Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Pulpy trucks  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Looking for Pulpy trucks
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
I mainly use 1/64th scale vehicles. There are Matchbox, Lledo and promotional no brands in this thread plus a Siku 1/55th scale farm tractor: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12278.0

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
Does anyone know if the matchbox yesteryear collection are all the same scale, and what scale they are exactly?

This kind chap appears to have scaled them all: http://veiculosemminiatura.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/escala-de-modelos-matchbox-serie-models.html?m=1

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
Matchbox Pulpy trucks
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »

Does anyone know if the matchbox yesteryear collection are all the same scale, and what scale they are exactly?

Yes!!!  and No...

They are all "Box Scale", meaning whatever fills up, and looks good in, a standard sized display container.  That means different sized vehicles scale out differently, from 1/40 to 1/60 or so.  Remember these are aimed at a far less discerning market than we gamers represent!!  Just go anywhere toy cars are sold, look at HotWheels or Matchbox & see all kinds of different sized things you know to be bigger, or smaller, all fitting the same plastic bubble!!

For example. in Dave's first photo the blue truck on the left is a Ford Model A, in reality a very small vehicle, think Chevy HHR or Ford Ranger pick up in height, but shorter wheelbase.  But because a tiny truck in a standard box won't  be as eye appealing, or sell as well, as a bigger product (larger scale) Matchbox made all their Model A's 1/40th, HUGE!!!  They did have the grace to mark the scale on the box, but I bought mine anyway, just too spiffy!!  

Alas, I can't use it, visually it just bothers me, since I know what it is & how small it's 'supposed' to be.  You can literally fit my 1/62  Model A hotrod INSIDE the 1/40 Model A Depot Hack, and they are supposed to be the "same"!!

On the other hand my Matchbox Packard panel truck (think modern hearse size) scales (using the wheelbase) to 1/55th, quite looks the part, but seems 'low' in comparison to based figures.  That concerns me enough to plan to base all my vehicles.

Ultimately it comes down to your eye, and your wallet!!  Next time there's a vintage carshow nearby plan to go & explore.  You will be amazed at the differences.  While most everything in our era seems smaller than today's vehicles, and MUCH smaller than the '50s or '60s, you will find huge two seaters with long engines next to tiny coupes you wonder how they ever fit the tommy guns in!
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
Thanks again for the info. Valerik, you are an ocean of knowledge. I found that very helpful. I checked out the Lledo link and I think that's what I'm looking for. Vehicles of this scale will be more in scale with my buildings.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 02:40:29 AM »
So, does anyone know of any online retailers who sell the Lledo vehicles in Canada OR whose shipping to Canada isn't ridiculous?

Thanks,
J

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:13 AM »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!