Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WWII french to WWI french  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
Re: WWII french to WWI french
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
I guess they are out of the question as they are US-based but Brigade Games also do a great range of late war French:

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/France_c_373.html

I think the first packs were done be Mike Owen, while Paul Hicks sculpted the later set. (IF I'm not mistaken.)

former user

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
are You talking about Brigade Games?
this is very interesting - some of them (WW1 french) look the same like renegade miniatures - I wonder who made these...

they really all should advertise the sculptor

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
I did look at brigade games, and noticed north star stock a tiny amount of their range, I was especially impressed by them having French St-Chamond tanks, which I would love to have one as its a gorgeous tank I think, I'll have to ask my shopkeep to see if they can get more in if needed, or at minimum at least a tank or two

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »
are You talking about Brigade Games?
this is very interesting - some of them (WW1 french) look the same like renegade miniatures - I wonder who made these...

they really all should advertise the sculptor

As far as I know (and I might be wrong) Mike Owen of Artizan Design fame sculpted the Renegade Great War miniatures and also quite some of the Brigade Games Great War miniatures and also of Brigade's Back of Beyond (Storm in the East) ranges. Although some of the Brigade Games miniatures for the Great War look very much like Paul Hicks' work to me (for example the French mortar crew and a lot of the Austrians).

I guess Lon Weiss could shed a light on this as he used to be active on here.

former user

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
I guess Lon Weiss could shed a light on this as he used to be active on here.

well he still is

anyway. You certainly know a lot more than I do
In my hands, I had Renegade and Artizan a lot, and what You say seems to fit because they are pretty much compatible. However, the range is so disparate by now that it clearly shows Mike Owen's skill development  :D  which is a charming thing.
If all this is true, I might call my collection "The Mike Owen Batallion"  :D

I wanted to order some Brigade Games, US or not, and on the pictures they look very much like Mike Owen handwriting.

Does Paul Hicks sculpt Woodbine WW1? because I have some of the SCW and they are really nice and also quite compatible, though I would place them between Artizan and Great War Miniatures

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Does Paul Hicks sculpt Woodbine WW1? because I have some of the SCW and they are really nice and also quite compatible, though I would place them between Artizan and Great War Miniatures

From what I know (and again I might be wrong), the Woodbine miniatures were sculpted by a gentleman going by the nickname of Soapy, who has also done a lot of the (older) dark age miniatures for Gripping Beast and the Boxer Rebellion miniatures for Jimbibbly.

former user

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
well, on pictures they look good and they are allegedely compatible with Great War miniatures, so fine with me.

I'll order soon enough

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 12:45:22 AM »
Here's a question for you: If someone was gaming interwar, specifically games starting in '34-'35 (though they could conceivably go to '39 I guess), what are the key dates for major French equipment changes? I think the biggest question is when did they go from the blue uniforms to green, but major rifle and LMG changes (when did they drop the Chauchat?), would be nice to know too. The Hotchkiss HMG at least would be constant all the way through, correct?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

former user

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
I guess I am meant to answer the questions?....

well, for starters, this is a lot of information that I would have to look up, cause I am not Wikipedia, I know only where to look stuff up... so take the following from out of my armpit like.... rough info.  ;)

for starters, the khaki uniform for all (green? I guess this is a misunderstanding, cause the typical mustard khaki can be regarded as a bit "greenish" in comparison to the classical indian khaki - if You mean the trial uniform from 1911 look up "verte reseda")
was theoretically introduced in 1921, but it does not mean that the huge amounts of horizon blue and american khaki stock were not used up until even 1940, as could happen in every army. As a rough estimate, let's assume that by 1930 (when the uniform cut of 1921 - loose fold down collar with shirt and tie visible underneath - was finally worn by all active units) only reservists and recruits would still wear horizon blue, maybe as fatigue or garrison dress. I guess the greenest You can get is some kind of olive green when the uniforms are freshly issued.
Next we have the introduction of the Fusil-mitrailleur Modèle 1924 M29 and the 7.5 mm ammo  in 1925, (leaving the nasty business with the similarity to the Mauser ammo aside) and the rebarelling of 8mm rifles starting with 1934.
The Hotchkiss mle 1914 was never phased out nor rebarreled to 7.5 mm, but the french used such a multitude of heavy and light and medium MG for different purposes, it's not so easy as with the germans. I am not really knowledgable enough to elaborate on that subject.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »
The segment of the discussion about WW2 war pictures featuring the French has been moved to a new, more fitting home.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63165.0

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
There's an extremely short segment in 'Twelve Monkeys' where Bruce Willis time-travels back to WW1 in a French trench (possibly with a wench stench).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

former user

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
The segment of the discussion about WW2 war pictures featuring the French has been moved to a new, more fitting home.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63165.0

merci Monsieur

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
@mrtn
I just checked out Your project, really cool stuff You have there
I am surprised to see lebels or MAS-36, which packs from Warlord are these ?
I've bought both the Defenders of France box as well as the infantry one. I think they have more variant sculpts than shown on the site.

former user

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
it's two different ones? wow!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
Thanks former user!