Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: English Staff Officer - what regiment and ...?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline ts

• Scientist
English Staff Officer - what regiment and ...?
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »

Can anyone help to identify or say something about this picture?
The text says: Officer of the Staff in ..... "Cafo"?
I suppose English Staff Officer ca 1807-1815, with facings black with gold.

Offline eptingmike

• Bookworm
Re: English Staff Officer - what regiment and ...?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Not sure the regiment as I believe there were a couple with black facings.  I believe the gold braid was more an indicator of rank.  The head gear makes me think he is likely pre-1812 as I believe many officers switched to the shako.  I would google 'british napoleonic regimental facings' and find which had black facings.  Then I would see if the Capo(?)referenced is geographic in nature(I assume it is).  My guess is that it is an officer in the Penninsula. 
As an aside, I am working totally from memory as all my references are unavailable so 'grain of salt' as they say!  :)

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
The title is "Officer of the Staff in Bajo"  Bajo in spanish is under, or beneath and as the facing of the jacket is black I would presume that the officer is in un-dress, as in he is wearing a non-uniform or dinner jacket.

Wiith the Bicorn and spanish wording, this would have been a painting from the Peninsular War and the blue finish on the numbner/horse blanket would suggest the Household Division but he is carrying an infantry sword so it would not be an Officer from a Cavalry Regiment, although it is slung in cavalry style.  The plume in the bicorn also denotes a Line Company.

To sum, a Household or Guards officer of a line company, from the Peninsular period, in a dinner jacket, riding casually.

Just a guess.
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:02 PM »
Very impressive answers, which narrow the search.
Bajo in Spain 1809-12.
What happende in Bajo?
Staff officer in undress.
The shabraque can be dark-blue, while the facings seems black, if that can help in any way.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
Noooo ... Damas said 'Bajo' means 'under'. I won't repeat the rest of what he said, because it's just there, but it's all good stuff. The fact that the officer is riding with his sword in its scabbard and carrying a riding crop also suggests he is not in action and is just out for a jaunt, which would certainly make it easier for the artist to sketch him.

So, if we assume Damas has followed the clues correctly (and I see no flaw in his reasoning) then we're looking for an infantry regiment with black facings, who served in the Peninsular - ie. 50th (West Kent) Regt or 58th (Rutland) Regt.

EDIT: After all that, it's just occurred to me that as a Staff Officer, I think he would have had blue facings (what looks black to us now in the painting) since they are not attached to individual regiments.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:55:21 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »
Thanks Cubs.  :D

If the facings are dark blue and the breast is black or very dark blue, then it will definately denote a dinner jacket from a royal regiment such as the various Guards.

If I recall correctly, Staff Officers would have a regiment they are nominally 'from', even if purchasing a commission directly into the Staff and so what better prestige than to be on the Staff from the First, Coldstream or 3rd Guards?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
His medal is almost certainly the Army Gold Medal issued only to staff and general officers from 1810, which further dates and identifies him.

The Peninsular War Medal was only issued in 1847.......  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »
Thank you very much for the many informed answers.
I am really impressed by the knowledge shown by all.