Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: iPhone lenses  (Read 6737 times)

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
iPhone lenses
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »
Hi guys.
I wasn't really sure if this was the right place for this subject...
but here it is.

I often take pictures of my toys with my phone camera and the results aren't always the best .
I was talking to a friend about this.. he is a film maker and has an interest in all this camera .. he showed me these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006P82R70/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are a set of lenses that fit on to your iPhone and some other makes of smart phone...
Of course the only one that interested me was the Macro...
It has a very short depth of field but it is enough to bring your toys into frightening close up, I have only tried a few shots so far but I can see this being quite fun...
What do you think ?

All the best  Aly
YES!... I KNOW I AM A BUTTERFLY.
http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Jaeger

• Scientist
Re: iPhone lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
I think there's no way I'm taking Pictures of my models that close.  :D

But the posted ones look great!
Too many projects... not enough time...

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
Ooh, interesting. I might actually find use for these in my field of work as most digital camaras fail at taking close up pictures of jewelry or gemstones. And if it also has a use for miniatures, gosh.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
That's an interesting idea although I can see a lot of people (myself included) throwing away their paintbrushes if it comes under that close scrutiny  lol

A small lightent would help enormously I would imagine.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
Yes it does give you a bit of a shock when you see your toys that close :o
I always thought that I was quite a neat painter but some of the first shots I took look like I paint with my fingers and coloured mud :'(

You are right James , more light would be an improvement, these pics were taken in normal low energy long life dullness . :?

All the best. Aly

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
Ive certainly considered these as well...so am quite happy to hear and see your results with them.  I find myself falling back on my iPhone for WIP shots quite often and the results are less than spectacular...it works fine for larger scale unit shots (see below) but for individual minis its not the greatest.  I do think that ample light makes a huge difference...it certainly allows the iphone to do a better job with color balance.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
Wow...I just followed you amazon link....for that little money it seems worth a try eh?

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
Nice find.
Every picture of a sculpt of mine that you'd've seen online for the last couple if years was taken on an iPhone so if these make them even better they'll be worth a punt, Shirley?

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Blue..
For that money... Yes worth it .
There are also some nice little tripods that will take an iPone just as cheap.

Andrew.
How are you doing old chap?
WIP shots were something that came to mind almost as soon as I took the first shots.

I've told you before ... Don't call me Shirley >:( lol

All the best. Aly

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:28:18 AM »
I find myself falling back on my iPhone for WIP shots quite often and the results are less than spectacular

I'm with you, Blue. I use the iphone for WIP, and then for the finished shots use the digicam with tripod (and sometimes lightbox...especially for Lead Painters League stuff). How much are those lenses?

Mike Demana

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
I seen these lens a couple a years ago on Indymogul. Looked good then to boot. I for one dont use an iPhone but if i did i would have a set of lenses. Especially for the price for three lenses.
My SIII does pic taken pretty good. So do the iPhones. My point and shoot camera is a 2.1MP Canon camera that wont get replaced cause it just wont die and still does a damn good job on MACRO scale. Some day i will upgrade.
There are other iPhone lenses out there. I am gonna guess they do about the same thing as what we have seen here.
Also keep in mind for those that have Flip cameras there is a similar setup for a decent price to boot.

Grimm

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »
Andrew.
How are you doing old chap?
WIP shots were something that came to mind almost as soon as I took the first shots.

I've told you before ... Don't call me Shirley >:( lol

All the best. Aly

I'm alright mate, nipper turned up 12 weeks ago so I'm flat out sculpting, startkicking and fathering....
I use the iPhone for finished shots too, my clients can see what they need and know how they'll look in the flesh. The only real problem is a little distortion due to the limited depth of field when it comes to foreshortening etc.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:35:05 AM »
I had a set of these lenses, and actually returned them. They DO take cool pictures, but you to take the case off your phone. That's unappealing to me. But they are definitely an interesting thing.

I take all the pics for my blog with my iPhone 5 - it's great as is!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
This is brilliant! I dont have a camera able to take photos of my miniatures, but my wife wants an ipad for Christmas. These lenses will be a perfect solution for me. I would like to see some pics of 6mm and 15mm if possible though?

Also has anyone had expereince of using with an i-pad? And i am curious as to how they attach?

Hi guys.
I wasn't really sure if this was the right place for this subject...
but here it is.

I often take pictures of my toys with my phone camera and the results aren't always the best .
I was talking to a friend about this.. he is a film maker and has an interest in all this camera .. he showed me these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006P82R70/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are a set of lenses that fit on to your iPhone and some other makes of smart phone...
Of course the only one that interested me was the Macro...
It has a very short depth of field but it is enough to bring your toys into frightening close up, I have only tried a few shots so far but I can see this being quite fun...
What do you think ?

All the best  Aly

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
they work on iPad too? mmm.. that could be an option to finally replace my crappy camera.
I like the retro look of this lenses, makes me think on my old yashica with their lense converters on  lol