Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Replacing plastic shields  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
Replacing plastic shields
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Hi all

my problem is I have not enough old Citadel plastic shield to fit with my old school minis and I'm looking for generic shields in plastic (prefer) or metal

I know the em4 ones which are good...but is there somewhere a brand that provide good ones ?

thanks for your help

cheers

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Replacing plastic shields
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
Which type of shield and how many are you looking for? I may have some spare that I can send you.

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:14 AM »
Well, I need some shield of this type which allow to put some decals

about 10 or more

image from realmofchaos80's

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
I think that's just the plain shield with no hole in it (they went through a phase of having the shield boss bit on the figure's arm).

I'll have a look tonight and let you know if I have any. I certainly have loads with the hole in the shield, not sure how many plain ones I have.

Offline Klingsor

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
We have been using the round dark age shields from the Gripping Beast Saxon, Viking and Dark Age Warrior sets (they are the same for all three) for a lot of things. Nice plain shields. The Wargames Factory old style skeletons are impossible to assemble for me so their hoplite shields were surplus and got used as well. With plastic miniatures I find the plastic shields so much easier to use than metal ones so it is almost worth our while buying the boxes just to steal the shields from them. I do not like the style of the Wargames Factory Dark Age shields (exaggerated rim) so will not use them.

If you want metal shields Gripping Beast and others do metal shields in various styles and sizes.

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:28:41 AM »
@zemjw: thanks, I could be interested in those with hole in it too

@klingsor : I could be interested in gripping beast metal shields :), depending the design...circular with a lip and no umbo could work for me :)...in order to put some decal on it ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
You could always use drawing pins, they come in various sizes and have a smooth surface to put transfers on. Either snip off the pointy bit or drill a hole into the figure (I prefer the later as it makes for a tougher joint).
Have you thought about shields that are not round? Shields do come in a variety of shapes:-rectangular;oval;diamond;kite;squarish etc.  A bit of plastic card (could even use some packaging) cut to shape and a little bit of filing around the corners does for me. I once 'shielded' a unit of 50 Sassanid levy in a weekend with some plastic stapping, the kind that goes around parcels, well who wants to spend money on levy units? The strapping was cut with scissors into rectangles. a bonus was the strapping has a diamond pattern on it, shields were painted one colour then dry brushed another. The unit looked quite nice when finished.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
@Maspalio - completely forgot about this last night, sorry. This old age thing gets tiresome sometimes :-[

However, it's written down on this weekend's to do list, so I'll get back to you

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »
A bit of plastic card (could even use some packaging) cut to shape and a little bit of filing around the corners does for me.

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/pic/Vermis/Fantasy/Ogres/halflings2a.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/pic/Vermis/Fantasy/Ogres/halflings3a.jpg.html
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/pic/Vermis/Fantasy/Ogres/halflings3b.jpg.html

:D

I have a few vintage citadel plastic shields myself, if you want some. (The only sign of my very short time on the Oldhammer bandwagon) Almost all kite and heater shapes, though, and some with texture on 'em.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I for one never knew there were quite so many varieties of shield o_o

From left to right

12mm diameter - I have 9 of these
12.8mm diameter - This seems to be pictures 2 and 3 (not sure why I photographed these twice. I think my measuring gauge was messing with me, and the first time I checked them it gave them as different sizes). I have 4 of these
13.2mm diameter - I have 9 of these
14.2mm diameter - I have 5 of these
15.2mm diameter - I have 3 of these

The round ones with the hole in the middle are 11.6mm diameter, and I have a bunch of them

Let me know if are any of these are suitable

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
check ebay bits resellers, they often have cheap shields for warhammer and also stuff like the Wargames Factory plastics. $2.99USD for 16 viking shields is pretty good, although shipping might be an issue if that's all you're buying

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIKING-HUSCARLS-BITS-16x-SHIELDS-Wargames-Factory-/330990788277?pt=Games_US&hash=item4d10969eb5
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
You could always try press moulding shields. I did a little experiment some time ago when I was grumbling about my lack of a certain shield design (the old pointy chaosy shields with the hole in). I pressed a greased shield into greenstuff, let it dry and then used Milliput to fill the mould. It needed a bit of clean up and the back sanding smooth but it wasn't bad for a first attempt.

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
@kalamadea : those shields are looking great !!! thanks for the links
@Stone : thanks for the tip ! I'll give it a try if I don't succeed to find what I'm looking for ;)