Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nostalgia!  (Read 7778 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Nostalgia!
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »
http://soldatetain.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/nostalgia/
Blog post, all about nostalgia!

I was recently reading and thoroughly enjoying this post over on Lead Adventure:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=32158.0

For anyone who is familiar with the best days of the Dungeons & Dragons game, the thread will be like a trip through time. The poster, Spooktalker, has an amazing collection of vintage and new miniatures that are from those halcyon days, or evoke them.

As a result of reading through them, I was inspired to haul out my collection and take some photos.

First up, is my oldest collection, the “white box” set, plus all the supplements from the beginning of D&D.

The rest of the pics are here: http://soldatetain.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/nostalgia/
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:22:22 AM »
A classic.  Yours has survived remarkably well.  I started earnestly with Moldvay B/X after a brief bout with Holmes Bluebook.  Still play B/X to this day.  I never owned the LBBs so I may buy the premium reprints in Dec.  I just hate the cover art.  Thanks for sharing.
This is my boomstick!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:06 AM »
A classic.  Yours has survived remarkably well.  I started earnestly with Moldvay B/X after a brief bout with Holmes Bluebook.  Still play B/X to this day.  I never owned the LBBs so I may buy the premium reprints in Dec.  I just hate the cover art.  Thanks for sharing.

The reprint is tempting...  ;D

Cheers!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:32:49 AM »
And...Amazon US has them marked off $50. 

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »
Thanks for the shoutout and great post! Your credentials check out... can somebody get this guy a special badge or something? :)

Seriously, very nice collection, right on.

The set of books I use are in your 3rd pic down, but my copies were bought later second hand.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the shoutout and great post! Your credentials check out... can somebody get this guy a special badge or something? :)

Seriously, very nice collection, right on.

The set of books I use are in your 3rd pic down, but my copies were bought later second hand.

Thanks!  :D

It was good to haul out all the stuff and browse through it. Great times... simpler times! We should form a badge-society...

Cheers!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
Oooh, shiney!  o_o

I love the old D&D game. It was such an incredible new level of gaming, I think maybe the Invention of the wheel is comparable with the Advent of rpgs. But only barely!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
My god.They are even older than the set i had. I had the basic rules set from 1978.
http://www.waynesbooks.com/dungeonsdragons.html
My school grades went down fast after buying that. My head was always in another world.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
I had the red box set with the elmore art. It was great fun back then. Your set is ace. I bet you are a tidy person.

lol

When I was a kid, my dad was a warrant officer in the Canadian Air Force, so we moved every 2-4 years. I was allowed on very small bookcase, and that's all the personal books I was allowed! His sense of tidy has rubbed off, I suppose, but I'm not as uptight about it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »
I never had those, but my brother and I did have the original old board game version.

;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
 lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
I spent so long copying the ink drawings in those sorts of books with my Rotring technical drawing pens. For some reason there was this weird subculture in our school where we would buy loads of Rotring pens in different sizes and spend ages stripping them down, cleaning them and filling them with ink. Was this just us?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
I spent so long copying the ink drawings in those sorts of books with my Rotring technical drawing pens. For some reason there was this weird subculture in our school where we would buy loads of Rotring pens in different sizes and spend ages stripping them down, cleaning them and filling them with ink. Was this just us?

Nope. I had loads of those pens too!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 02:40:40 AM »
What a great collection. I don't actually have my D&D books any more but a friend still has kept them (and his own) along with hundreds of my 70's & 80'S figures safe and sound. I guess we'll have to break them out one day and go through them.  ;D

Me too. I used them for years after my school years and I still have them stashed away in a box in the garage. I love the feel of them and the way they work.

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »
LOL. With our group you just weren't 'at' the table if you didn't have a technical pen...

Thanks for the nostalgia hit.  :-*
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!