Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More about SCW 20mm figures  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
More about SCW 20mm figures
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
While waiting for Republican Infantry greens to be finished up and brought to casting workshop --something very likely to happen during next week--, allow me to show you a sneak peek on our following 20mm metal figures set, aimed at complementing that first one.

Under the title of Republican HQ & Weapons, we shall release shortly a set including a couple of foot officers, a standard bearer, two Degtyarev MG teams in different poses, one light mortar team, one Maxim HMG team and a matching flags sheet. Here you are some preliminary drawings of them, by their sculptor Juan G. Bautista of Xan Miniatures:

That is, a total of twelve different human figures and one HMG model. And the flags sheet for our standard bearer, of course!

As initially intended, we expect to be able to release both sets before Christmas' time. If willing to read and watch more, please follow this link: http://minairons-news.blogspot.com/2013/10/more-scw-20mm-figures.html

Regards,
Lluís
www.minairons.eu

"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: More about SCW 20mm figures
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Why must you tempt me so? First a lot of tempting 1/72 scale vehicles and now minis, too.... How is a sensible man supposed to resist!?

Please, what sort of unit composition will be in a box? A platoon?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
Intendedly such --although I must admit we haven't sticked ourselves to any particular ruleset. I roughly took as a guidance the number of figures needed for building a FoW-style company adapted to 20mm gaming --as some friends of mine at Tarragona town, Catalonia use to play.

As for the first set, it will comprise 13 infantrymen and two NCOs. Approximatively one platoon (again, depending on your preferred game scale it might represent just half section).

Then, as the second set can be used for Company command and light support, theoretically you'd be able to build a FoW-style company using 1 HQ box and the number of sections/platoons you would, at the rate of 1 box per platoon --close support weapons included, as said.

I had been pondering for some time whether to stick closer to a given ruleset, such as the upcoming Spain in Flames reviewed version of FoW; but this might have implied up to doubling the number of figures in a box --and accordingly to double price up to € 30-40 the box, thus making some potential buyers to desist. I thought it was wiser a smaller, not so expensive box.

Cheers,
Lluís
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:38:54 PM by Lluís of Minairons »

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
I love the box art, as well as the fact that you're doing this in 20mm. Given the popularity and prevalence of 15mm online, I hope that you'll be able to forge the sort of customer base you'll need in order to expand the range. Knowing Juan's work for Fantassin, I have no doubt these will be amazing - provided that the right metal is used.

Have you considered doing some other more lucrative/mainstream lines to get the dough flowing in? I obviously have no idea how well any of your previous releases have been doing, and am merely curious.

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:27:43 PM »
Given the popularity and prevalence of 15mm online, I hope that you'll be able to forge the sort of customer base you'll need in order to expand the range.

Such is the idea, admittedly :)

Have you considered doing some other more lucrative/mainstream lines to get the dough flowing in? I obviously have no idea how well any of your previous releases have been doing, and am merely curious.

Continually pondering it, no doubt. However, any step in such direction must be carefully studied before, especially if having into account that our main distributor in UK is Plastic Soldier Co.

Lluís

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
I think 20mm is in a bit of a renaissance... This is a good time to release such an interesting line.

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
Continually pondering it, no doubt. However, any step in such direction must be carefully studied before, especially if having into account that our main distributor in UK is Plastic Soldier Co.

Well as long as you're not thinking US Airborne or Waffen SS then WWII would be a safe bet. Maybe early war, to go along with your quick build kits?

I hope you won't mind my impertinence. I just wish to see you succeed, despite having no interest in the SCW... for the moment, that is.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
To be honest there are some very good 20mm WW2 ranges out there. As far as SCW goes though the old Hotspur ones and Irregular are the only competition... and they aren't great.

I am biased towards SCW and I'm currently quite torn between going for 20mm or 15mm... these could very well tip the balance for me. Committing to the early part of the war (providing these do well) would pretty much settle it.

You are correct however, that WW2 is the most lucrative market.

:)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:32:07 PM by Arlequín »

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
Maybe early war, to go along with your quick build kits?

Well, this is one of the lines we're exploring actively. The most obvious one, admittedly, consisting of combining fast assembly plastic AFV parts with special add-ons, such as this Flakpanzer based on our Pz.Kpfw. I ausf. A:

(a 1/100th design actually; its 1/72nd version would admit higher detailing)

...I'm currently quite torn between going for 20mm or 15mm... these could very well tip the balance for me.

Can this (still crude, unfinished) green help you anyhow?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »
That is looking mighty fine...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 03:33:54 AM »

Well, there goes all the Christmas money ...

Simply great looking infantry!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 05:11:13 AM »

'Help' is perhaps the wrong word... but yes, decision made.  :)

That really does look excellent.

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
To be honest there are some very good 20mm WW2 ranges out there. As far as SCW goes though the old Hotspur ones and Irregular are the only competition... and they aren't great.

I completely agree. And by the looks of it Minairons's figures will probably be the best there is in 20mm. I was not suggesting that Minairons should do WWII for the sake of doing WWII.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
I completely agree. And by the looks of it Minairons's figures will probably be the best there is in 20mm. I was not suggesting that Minairons should do WWII for the sake of doing WWII.

No, I didn't get that impression. If Minairons were to do WW2, judging by how they have handled what they have done so far, I anticipate they would go for something 'unusual' or 'under-represented' in any case, so they would compliment rather than compete. Although by the looks of the green above, they would also raise the standard somewhat too.

:)   

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
When the Colonial / Militia troops come out I bet they will be very popular. Not only for historical gaming, which is important, but also because they will add tremendous variety and flexibility for gaming other genres in 20mm.