Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 508
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones (23-3 a Sept WIP and the Wall)  (Read 9826 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones (19/4 a Dothraki)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
Lord Odo! where are you? That was some pretty cool converting there. I hope you have not lost heart with your GoT project...
The Dothraki are a particularly troublesome bunch to model.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
Lord Odo! where are you? That was some pretty cool converting there. I hope you have not lost heart with your GoT project...
The Dothraki are a particularly troublesome bunch to model.

I'm here still hahaha. I didn't lose my heart at all. Just not found time to paint lately. I'm closely following all GoT projects at LAF (maybe you noticed, as I joined the discussion in your thread a few times last week). I have a lot stuf prepared, now I just need some time.

I don't continue with using GW Brettonians, as I decided to do like most people on here, using Perry and Fireforge. I've quite some mini's lined up, from quite some different houses and both infantry as cavalry. Some characters as well.

Oh and I decided I will focus mostly on Roberts Rebllion, instead of the War of the Five kings.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »
Yeah I kinda saw you were in there...
Since Robert's rebellion is somewhat earlier in the ASOIAF history you could still mix and match using Bretonnians just as well I would have thought. Barded horses can still be used to good effect as other LAFers have shown including your good self and GRRM makes much use of 'greathelms' with elaborate crests in his descriptions of the Lords. I think he has in mind a Hollywood version of medieval armour - which is usually a mishmash of historical periods and even sporting (i.e.jousting) armour interchangeable with war harness.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Yeah I kinda saw you were in there...
Since Robert's rebellion is somewhat earlier in the ASOIAF history you could still mix and match using Bretonnians just as well I would have thought. Barded horses can still be used to good effect as other LAFers have shown including your good self and GRRM makes much use of 'greathelms' with elaborate crests in his descriptions of the Lords. I think he has in mind a Hollywood version of medieval armour - which is usually a mishmash of historical periods and even sporting (i.e.jousting) armour interchangeable with war harness.

Yes. It's not about the armoury I chose different company, but the proportions. I will continue doing greathelms, mostly because it's fun to do anyways :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
I hear you! - one of the reasons my stash of 5/6th ed Bretonnians remains unused (that and the hassle of removing all that extra superflous detailing). There's greater compatability with Fireforge and the others than with super-sized GW. Mind you I might be lucky and find one suitable for the Mountain if I look hard enough!

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
... and GRRM makes much use of 'greathelms' with elaborate crests in his descriptions of the Lords. I think he has in mind a Hollywood version of medieval armour - which is usually a mishmash of historical periods and even sporting (i.e.jousting) armour interchangeable with war harness.

Which is one of the reasons I'm attracted to modelling GoT - I can mix and match across ranges and periods to my magpie heart's content!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
I hear you both. I realised too that it was as much the colourful heraldry as the ability to mix and match medieval armour types that appealed to me about modelling/gaming Westeros. I have a load of Bretonnians and C13 feudals in my LoTR Gondorian army but the painting proved so restrictive... while a limited palette can prove quite liberating creatively, there's only so much you can do with just black and white, or blue and white for that matter...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones: 23-3 Sept WIP
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
A little update.... to show something new  :D (I got more but that will be shown at a later date..)

First of all, Hammers started a thread about how he's going to build a sept, and so we got talking about Septs. Besides Hammers Sukhe has build a nice one, which we all have seen. I started building a sept last summer, didn't get really far yet, but still, I could show a WIP of course... :)

I chose to have the entrance at one of the points, so I'd still have a seven sided building. Above the entrance I'll build a little tower. I've also already thought of which of the seven gets which wall. From left to right, starting at the entrance, it will be: Stranger, Crone, Father, Mother, Smith, Warrior, Maiden.

I've decided my sept will look like a Norwegian Stave church, which probably has to do with the fact I was in Norway when I read the books.. This is the start at one of the outside walls.

That's it for now.. :)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »
You go, LordOdo!  I want to build one down stream after I have my Westerosi retinues painted and on the gaming table.

I'm partial to Sukhe's and hope to get pointers from him and others when I take that step.

(Have those very same Blacktree Hussites in my GoT resource box. One of their better lines.)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
Nice effect of the stain on the wood. Looks very realistic.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »

Have those very same Blacktree Hussites in my GoT resource box. One of their better lines.

Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for pointing out what mini's it are! I bought them from the bazaar on here as I figured they'd be nice for the Brotherhood without Banners. Didn't know what make they are until now. They scale up quite nicely with the Perry's so maybe I'll use some more. I didn't paint them, but the one with the sword. He is my Tristifer Botley. He isn't finally finished yet though.

Nice effect of the stain on the wood. Looks very realistic.

Thanks, that was my aim :D

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
I just realised most of you probably haven't seen The Wall I built for last years Build something contest here at LAF.

You can find the thread here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75260.msg919500#msg919500

But here are pics of it in it's current (pretty much finished) state:

I know there's no trees growing on the wall.. ;D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
LordOdo,
I love your solution to the Sept... I wish I had thought of the porch/lobby idea. It is something of an architectural 101 not to build an entrance on the angle or return of a wall, and one of the reasons there is not a single medieval stone example. However, by adding the porch you've added strength to the wall ends and provided points to brace archways to support the wall above the doorway. Awesome.  :-* :D I look forward to seeing it develop.
Don't forget weddings were held between 'the Father' and 'the Mother', so they should really be adjacent to one another ;)
I wish my workspace had such interesting 'clutter'. Mines all just stacks of boxes! I once did the math and figured that at true scale the wall would be 3m high by 30cm deep at the top. I figured it would have limited play potential and we'd have to game using stepladders with a 'ballboy' on hand to collect dropped dice!
I remembered a fantastic castle on a similar scale built by a group from the channel islands. It was a peninsular/promontory fortress not unlike the one used in The Vikings film (1958) with Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort-la-Latte
They'd spent months building the entire cliffs and rocky outcrop using expanded polysterene and shipped it over especially only to have to pull an all-nighter making repairs. HM customs had decided in their infinite wisdom to repeatedly stab it with skewers looking for drug caches! :o
Looking forward to seeing more of your work ;D

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
Don't forget weddings were held between 'the Father' and 'the Mother', so they should really be adjacent to one another ;)

I wish my workspace had such interesting 'clutter'. Mines all just stacks of boxes!

I once did the math and figured that at true scale the wall would be 3m high by 30cm deep at the top.

The father and mother are next to each other in my planning :)

The clutter looks nice, but it's horrible when you have to find something specific  lol

And yeah, I did the math too, but figured this would be tall enough hahah, and that tall didn't seeem to be any realistic at all in my opinion

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
You've gotta ask yourself what is realistic about a 1,000 foot high ice wall hundreds of mile long... :D
How's your collection coming along?