Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 08:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695410
  • Total Topics: 118684
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout: Heading East  (Read 211401 times)

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Re: Fallout, Heading East
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
With all the heavy armour the NCR/ Chinese reminants have, do you have any plans for Legion armour or anti tank units?

I love how youve expanded the factions, it goes beyond the game! I might have to try something similar, youve been a huge inspiration.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
It'd be a large scenario in which I actually ran any amount of armour (in 7Tv a tank costs 100 pts, whilst the average game runs at 200). That said, I'm am adding more units as I go on.

The NCR will be recieving a Power Armour hunting team armed with an anti-material rifle. My Raiders will have a group of guys with RPGs. I've written some rules for landmines too (and could include these with some rules I've planned for 7ombieTv by adding them to dogs instead of zombies).

Though with the Legion I'm more of the opinion that yes, they would make use of RPGs, but they'd use traps or armour penetrating ballistic fists (or grenade brooms) to take down armour. That, or ramming their own vehicles into power armoured troopers to crush them. The Legion do have armoured units at the moment though. In the completed and WIP piles sit: A Jackal APC, A M8 Greyhound, a Humber Scout Car and a light "Chariot" (based off of a pre war car). I think that the Legion would use their vehicles like cavarly rather than as firing platforms, chasing down and ramming things to death and dispersing troops. More conventional factions like the NCR and Brotherhood would use their vehicles more appropriately, but the tribals would treat theres more like riding beasts.

^^ Tah, much.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Love that legion concept. Wonder if it would be possable to do a legion 'stealth' team with Ballistic fists for ambushing armour.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Actually, come to think of it my Imperial Guard army's officers were armed with Ballistic Fists. An old picture, but here's one (on her left hand). Don't worry, I'll manage something better (ooh, rocket fists?).

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
Chinese Infantrymen(I need to tidy these up a little. The goggles are a bit wonky. I'm terrible at sculpting in batches)

Instant mold is quite handy for that kinda thing!
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
Yeah, but who needs thirty Soviet heads with helmets? But, I should invest in molding some day. Its a bitch buying the same parts over and over when I could just make my own bits and cast them.

Oh, and my copy of the Fallout 3 concept art book turned up today. Those Chinese soldiers are labelled "Commandos", so I guess the guys in jumpsuits are the line infantrymen. Not a big fluff change from my interpretation at least. Yes, that little chapbook ought to be larger, but its interesting nonetheless. Whatever happened to the full sized one?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »
Instant Mold is perrrrfect for very short runs of stuff. Just the thing for adding a wee element of 'cut & paste' to your production work....

Cheap AND re-usable, so terrifically economical.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
Pretty much what Peabody said; Instant mold is brilliant stuff. I just used it to replicate a leg for my robot figure.
Melt it back down to a blob, re-use it later.

It can be used to make two-part molds too, if you're careful. You needn't use resin for any of the molds you use it for, though resin itself WILL work very nicely in it.

Make a hefty frame out of leg, set the pieces into blu-tac (not plastecine for the love of god not plastecine) and then push melty instant mold over it, use a block of lego bricks with flat tiles on to push the IM down flat, then pull free and repeat for side 2..

Easy peasy and a hell of a lot faster than RTV!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
We'll see. Its finding a need for it right now. It'll probably be a great aid, but for the moment I'm fine with just resculpting things a few times. That said, I may try something new and wonder why I've not been using it before.  ;)

Caesar's Legion
Centurion(Artizan Spartan Javelinmen)

A suitable leader for my Legionaires? Phallacus of Two Suns (is that a name given him by the NCR, or actually his real name that he bears with pride?), leader of this particular segment of the Legion operating in what was the Southwest Commonwealth. He carries an old Soviet PPSh-41 SMG, alongside what appears to be an American Civil War era officer's sword (a reproduction, or perhaps taken from a sword collection), signs of affluence within the Legion, and both suitably taken from fallen foes.

The model's mainly the original Artizan mini, with just the addition of the T-45d helmet and pauldron, amongst some other little bits and a bit of greenstuff. Hopefully he has the appearance of an officer, enough to make him stand out from my regular legionaires. I could do with a  few more character models for the faction, but that's for a later date. A Frumentarii assassin would be nice, as would some heavily armoured veterans armed with advanced weaponry like Thermic Lances, Super Sledges and shishkabobs provide me with the third line of offence that I'm missing (Recruits, Veterans, Heavies).

Legion Slavers (Crooked Dice Simian Minions with West Wind/Maxi Mini heads)

In part bought because I spent £4 on the train ticket to the shop that sold them and I couldn't find much else to buy. I suppose these work well as Legion specific slavers, as well, what else could they have been? They're a little scenario specific perhaps, though I suppose I could have them trailing alongside the main force to swoop in and pick up some captures.

Legion Equos(Bolt Action Humber Scout Car)

A small scout unit in use by the Legion. Perhaps sequestered by the Slavers for use in their duties? The Legion seem to be receiving a bit of British gear of late. I suppose those pre-war armouries must include a bit of mothballed British kit.

And I'm making another Circle of Steel agent. I bought this model for the gun it came with (youknow, the one that's larger than her...), but thought it too tall for use. After cutting apart her limbs by half it seems to fit now. It still needs work though. Damn those feet are huge.

Next up I think I'll be working on a few command units for the NCR. I bought the Chindit HQ blister by Bolt Action that includes a pair of officers, medic and a radio man. At the moment I'm not too happy with the existing officers I have, and think that I could be doing with more leaders anyway considering I now have a platoon of the regular troopers. That jeep in the above picture's going to act as their ride.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
Nice idea re: the Crooked Dice simians!
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
Pics and shiz. ^^'

New Californian Republic
Armoured Personnel Carrier(Games Workshop Chimera)

This is one of the Chimeras that I used for my sapper themed Imperial Guard Army. Most of the model's plasticard, with the rear cab and tracks being from a Games Workshop Chimera. I gave it a bit of a touch up as I'd rather not strip it.

In games I'd use it as a transport for Heavy Troopers. Its pretty big compared to the rest of my vehicles (despite being smaller than the original Chimera kit, its still 1/3rd larger than a 1/48 Sherman), so I'm thinking that the scale's to carry large suits of power armour as opposed to regular troops. There's an NCR flag by the front door painted over an old US star, though its obscured by dirt, as is there a little decal at the rear to represent some sort of Cavalry division. I'm thinking that this is a locally made NCR APC as opposed to a pre-war one like the vehicles used by the Brotherhood.

Heavy Trooper (Brother Vinni)

Because with an escalation in the size of my forces one of these guys was inevitable. The body's a Brother Vinni T-45d suit, with the head being from Maxi Mini and arms from a Dust Tactics German. In future I'd like to make another three or four of these for use in large scenarios (perhaps alongside NCR special forces or just the regular infantry), as are they just interesting models to make. To differentiate this guy from the Brotherhood ones I opted for a different style of head, though I'd maybe opt for something more resembling this image. But I'll wait till after Messyart finishes off his heavy weapons probably- assault rifles are a bit bitty I think.

The Chindits will come later, studying to be done. Looking through The Art of Fallout 3 I may have a go at some raiders wearing scrap armour this week, but I do have a habit of getting sidetracked... (which is to say I'll be working on something comepletely different, I do have a "to do" pile sitting on my painting table, plus some Chindits I told myself to finish today).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »
Anyone source me a set of M16/AR15 style rifles with attachments? I'm looking for ones to represent a marksman rifle style rifle with ACOG scopes and other crap. Maxi Mini sells some, but I think they're scaled to fit Imperial Guard like their AKs, and so'd be too large. In future I'd like to put together a unit of NCR Special Forces from the Beyond Boulder Dome mod (though not as ghouls, or at least not wholly).

These look kind of suitable, sans the mods, but again I think they may be made for Games Workshop figures. =/

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
 :-* nice apc. Your build is escalating nicely.

I just discovered dust tactics figures myself, and bought a box of German recon grenadiers for converting into pseudo governmental nasties. I think they work really well. I prefer the lighter armour options than just having huge baddies in power armour. What do you think of the range?

Cheers
Matt

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
I find that the Dust Tactic's infantry is a little too large for the scale, though workable. I'd like the plastic their cast in to be a little stronger. I mean it its serviceable, but a little soft. They're decent models for the price overall though. I posted them a bit ago, but I'm using the heavy armoured guys as power armoured troopers (the scale's fine as I like them looking imposing). As well as those I have a pair of walkers set for use with the Broterhood and Raiders. The wierd war style fits Fallout quite well, so conversions can be minimal if you're looking for something appropriate.

At the moment my Dust Tactics conversions amount to these:
American Remnants G.I.

Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave Remnants troopers

Did I post this? Ah wait I haven't finished painting the damn thing. Here's the bit of fluff I wrote up for an American Walker that I have planned to press into Brotherhood service.

Liberty Light Support Walker (American Blackhawk)

The pre-war US experimented in a line of support suits to supplement its combat forces in the years leading up to the Great War. Due to the development of Powered Armour and advances in robots they weren't used in large numbers, and eventually would fall by the wayside. The typical Heavy Infantryman could be armed to the equivalent of most conventional tanks, leading to the limited functionality of such mechs beyond where powered suits weren't available. To those nations to whom power armour wasn't available may have developed walkers as a less technological alternative, though they were ultimately outclassed by the smaller, more manoeuvrable man sized suits.

Speculative fluff. Yeah, I may be calling these things a bit crap in comparison to the US' power armour, but really they'd probably be quite efficient weapons. Sure a Heavy Infantryman man can carry a nuclear catapult, but in comparison to one of these they're squishier, and can't carry weapons beyond those a typical un-armoured weapons team could. I would imagine they would have been used alongside power armoured units to act in a similar role as tanks would in the less functional un-armoured ones, ie fire support.

Whatever. This thing's there for any force capable of fielding such technological heavy pieces of kit. Stylisticly I mean the Brotherhood, as I picture the Enclave using drone units rather than these un-automated suits. Once the next step up military tech, the Enclave would be using the newer gear, whilst the Brotherhood may find themselves salvaging mothballed units from old armouries.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
Anvil Industry would be my suggestion for the mods. The guns you can get from Hasslefree I think :)