Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697743
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HVF Arrives!!!  (Read 10521 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: HVF Arrives!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:49 AM »
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

By having no internal artwork or photographs we were able to add another 5,000 words, giving HVF about 20% more material than IHMN despite having the same number of pages. So if you have an electronic copy you are missing nothing.

We are looking forwards to your opinions on our second publication, especially as we are currently writing the third.

To celebrate the launch, this week on the blog we are going to publish some of the companies we couldn't pack into HVF and some new fiction. :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
Today you shall find on the Bonus Materials page a new company called The Bloody Thistle. This is a Jacobite secret society committed to returning a Stuart to the throne and ending two centuries of ‘German rule’.

arrgggh , i was thinking ( and buying ) for a Secret Society committed to returning the great son of Louis XVII , Jean de Bourbon  ( https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Bourbon_%28Naundorff%29 ) to the throne of France .
with some kind of Joan of Arc in steam powered armour , a bishop, a hunting party  etc ...

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Anything you chaps particularly like in the new tome?

Caine and Baker
Dempsey and Makepeace  lol
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
By having no internal artwork or photographs we were able to add another 5,000 words, giving HVF about 20% more material than IHMN despite having the same number of pages

I fully understand that space constraints require difficult decisions and compromise about what to include (having to deal with that conundrum in my own writing), and concur that content should take precedence over images. The downside is that I am always interested in your concepts of the appearance and, well, the visual "feel" you have for the Companies.

Perhaps a future project for the IHMN blog could fill the gap? In the meantime, I will continue to peruse the content of HVF and harvest the many jewels of inspiration to be found therein.

Mike O
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 12:05:46 PM »
Caine and Baker
Dempsey and Makepeace  lol

We were wondering if people would notice these and others.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
arrgggh , i was thinking ( and buying ) for a Secret Society committed to returning the great son of Louis XVII , Jean de Bourbon  ( https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Bourbon_%28Naundorff%29 ) to the throne of France .
with some kind of Joan of Arc in steam powered armour , a bishop, a hunting party  etc ...

We shall look forwards to seeing it  :D

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
Perhaps a future project for the IHMN blog could fill the gap? In the meantime, I will continue to peruse the content of HVF and harvest the many jewels of inspiration to be found therein.

Hi Mike,

Sleeping Dragon, Rising Sun shall be formatted in the same manner as HVF I'm afraid.

It should be noted that the artwork and photos in IHMN were done independently of the authors by Osprey. Indeed it was Jesse McGibney's work that inspired us to include Mechanical Walkers.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
got mine today  ;D

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
No hard copy but Got the PDF , and  amazing only read  for 2 hours and lots of stuff new and what i wanted and loads of ideas. well worth it excellent work. you all doomed to more of my IHMN AARs now...

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
I like it. Read through a good portion of it last night and am impressed. No pictures, just useful information. With the back round information provided it gives a better understanding of what's going on in the world and why things are the way they are in this alternative universe. Charts provided will help fill in the gaps on stats of everyday items as well as some new devices. (I didn't realize an incense burner made a good weapon :D) This would make a very good addition to alot of campaigns reguardless of the rules being used.

Well done!!

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
Went ahead and got the Kindle version last night, and Amazon beat its own prediction and delivered my hardcopy today. Can't wait to dive into it more thoroughly, but I have to say that, even with the vast increase in availability of weapons, vehicles, mounts and equipment, Craig and Charles have shown the strength of sticking to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) design principles. They've taken Occam's Razor to rules and mechanics and presented a system that is flexible but not overly complicated, inclusive but not cluttered, and rich with choices without dampening the creativity of the player. Kudos, gentlemen! Another successful foray that makes me even more eager for the third volume.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
Craig:

Didn't get it at first, but when I saw his name was Don Diego, I started to sing "Out of the night, when the full moon is bright, comes the horseman known as Toro."   lol

Love the priest and the Intervention power: again, an excellent, well-conceived Company that I have to have. But my first disagreement: the character of Isabella cries out for Mystic Powers. In my humble opinion anyway.

Mike O

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
But my first disagreement: the character of Isabella cries out for Mystic Powers. In my humble opinion anyway.

I expect you know what my answer shall be... then give her some :) What we write is guidance for the wise...  :D

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »
if for most companies, i have figures in mind, the swiss pontifical guard is a mystery for me . swiss pontifical guard is not pontifical zouaves so  ? ???

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
if for most companies, i have figures in mind, the swiss pontifical guard is a mystery for me . swiss pontifical guard is not pontifical zouaves so  ? ???

This Wikipedia article has photographs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard

If you take some Landsknecht figures and add some Victorian weapons you should get the right effect  :D