Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the apaches ? or plain indians ?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
the apaches ? or plain indians ?
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
i'm quite disapointed  with the apache list !

first off all the "bear" even shinning  ;)

then the weapons

am i the only one interested in apaches history ?

but it's a great plain indian list  ;)
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: the apaches ? or plain indians ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
am i the only one interested in apaches history ?

Not at all Lou.

We went for a generic Native American list, but felt using the term 'Apache' was more appropriate to the period as most other tribes had long been conquered by the end of the century.

Also we felt it more interesting to go for a traditionalist revival, with the rejection of the white man's technology. Otherwise we'd have ended up with just another cowboy/outlaw list.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
I disagreed with this and recommended changing it to a Plains tribe  ;) :P

In fact I'd suggest a blog post along these lines Craig. I've had people ask about this and also the Zulu list when I used it for Cannibals the other night. I had to explain that they are generic lists that you can use the skills/options to tweak to particular tribes (or just rewrite if you want), for example my Cannibals were all Stealthy but weren't allowed guns.

Unfortunately people still have a hang up on 'official' things and the big block of text is selling them only one theme.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
i disagree with
Also we felt it more interesting to go for a traditionalist revival, with the rejection of the white man's technology. Otherwise we'd have ended up with just another cowboy/outlaw list.
Apaches have a very specific culture, and were opportunistics .
Call them American-indian tribesmen and i have no more problems with the list ( and still a lot of problems with my english  :'( )

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
Apache Confederation?

Based on the principle that the tribe (nation) with the most votes (Spears) gets to choose the name?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
i disagree with Apaches have a very specific culture, and were opportunistics .
Call them American-indian tribesmen and i have no more problems with the list ( and still a lot of problems with my english  :'( )

We welcome your disagreement, but please understand though that this is a Victorian scientific romance, a world that never was, so sometimes the themes we choose will not please everyone and we are happy with that. We encourage you to be creative with how you interpret and use the rules and the companies for your one games  :D

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »
We welcome your disagreement, but please understand though that this is a Victorian scientific romance, a world that never was, so sometimes the themes we choose will not please everyone and we are happy with that. We encourage you to be creative with how you interpret and use the rules and the companies for your one games  :D

Craig raises a great point that I think some people miss. He has given you a basic list for First Nation people, if you don't like it that is fine  this game is all about modification in order to suit tastes and play styles, so just change it. For example I am not in love with the Outlaws gangs, nothing Craig did wrong I just find them lacking in selection from my point of view (which is likely different then Craig's and that is alright). So I have added a few things: I added  the gunslinger is good with pistols and one on one fights, the ronin a master of the two handed sword (You can not take more then 7) and the desperado a sniper. I did this because I felt they needed a boost. So if you don't like something fix it to match your vision, you have the rule books and Craig has been nice enough to share his quick building list.

Cheers,

Daniel
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
Unfortunately people still have a hang up on 'official' things and the big block of text is selling them only one theme.

Really? I don't understand being a fan of IHMN and getting hung-up on 'official' things. It's about as far from that scene as you can get.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Really? I don't understand being a fan of IHMN and getting hung-up on 'official' things. It's about as far from that scene as you can get.

It's more people who are new to the game or interested in trying it.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
Also we felt it more interesting to go for a traditionalist revival, with the rejection of the white man's technology

This is one reason I found the Apache Company compelling, and will--eventually--paint one up. With, as I said in another post, a hot female shamaness. But as I was saying....

This type of revival movement swept periodically through the Indian world, as various far-seeing individuals (Tecumseh and Sitting Bull are two examples, as I recall) saw--quite correctly--that reliance on the Europeans' technology would result in the end of the Indians' culture and way of life. So HVF's adaptation of this version of an Indian company rings absolutely true to me, and is an elegant approach to expanding the IHMN world. Bravo!

If you don't like the bows, assume that they are enhanced in some way---mystically? rediscovered ancestral knowledge?---and treat them as crossbows.

Mike O
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden