Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Dinosaurs?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Pulp Alley Dinosaurs?
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
Had the rules to Pulp Alley for a while but only just printed them out to read. I know the general theme is to create your own Leagues of humans but has anyone stated out some of the classic dinosaurs or any other weird/strange monsters for that matter? If so, could you give some examples?

thanks for any help.

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley Dinosaurs?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
Some Terror profiles at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=58502.msg703326#msg703326

Dave gave examples of using dinos as non-profiled mobile plot points at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55741.0

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »
General, here are some sample characters that we use for dinos and similar beasties.

Please note that the character creation rules are for all types of characters - humans, robots, monsters, dinos, aliens, or whatever. It's simply a matter of picking the skills and abilities that fit the character you want to make.

Perilous Island adds a bunch of strange new abilities to make it easier to create the weird stuff. Including rules for making 'Terrors'.

All the profiles below were designed using the Character Creations rules and include abilities from the core Pulp Alley rulebook as well as from the Perilous Island book...

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

HAVE FUN

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Thanks very much. A great help. May have to order the supplement. :)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »
Thanks very much. A great help. May have to order the supplement. :)

Glad to help!

As Diplomatist indicated, there are times when we simply run dinos as mobile plot points or perils moving around the table. It just depends on the level of detail we want for a specific scenario.

HAVE FUN

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »
Can I ask where these pages are taken from?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Can I ask where these pages are taken from?

The first page is just copied from the back of the Perilous Island book.

The second two pages are just some profiles we use once in awhile for various beasties. I think they are also saved to the Sample Leagues thread on the Pulp Alley forum, but that's all.

HAVE FUN

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
just bought the Perilous Island PDF last night.Love the ideas and scenarios in it for the Weird stuff. ;D

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »
I've been picking up the odd dinosaur here and there, too. I have a burning need to do a Valley of Gwangi scenario.

@Dave, are there any rules or guidance out there with regard to using mounted characters? I don't recall seeing anything anywhere, but Pulp Alley is perfect for Old West games.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
I've been picking up the odd dinosaur here and there, too. I have a burning need to do a Valley of Gwangi scenario.

@Dave, are there any rules or guidance out there with regard to using mounted characters? I don't recall seeing anything anywhere, but Pulp Alley is perfect for Old West games.

Oh yes, we loves them thar westerns. In years gone by, our fist few Pulp Alley playtest games were actually played with cowboy miniatures. I definitely think of westerns as a pulp genre.

There are several ways to do mounted characters, just depending on the level of detail and control you want. The easiest way is to just give the the Speedy ability. Mounts will be covered in more depths in our Pulp Vehicles book. So here's a preview of an ability/perk that you can start using --

Cavalry -- This mounted character may run up to 16" and gains +1d Brawl when moving to engage an enemy. However, attempting a plot point is a full action for this character.

In addition, we'll introduce rules for characters to ride horses and other special mounts. Some basic notes --

Steeds --- A mounted character may run up to 16". Mounting/dismounting a steed is not an action, but is simply treated as part of the character’s movement.
> A character may not move more than 12” if they mounted a steed on the same activation.
> After dismounting, a character may not continue moving if they already moved over 12” on the same activation.

Mounted characters fight as normal, with few exceptions.
> Mounted characters always count as being in cover. However, if you roll a “1” on the cover save then their steed is ko'd in addition to the character failing their Health check and being injured.
> Although mounted characters may be engaged by the enemy, they are free to disengage on their own activation by simply moving away.

More to come...

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 01:24:33 PM »
Brilliant! Thanks, Dave! I think that I absolutely need to try these rules out! However, I can't help thinking that mounting or dismounting a horse at a run sounds somewhat...perilous?  >:D

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Brilliant! Thanks, Dave! I think that I absolutely need to try these rules out! However, I can't help thinking that mounting or dismounting a horse at a run sounds somewhat...perilous?  >:D

We've tried it a few different ways, but I like playing it as a random peril. If you dismount on a run, you can jump into an enemy and both guys have to roll for the same random peril.  lol lol lol

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com