Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painted Nautiloid Chrysalid for DeepWars - now with step-by-step pics  (Read 5347 times)

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
Hi all. I have a few WIP shots of this one but I don't have them all ready to show. The steps for this figure are really similar to other Dark Mariners, with the same sequence of ink glazes and final highlights. I also sculpted this one and I may have taken some WIP shots of it, but I'm not sure. It would make a nice start-to-finish tutorial then.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:57:53 PM by antimatter »
antimatter-games.com

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Painted Nautiloid Chrysalid for DeepWars
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
Very nice
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »
I really like some of the models for this game...but I have to ask - does anyone actually play Deep Wars?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:20 AM »
Lovely, simply lovely!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Whilst the whole figure is wonderfully well done, that shell takes it to another level.
Stunning!
 :-*

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »
Outstanding paint job on a brilliant miniature! That shell is absolutely fantastic!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
Whilst the whole figure is wonderfully well done, that shell takes it to another level.
Stunning!
 :-*

Ditto  :o 8) :-*

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
I really like some of the models for this game...but I have to ask - does anyone actually play Deep Wars?

The game is in distribution and is growing. There is a small but enthusiastic fanbase, with a facebook page here at "The Stygian Depths"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/408237749242300/?ref=br_tf

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »
Lovely work on that Nautiloid! 

I try to play Deep Wars when I can, though I often don't have time to play games with family life, lol. It is very fun, and a very well written ruleset, with lots of gorgeous models.  My main hobby is painting, so these models are a real treat to play with.

That being said, the cost of entry is pretty low for two forces, so it doesn't take much to get a couple forces and introduce new friends to play.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
Very nicely done indeed  :-* :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:42 PM »
The tentacles and weapon are painted to a good level, but the shell.... directly come from a Wayne Reynolds drawing!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
That's a hell of a paintjob!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
Here was the first step. The figure was primed black, then zenith primed from above and to the side with white. This works very well for giving a basic "shadow-map" with light and dark areas.

Next, The base coats were applied with thin layers. The idea here is to apply thinned opaque paints, bone (Reaper Golden Highlight), and light blue paint (in this case Liquitex Cerulean Blue hue ink, which is like an thin opaque paint) to the tentacles. Some initial glazes of magenta inks were blended in closer to the shell on the tentacles. The weapon was given a thin coat of gold. Everything allowed to dry fully.

The next step was to apply the first washes. The shell was washed with a mix of Burnt Sienna ink + matte medium (Liquitex). Same for the weapon. The tentacles were given light washes of red paint+paint + matte medium to add some more shadow where the tentacles meet the shell. All allowed to dry fully.

Next is the shadow wash. This is the key to making the range of color in the shell and weapon. This is a greenish+blue wash with ink (turquoise works well here) on the gun, with matte medium. The trick is getting the right consistency and not letting it pool too much. The shell is washed with blue ink + matte medium, then with some burnt umber in places to add some more shadow. When the shell was being washed, the model was left on its side so the ink pooled in the right places and did not run down the shell.

When the shadow wash was dry, the tentacles were highlighted with Cerulean blue and white, with some magenta ink on the tips. The eyes were given a coat of a dark yellow/orange - Indian Yellow works fine here.

The shell was given edge highlights using reaper golden yellow. This is a tricky bit that requires some patience as it is mainly painting with the tip of the brush, almost like freehand. There was some slight blending of the shell itself with burnt Umber + white, but not much. The natural mottling effect from the ink washes is what gives the shell its look, so it is important to not obscure them.

Final steps - more highlights applied to the tentacles to smooth them out. Base done similarly to shell, but with more blue and burnt umber inks. Crystal done with Turquoise ink + white paint. eyes done with a light yellow + white mix, then a very light glaze of blue ink, then the vertical irises in black paint. The weapon metal was highlighted with gold and silver.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:44:58 PM by antimatter »

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Painted Nautiloid Chrysalid for DeepWars - now with step-by-step pics
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:39 AM »
Wow! Amazing work and a great wash and paint tutorial.

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
Re: Painted Nautiloid Chrysalid for DeepWars - now with step-by-step pics
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »
Thanks all. Just a little plug for my games ShadowSea and DeepWars. This one is an underwater model for DeepWars. We have a companion game called ShadowSea which is land-based and is running a kickstarter right now. All DeepWars minis are available as rewards for the kickstarter also.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168246/shadowsea-conquest-of-the-underlands