Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dutch 80 Years War Flags by Flags of War  (Read 4299 times)

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Dutch 80 Years War Flags by Flags of War
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:01 PM »
Iain of Flags of War just uploaded two new sets of Dutch Eaighty Years War flags (Dutch Revolt) based on period pictures my little brother found at the Military Museum in the Netherlands. The quality is great. I highly recommend them!

http://www.flagsofwar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_70_158&product_id=1472
http://www.flagsofwar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_70_158&product_id=1473

The white banner with the blue diagonal line has the abbreviation L.T.D.P.' meaning in Dutch: "Liever Turkx Dan Paaps." translated to English, it says "Rather Turkish than Papish."

\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Dutch 80 Years War Flags by Flags of War
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Any of these suitable for 1672 Dutch regiments?

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »
Any of these suitable for 1672 Dutch regiments?

I'm not an expert on either period but I think you want to get these for 1672: http://www.flagsofwar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_73_99&product_id=358

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »
Orctrader: The flags i made for General Lee would be a little early for 1672 and the flags for the Ducth Blue Guard ones i have would be too late as they are flags for the Garde te Voet when they came to England with William III.

I'm currently working on a WSS Dutch range after it won a poll on my blog and the research that im finding is that a few of these ones can be used for 1672. I have no ETA on these though as im still getting research in for them.

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
Eh. not really Dutch ..... but part of the 80 years war anyway
These are flags from the regiment locally raised by kolonel Olivier van den Tympel, lord of Korbeek-Lo in the late 1570's. He came
from a noble family in the Duchy of Brabant. It served as the garrison of Brussels until about 1585 when it fell to Allesandro Farnese Duke of Parma. (so Belgian ? lol)

The Gortter manuscript which has the original drawings is still in the Albertina library in Brussels. It shows these flags, flags from
the Antwerp city militia, cavalry (guard of William of Orange),(lancers, mounted arquebusiers)  German soldiers raised by Don Juan of Austria, French cavalry from the Duke of Alençon (Elisabeth I suitor) and Spanish cavalry (with flags !) 

Carl

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Orctrader: The flags i made for General Lee would be a little early for 1672 and the flags for the Ducth Blue Guard ones i have would be too late as they are flags for the Garde te Voet when they came to England with William III.

I'm currently working on a WSS Dutch range after it won a poll on my blog and the research that im finding is that a few of these ones can be used for 1672. I have no ETA on these though as im still getting research in for them.

Interesting.   :)

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
Eh. not really Dutch ..... but part of the 80 years war anyway
These are flags from the regiment locally raised by kolonel Olivier van den Tympel, lord of Korbeek-Lo in the late 1570's. He came
from a noble family in the Duchy of Brabant. It served as the garrison of Brussels until about 1585 when it fell to Allesandro Farnese Duke of Parma. (so Belgian ? lol)

The Gortter manuscript which has the original drawings is still in the Albertina library in Brussels. It shows these flags, flags from
the Antwerp city militia, cavalry (guard of William of Orange),(lancers, mounted arquebusiers)  German soldiers raised by Don Juan of Austria, French cavalry from the Duke of Alençon (Elisabeth I suitor) and Spanish cavalry (with flags !) 

Carl

Not entirely clear which flags you are referring to

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:41 AM »
Seems clear to me.
The flag with the blue bend and the letters LT (it is not sure that the rest of the inscription says DP) (it is however possible seing that van den Tempel was a well known Calvinist) is a company flag for Dionysius van den Tempel (family member of Olivier van den Tempel). He was captured by the royal army in Nijvel/Nivelles in 1581. The flag with the lionshield is the colonelsflag of this regiment carried by an ensign Peter Fobs. (you show two versions of this Gorter Drawing, one of is them is by Ten Raa and dates to the 1920's)

The orange flag with the blue bend and the inscription Si deus pro nobis quis contra nos (if God is with us who will be against us) is the flag of a company under captain Dorst. the flag with the orange, white, blue horizontal bars is the flag of a company under captain Hoboken
They are all flags of the army of the 'Staten' the 'Estates' this does not mean that they are therefore Dutch

All these flags belong to units which passed through Mechelen between 1577 and 1583

Carl

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
Excellent info cdr. I love reading this stuff :)