Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Comparison pics - Galloping Major, Oniria, Black Scorpion , Artizan - More added  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Having taken delivery of new toys this week from Oniria and Galloping major , here is a comparison shot for you with some Black Scorpion and Artizan... apologies i have not got the new ones painted yet...

Artizan, Galloping Major, Black Scorpion Oniria,Black Scorpion,Galloping Major, Artizan

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:56:05 PM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Comparison pics - Galloping Major, Oniria, Black Scorpion , Artizan
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
That is interesting. I am amazed how different the first Artizan figure is in comparison he looks tiny, even in relation to the Artizan figure on the right hand side who loosk larger.

I also always though the Black Scorpion figures were also much taller as well. Very interesting, thanks for posting this.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
well i thought the galloping major figures would be more in scale with artizan, strange that the black scorpion ones seem to be more in scale with the artizan! thanks for this comparison, i may just get some black scorpion stuff now

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
I always like comparison photos. Not quite sure why.

Just to be awkward, do you have any Foundry West figures, or know how they compare. I expect they'd be on the small side as they're quite old now. They are, however, what a small outcrop on my personal lead mountain is comprised of  ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
I also always though the Black Scorpion figures were also much taller as well. Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

Basing can hide a multitude of sins. If you look at them, the BS figures have had their tabs removed so are flat footed onto the base whereas the Artizan and GM figs are still on integral bases. This evens them up a bit. I think the Bat Masterson figure on the left also has a thinner integral than the guy on the right.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
Basing can hide a multitude of sins. If you look at them, the BS figures have had their tabs removed so are flat footed onto the base whereas the Artizan and GM figs are still on integral bases. This evens them up a bit. I think the Bat Masterson figure on the left also has a thinner integral than the guy on the right.

Ahha! Yes, I see your reasoning ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
I find the difference between the two GM figures surprising though.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
Thanks for that. I would use all of them together no problems. What is a few millimeters amongst friends?

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »
Nice one Deedles. I was going to update my comparison thread but you've beat me to it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »
Yep, remember...Black Scorpion ones are also slotta-based...(or at least they ship that way).  So no integral base like some other lines.  The only one that really stands out to me is the Oniria one.  The GM ones are definitely bigger than I originally thought too. My buddies run a lot of Artizan figures while I run almost exclusively Black Scorpion...they all fit well enough together.  The Brigade Games Bushwackers are slightly small, but not noticeably so.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
I always like comparison photos. Not quite sure why.

Just to be awkward, do you have any Foundry West figures, or know how they compare.

i do - i will set some shots up - also have knuckleduster and blue moon ones well so will include those

Yep, remember...Black Scorpion ones are also slotta-based...(or at least they ship that way).  So no integral base like some other lines.  

yep - they are done on slottas, so you do lose a bit over height there. i find they all mix well - and are within enough of a tolerance to be acceptable
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:02:14 PM by Deedles »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
I will say the Knuckleduster minis I have are so small they don't fit with almost anything (and particularly not Black Scorpion).  I suppose you could use some of the women perhaps. 

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »
I find the difference between the two GM figures surprising though.

Well spotted  :)
The cowboy is a "Soldiers Free" giveaway figure, I sculpted him as a test piece some time back, he's just a tad bigger than the others; as I settled on the overall size for the figures in the range to be as the FIW range*, so that's why I decided to make him a giveaway. I like to think of him as "the tall stranger".
The Western Range figures wil equate in size to the cavalry trooper second from right who can be taken as typical for size.  :D

*No direct link of course, but I want all my stuff to work together for size and proportion, so there'll be no greatly noticable size contrast when useful crossovers between ranges come up later.  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Here are few more for you then

Black S, Crusader, Knuckleduster, Black S, Foundry, Knuckleduster, Black S

Crusader,Black S,Galloping Major ,Artizan,Black S,Artizan ,Knuckleduster,Foundry

Galloping Major unpainted , Artizan painted

Perhaps not as helpful - but the Black Scorpion are on the larger bases - the rest are Blue Moon Tombstone civilians , which come cast with large 25mm circular base - i am going to change them over at some point or build them up with an extra washer under  - but they still mix ok , as they all actually very different in sculpt anyway

I have put this lot on a blog post as well

http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/old-west-figure-manufacture-comparison.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:26:52 AM by Deedles »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
Well spotted  :)
The cowboy is a "Soldiers Free" giveaway figure, I sculpted him as a test piece some time back, he's just a tad bigger than the others; as I settled on the overall size for the figures in the range to be as the FIW range*, so that's why I decided to make him a giveaway. I like to think of him as "the tall stranger".

ahh - he is a lovely figure in the flesh - he will be getting lick of paint very soon!

I think they will all mix in very well with what I already have - looking forward to some mounted Cavalry!