Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: French Foreign Legion - not pictures but...  (Read 2152 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
French Foreign Legion - not pictures but...
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:27 AM »
...a listing of what I have for the era on my blog, finally (with perhaps a few minor corrections needed later)

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/french-foreign-legion.html

Your thoughts, gentle discussions of my sanity, etc, welcome.   ;)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: French Foreign Legion - not pictures but...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »
A blog with descriptions instead of pictures - how innovative and yet old-fashioned  lol

Good project.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

former user

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
a discussion of sanity is a bit useless in a forum where people own thousands of miniatures....

as to Your force - what is the scale? it appears to be 15mm?

anyway, let's start with the setting - I read a lot of the word "Algeria", here is a useful link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Algeria

by 1848 there wasn't much organised resistance apart from a few uprisings, nothing like an "emir's force" (different in Morocco).
Also no "assigned" troops, the french recruited zouaves and spahis right from the start, tirailleurs algeriens later. I assume that is what You mean by Your "tirailleurs" units?
Also, the machine guns must be mitrailleuses by the time setting?.
Then - no foreign legion cavalry before 1920 (the mounted units in Mexico were a local improvisation)
Then - no navy units in Algeria - it was an army dominion until 1871.
Chasseurs can be only the infamous BILA or Bat d'Af, at least I can't recall any

and so on - just a rough impression

which only means that Your collection is obviously meant to represent a fantasy foreign legion in a non-historical setting
and that is perfectly fine.
The composition appears to represent some mid 19th C big batallion doctrine, with light infantry added - quite obsolete after 1871, even more so in Algeria without set piece battles.

Leaving only a big question mark to me - what do You want to do with them? unless....

it is a glourious alternative time setting when te 2nd empire persists after 1870 (meaning that they managed to beat the german confederation - the machineguns perhaps?), but the effort left the oppressed Algerians free to set up a large revolt unifiying northwestern Africa against the opressors, in the following rejuvenating muslim dominance in the mediterranean as the Ottoman empire starts a secret alliance with Prussia, which in turn antagonizes the Habsburg monarchy, with the Russian empire trying to get a foothold in the grand european game. or so....
Maybe Britain then takes sides with her old ally in Berlin and Hannover, against the frog and garlic sausage eating arch-enemy? Who knows?
But this can only lead into a face-off as the franco-american alliance (forged when Napoleon III decided to take sides in the ACW, crushed the mexican republicans and the USA, thus helping forge the CSA, including the mexican states, but renouncing the New England states to Britain) attempts to win the race over maritime control and the access to the colonies against Britain and her allies (Turkey and Prussia) - the Suez canal is never built and the Great War starts 1888, right after France introduces the smokeless powder cartridge in the lebel rifle and the famous mitrailleuse H-H, the first recoil operated repeater gun which Hotchkiss produced for the french army after a patent by Hiram Maxim, an american inventor who emigrated to France after being declined British naturalization due to the then ruling animosity against US-americans...

well, whatever floats Your boat ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:04:06 AM by bedwyr »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
Yar, the pictures?  Well, there are some roaming about the blog - none yet for the FFL.  One day, one day.  Old fashioned?  A historical miniatures gamer?  What a strange thought!  lol

As to the nature of the collection, yes, somewhat fictional and fanciful - though not quite that fantastic.  But lots of good information in that long reply.  Part of what 'created' the collection was a large purchase of unpainted figures, mostly, plus a gift with some painted figures and I tried to round it all out to a sense of completeness - for me.  As to time period, I'm thinking something around the mid 1880s or there abouts but nothing too precise.  And the references to Algeria are loose, I really figure to use the collection from the Moroccan west coast all the way east to Fashoda and maybe even a guest appearance in Madagascar - probably not so far away as Tonkin (and no interest in the Mexican thing except for reading about).

Oh, yes, scale: can FifteensAway be anything but 15 mm?  I think not.   ;)

And having slept on it, I'm thinking I can half the whole thing, more or less, and still have what I want.  In part that is my goal, finding ways to reduce the total number of figures owned to a more manageable level - for both storage and painting as well as gaming.  Hey, wait, does that mean I've caught a dose of sanity!?  Yikes.  o_o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:17:14 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
Anyone interested in FFL must see the Mon Legionnaire website - definitely the best FFL resource on the web. The classic French Foreign Legion in Wargaming, Literature, Pictures and History...

See: http://monlegionnaire.wordpress.com/2013/09/

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:33:22 PM by Golgotha »