Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Engineered Barricades as Dangerous Terrain?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
Engineered Barricades as Dangerous Terrain?
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
How do you chaps handle barbed wire entanglements?
For that matter how do you handle engineered barricades?

IHMN has 'impromptu barricades' as a Type 2 Terrain - so it slows you down but doesn't stop you. Fair enough for something built by your average urban rioter.

What about something more substantial & military in origin - perhaps an earthen rampart, stakes & barbed wire?

Is it impassable or perhaps passable with a Pluck roll?
Can you get stuck?
Does it potentially inflict damage?
Would it be fair to assume that Walkers, Steam Horses and mechanised vehicles generally could move straight through it?
Can I connect my barbed wire to an Arc Generator to make it more fun (and discombobulate over confident mechanical transport).
I don’t see this is a regular feature on the field of battle but it would encourage the use of Luft Harnesses and the like.

Your thoughts and comments, as always, welcome.

Regards (& Merry Christmas)
Mark B.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Engineered Barricades as Dangerous Terrain?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »
How do you chaps handle barbed wire entanglements?
For that matter how do you handle engineered barricades?

IHMN has 'impromptu barricades' as a Type 2 Terrain - so it slows you down but doesn't stop you. Fair enough for something built by your average urban rioter.

What about something more substantial & military in origin - perhaps an earthen rampart, stakes & barbed wire?

Methinks this comes under the description of Type 3 Terrain (trenches, bunkers, fortifications etc.).

Would it be fair to assume that Walkers, Steam Horses and mechanised vehicles generally could move straight through it?

Mechanised vehicles, especially armoured ones maybe. However, one must remember that mechanised walkers and steam horses are not mecha, but the great-grandfathers of mecha. Clunky, steam-driven, prone to blowing a gasket and kept together only by rusting cast iron rivets and fervent prayer.

Can I connect my barbed wire to an Arc Generator to make it more fun (and discombobulate over confident mechanical transport).

If you can find a way to insulate the wire from the ground perhaps. Barbed wire was generally supported by metal stakes, a perfect earthing tool.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
Thanks for answering Craig, Merry Christmas.

Methinks this comes under the description of Type 3 Terrain (trenches, bunkers, fortifications etc.).

I get that scrambling across trenches would cost 3" of movement and certainly would give +3 cover, I just think that something like an entanglement is designed to stop people and/or hurt them so would be a bit more of a problem for attackers?
It would be an uncommon occurrence as it assumes one side has had time and resources to prepare a static defence  but in turn it would make the use of aerial troops, Beam Translators etc. more attractive.

I'm thinking my house rule might be that the attacker makes a Pluck roll or is Knocked Down.

Barbed wire was generally supported by metal stakes, a perfect earthing tool.

Agreed, that's what I saw at Hill 62 near Ypres, I was thinking of big ceramic insulators sticking out of the posts as a clue to the attacking force that something hinky was happening  ....  ;)

Something to ponder over my Christmas dinner (or not),
Regards
Mark

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »
I'm thinking my house rule might be that the attacker makes a Pluck roll or is Knocked Down.

That seem sensible.