Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690596
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Six or seven or eight barbarians - what to do with them?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Six or seven or eight barbarians - what to do with them?
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
Last Friday I visited one of the very few gaming stores on the island to discover it's reducing the space devoted to modelling and get rid of all acrylics (which was why I went there in the first place - gah).
I bought on impulse an old (1997) blister of 4 'Machan's hunters', barbarian archers, all in metal and all identical and from the Fantasy Warriors Range, by an Italian company, Nemo Miniature - apparently Grenadier models made under license.
I had received a pair of free barbarians (spear and sword) with an order I made last year, and should have a plastic barbarian warrior from my old Talisman set - maybe two. Bringing the total to 6 metal, and maybe two plastic, if I locate them.

So: being unfamiliar with the genre, barring knowledge of the existence of Crom, which rules if any suit this very small collection of these gentlemen?

Thanks.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
Re: Six or seven or eight barbarians - what to do with them?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
I'm sure this would make a reasonable force for Song of Blades and Heroes.
John

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
The figures mentioned cost 36 points per sword / spear figure and 44 points for the archers and you are aiming for around the standard 300 points for a fairly good games of SoBH - a bit light on the metal side (though 1 figure will need to be the leader at 60 points) but fine if you can find the plastic ones - this will be a bit of a pain army to fight as they are fearless (no gruseome death effects during combat and terror does not effect them) plus they have a lot of ranged weapons!  Do not let the points put you off - I have played one game down at 200 points and that was fine for a quick fun one.

One other option could be Mordhiem (living rule book here)

If shipping in figures are a problem, see if you can pick up any 'clix' type figure or even monster as a one-off as mixed units are fun but if you can wait (who am I kidding) you may want a few more troop - have a look at these infantry and cavalry as they may match the figures you have but are great cost in any case.

EDIT:

Sorry - totally forgot the free CROM rules at Matakishi's Tea House or the full (pay for set) at the bottom of the page.  On the free game - follow the link in the 'cards' grey box to see the point values and DIY cards.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:03:02 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
SoBH
Mordheim
Crom
And possibly 7TV Myths and Monsters
Thanks - I had no idea SoBH could be used on this scale (I have to confess total unfamiliarity with this lauded set of rules).
Crom I will get (not expensive, and have heard good things about it), and I already have Mordheim (which I never thought of!) and 7TV Myths and Monsters.
So it seems I am comfortably well in this sense at least  :D

Andrew, thanks for the links - the barbarians on foot are most tempting, and I realised the archers I own are also part of this line - Archer Shooting; Helm
Ref: 0103; there's some grand models there.
I might actually have more stuff than I thought - my Foundry early germans fit well here too.
I now have to scout for opponents of course - undead are fine, as are snakemen; a few cult types would be handy...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
And I did buy Crom - and it looks like a good move.  8)

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
Two hour Wargame's Chain Reaction: Swordplay would work well, and it's free!