Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690886
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: You cannot be serious  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: You cannot be serious
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:30:16 AM »
Sympathies...indignation...embarassment at being an American, etc., etc.  But (he wonders with tentative excitement), what does this "new line of figures" foretell?  This sounds a little more momentous than the addition of news reporters.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:18:52 AM »
What terrible news...   >:(

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
I was one of the ones waiting for Bob at Enfilade...and wondered aloud with the cons organizers if something like this had happened to him.

To be clear. The main issue with customs is that you cannot enter this country to sell product direct to customers without a work visa.

The way around this is to either:

Hire local help to sell for you and run your booth, while you "volunteer" to work the booth, but not handle any transactions.

Sell orders for delivery later, but not actual product.

Have a buddy sell the product at their booth under your banner.  Again, you can work the booth as long as you do not actually accept money yourself or hand over product yourself.

In all three scenarios, you can still get paid.  It's the actual transaction of cash for product by a no US citizen that is the deal killer.

in the same token, if I hauled a load of product up to Canada, I'd be hit with tax on the entire inventory, and then would have to subtract the tax from unsold product on the way back down.  A mere trifle though compared to the humiliation that Bob suffered.

Also, for what it's worth, I never cross at that border station on trips.  It's a bit in the backwoods, and they hassle everyone, especially couples and families who are of mixed ethnic backgrounds (my wife being half Chinese American...I'd be pulled over for smuggling people (yes...this has happened to family members...)

Now, it sounds as if the border agents were a bit to eager to do their job here.  And He was also given clearly the wrong information from the get go, since you do need a work permit to handle transactions here.  These border guys clearly overstepped their bounds and seemed to be using their authority to intimidate someone on an otherwise boring day.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 08:27:53 AM »
In this respect I am quite happy with the European Union. Free movment of goods and labor.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
But I miss those friendly border posts, with their SMG-toting guards, and reassuring Baader-Meinhof wanted posters with all those bad haircuts on them.

Still, since Al-Qaeda hit town, at least we have regained a taste of the good old days at the Channel ports.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:13:56 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »
I don't think the Canadians are the ones rushing across the border to get "our" jobs.  Must be nice to work the chushy jobs on that border rather than the hard one.  Looks like Bob ran into a Super Trooper.  Too bad because I don't know who in America makes U.S. Marines from between the wars........ 

Brigade Games do and they are in the US aren't they?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
Not surprising when you consider the hysteria that is constantly being stirred by the administration of our country.  (I was going to say something about looking at the moron who runs the place, but felt I'd restrain myself :P )
Winners never quit, and quitters never win...but if you never win, and never quit, you may just be an idiot!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »
A truly sad day for fans of Bob. I hope this does not mess up any plans he had for Historicon. I'd bet he would have no shortage of volunteer temporary employees to man the booth for him in exchange for lead currency.

It's frustrating to live in a country where it is fine for super-rich corporate CEOs to send thousands of jobs overseas to slightly increase profit margins, but it somehow criminal for a small one-man operation to try to make a living.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
A truly sad day for fans of Bob. I hope this does not mess up any plans he had for Historicon.
Bob was not going to be at Historicon this year (the cost of travelling was not worth it). He is going to have RLBPS selling his stuff though.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. Now I know where to send my designated shopper since I can't make it either!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
A truly sad day for fans of Bob. I hope this does not mess up any plans he had for Historicon.

I suspect that those will require some reworking if he is even allowed over the border

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
On the plus side, perhaps we will soon see a pack of nefarious international criminals and smugglers with one based on Mr. Murch himself.  lol

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
What total crap!  I would love to go on a political rant but this case speakes for itself.

Man, I feel much safer knowing that US Customs is preventing Pulp Figures from "stealing jobs".

I will be ordering many Pulp Figures in the future provided they also are not seized at the border.

Cheers,
Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »
I take it that having once been branded as 'attempting to enter the US illegally' future visits will also come under close scrutiny, presuming they are even allowed?

If so, that is really awful... one a**hole with an attitude shouldn't be able to affect people's lives and livelihoods like this.

Still 'Enemy of the State' is a nice moniker to bandy around, just not much consolation.

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »
I take it that having once been branded as 'attempting to enter the US illegally' future visits will also come under close scrutiny, presuming they are even allowed?
Still 'Enemy of the State' is a nice moniker to bandy around, just not much consolation.

Can keep you out for three years, I believe, although that may only be the case if you overstay a visa...in this case he didn't actually enter the US, so....

A year ago, a friend of mine went on vacation to the US for two weeks. The immigration official never took the I94 (green slip) out of his passport when he left. He was refused entry last month because according to their records, "he'd never left and was in the country illegally....."

Because of the "length of time" he'd "been there", he now has a 10 year ban....
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.