgot in my PM: What make are those sailors you sent me? They look like Brigade in style, but I have never seen those particular figures before. I am always groaning that Brigade don't make any sailors suitable for their UB class boat, but those ones fit the bill perfectly. Where does one find more?

Hi Poly,

Do you remember my rant over why there weren't any sailors in sailor hats. Well Michael Broadbent kindly offered to fix the problem for this girl. He designed some sailor hats with the suitable Brigade Games figures I gave him. So knowing you had a Oceanic boat I gave you a set  8)

You would have seen on my workbench some of these figures in various stages of painting.

Michael Broadbent did send Lon a Sub-Masters so its up to Lon now.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Wonderful. So you were being even kinder than I thought, giving me such exclusive models. I am honoured. Very kind of you. I shall put them to good use. Thanks again.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Wonderful. So you were being even kinder than I thought, giving me such exclusive models. I am honoured. Very kind of you. I shall put them to good use. Thanks again.

You are welcome 8)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
These figs and the U-Boat are must haves IMHO. Throw in a few Artizan TT U-Boat crew for variety and you've got almost an entire crew, I'd bet.  Exciting stuff.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Lon's also released 2 additional packs of Gebirgsjaeger (some in helmets) to go with the existing two packs and the HMG pack - they all look lovely.

Unfortunately, the GBJ command and sniper packs which have been trailed for around 6 months now, have still not appeared - and I'm waiting to order the lot!  :(

I thought some of Richard Ansell's earlier work for North Star was a bit iffy, but I honestly think he is turning out the best War II figures right now - with apologies to Mr Hicks and all the other talented chaps out there sculpting WWII stuff.

His work for Brigade and TAG is drawing me inexorably into WWII German figures - where I really didn't want to go! But they're so damned beautifully done, I just have to have some  :-*

Then who to pitch them against... ??  ::)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Lon's also released 2 additional packs of Gebirgsjaeger (some in helmets) to go with the existing two packs and the HMG pack - they all look lovely.

Unfortunately, the GBJ command and sniper packs which have been trailed for around 6 months now, have still not appeared - and I'm waiting to order the lot!  :(

I thought some of Richard Ansell's earlier work for North Star was a bit iffy, but I honestly think he is turning out the best War II figures right now - with apologies to Mr Hicks and all the other talented chaps out there sculpting WWII stuff.

His work for Brigade and TAG is drawing me inexorably into WWII German figures - where I really didn't want to go! But they're so damned beautifully done, I just have to have some  :-*

Then who to pitch them against... ??  ::)

Captain Blood,

Your observations are correct in many ways about Richard's work as he is producing some very lovely figurines for various companies.

For the Gebirgsjager, may I suggest the Artic circle up in the Lapland area where you can have the oportunity to fight Finns in the Lapland conflict or Soviets in their Winter kit. Of course you could look at Partizans as another area in the Balkans etc.

I'm suprised by everyones lack of responses to this new thread on U-Boat crews. Going by the response to the upcoming release of the Brigade Games U-Boat I'd have thought that such a treat as seeing these lovely models would have everyone clapping with rapturous applause or maybe they are so gob smacked that they can't respond  :o

Why? everyone will be enquiring to my thoughts here. Its no secret that there will be a deck gun and numerous flak guns to mount on the U-Boat. I've seen the first stages of the flak guns in development and Michael Broadbent was about to look at the deck gun too. He borrowed my U-Boat books of which the one from "Anatomy of the Ship: The Type VII U-Boat" by David Westwood is the Holy Grail of books as it has scaled drawings of the U-Boat armaments including mounting platforms. It cost me plenty, but worth it for the accurate drawings that Michael needed to get the job done otherwise we would still be waiting. Michael does not work off photos alone, but plans and models (if the latter is available)!

Ideally, I'd like to see some further sets of U-Boat crews to follow on from this set. Everyone who has an interest should say so here or on the Brigade Games Yahoo forum.

Flak crews come to mind with a couple holding 2 cm magazines in their hands.

A crew in helmet, U-Boat rig and/or singlets with shorts that fits in with the main deck gun and flak.

Some crew in life preservers that served the main gun etc. The gun layers could strap themselves on to the gun, but not the ammo handlers.

So guys lets here what you think please and not just pass the time away admiring the photos.  8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 04:03:08 AM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well I think they're excellent and they're on the to get list :)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline whisperin_al

• Bookworm
  • Gaming Geek
    • The Wargames Shed
Re: Brigade Games Ends of the Earth WW2 U-Boat Gun Crew & Landing Party
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
I'm certainly interested!  I can see quite a few potential scenarios already!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »
They are excellent figures. Personally I would like to see less of U-Boat crewmen crewing, but more of, say a landing party. Likewise for some WW2 German naval types in general.

I'm not super-keen on WW2, what interest I have concerns France 1940 and the proposed operation Sealion, so obviously my needs and wants may not be mainstream in any case.

Certainly such figures do leave it open for scenarios in 'Darkest Africa' etc in WW2 as well as numerous other possibilities. Nice to see something unusual instead of just another Waffen SS range *yawn*.

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
These are really nice figures.  With the rest of what is already available from Brigade, you can almost write a story line for a game by just looking at the figures.

BTW, great idea about the Gebirgejagers and the Finns; a friend of mine painted some Finns two years ago, but we never got around to doing much in the way of gaming with them.

That will change now, as I have some of the jagers painted, just never considered the Finns as opponents.  As the young ones say, duh!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:32:27 PM »
These are really nice figures.  With the rest of what is already available from Brigade, you can almost write a story line for a game by just looking at the figures.

BTW, great idea about the Gebirgejagers and the Finns; a friend of mine painted some Finns two years ago, but we never got around to doing much in the way of gaming with them.

That will change now, as I have some of the jagers painted, just never considered the Finns as opponents.  As the young ones say, duh!

Just for something different! Why don't you throw in some French armour?
http://www.geocities.com/finnmilpge/fmpg_pz211.html

AGN have some lovely French AFVs.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »
I think the figures are great!

So Helen are you talking about a new Brigade Games U-Boat?  I already have the one they did with Company B or are they working on a new one?