Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 11:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695434
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Miniatures Afgans  (Read 4158 times)

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
Empress Miniatures Afgans
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
I was able to pick up some Empress Miniatures Afgan tribesmen (which I plan to use for Northwest Frontier) at the York Wargames show last weeked and I am bowled over by the quality of these figures.

If anyone is on the fence about getting hold of some of these I can say that they were the easiest figures to clean that I have ever bought apart from Gringo40s. Mould lines and flash were almost nowhere to be seen.

So far they have also been a joy to paint thanks to the details being so well defined and so deeply cut into the figures.

For those colonial gamers interested in the NW Frontier, do have a look at these models as they are really superb. I hope Empress carry on their adventures on the frontier and expand the range in the future!

P.S. - If anyone knows if they will be doing this do let us know!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Empress Miniatures Afgans
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »
I was able to pick up some Empress Miniatures Afgan tribesmen (which I plan to use for Northwest Frontier) at the York Wargames show last weeked and I am bowled over by the quality of these figures.

If anyone is on the fence about getting hold of some of these I can say that they were the easiest figures to clean that I have ever bought apart from Gringo40s. Mould lines and flash were almost nowhere to be seen.

So far they have also been a joy to paint thanks to the details being so well defined and so deeply cut into the figures.

For those colonial gamers interested in the NW Frontier, do have a look at these models as they are really superb. I hope Empress carry on their adventures on the frontier and expand the range in the future!

Do you think it would it be possible to convert/replace their rifles with Muskets and Henry Martini's? This would be really the way forward for me as I'm mainly interested in the Second Afghan War.

What do you think?

Darrell.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:36:50 AM »
I believe they make sets that have the older breach loading rifles. To represent some of the poorer or less well equipped tribes men
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:42:28 AM »
I believe they make sets that have the older breach loading rifles. To represent some of the poorer or less well equipped tribes men

Thanks for that. I'll drop them a line and ask them which packs are useful.

Darrell.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »
I hope Empress carry on their adventures on the frontier and expand the range in the future!

Funny you should say that ...  ;)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »
Funny you should say that ...  ;)

Spill.... pretty please???

Darrell.

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
Atheling - if you have a look at the pictures on their website, you can see which packs have bolt action rifles and which have breech loaders

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Atheling - if you have a look at the pictures on their website, you can see which packs have bolt action rifles and which have breech loaders

I've looked but in some pics (particularly some of the mounted pics, it is hard to tell (at least for me  o_o).

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
I can't see much in that range that is suitable for 1879, unfortunately. Most have bolt-action rifles. There is one pack of Martini-armed men which is a possible, but I don't think many tribesmen would have had those during the Second Afghan War (though it is at least a possibility, through capture), and I think it's a bit early for Khyber Pass copies to be doing the rounds.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »
I can't see much in that range that is suitable for 1879, unfortunately. Most have bolt-action rifles. There is one pack of Martini-armed men which is a possible, but I don't think many tribesmen would have had those during the Second Afghan War (though it is at least a possibility, through capture), and I think it's a bit early for Khyber Pass copies to be doing the rounds.

Thanks Plynkes, that answers my question nicely. I'll just have to wait and see what Mike from Artizan  comes up with (through North Star).

Darrell.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
Yes we are developing this range. The first 16 Brits arrived at the moulders 25 minutes ago.

Yes we will develop this range to include vehicles, cavalry, Indian troops, etc, etc, etc

We have some great plans and now our modern Kickstarter is near completion we can give all of our other ranges a lot more TLC.  ;)  

However we should not hijack this thread so shhhhhhh
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:01:17 AM by Empress Miniatures »

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
First 16 Brits arrived at the moulders 25 minutes ago…

Looking forward to seeing what they look like! :D

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »
Wow, nice work Empress! Am very excited to see what appears...

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
@ Empress Miniatures
Please kidnap the thread and give us the details of the Brits.
Your Afghans are the best I've seen, Mr Hicks excelled himself when he produced those figures. They really look like tribesmen and you have provided plenty of variety , even persuading Mr Hicks to produce seperate heads on some packs. My favourite thing is the turbans. Unlike a  lot of figures around of turban wearer, Mr Hicks  has produced turbans that look as though they have been made from folded cloth, rather than looking like a blob of greenstuff that has had some random "creases" indented into it with a modeling tool.
So based on your Afghans my expectations of your Brits are very very high and I would love to be tantalised by some piccies of the greens.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Can't photograph the figure cos they are with the moulders.

Lets just say we think they are fantastic and one of the packs is very different and a bit of a surprise.  :o

But my lips are sealed until the official release in a few weeks.

At the moment we are still up to our necks in the completion of the Kickstarter.  ;)

Paul