Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Swedish Infantry 1980s  (Read 3965 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Swedish Infantry 1980s
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »
A call to our Swedish Bretheren... Oh and swedophiles too.

I've been musing on some exotic or perhaps different opposition for Cold War themed games set in the 1980s and it occurred to me that the Swedish Army of the era, with its unique mix of headwear, weaponry and hairstyles would make for a most attractive range of miniatures in 28mm.

Through this forum, I've also been quietly impressed with the resource and commitment of many of our Swedish members and their quite marvellous projects. The Very Swedish Civil War thing and the lovely figures being a case in point.

I was wondering if anyone else out there would entertain similar enthusiasm to see a range of figures in 28mm. Perhaps we could talk through the prospect of finding a sculptor and co or jointly commission a range?

Throwing it out there for comment. Anyone interested?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Swedish Infantry 1980s
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
I think someone may be working on them in 15mm scale.

Sorry, can't afford 28mm, sadly.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
Ah, no love for the Finns, I see  :?  ;)

Nevertheless, would be great to see Swedes in 28mm or in 20mm. If in 28mm then I think I would personally only be interested in an amount suitable for skirmish action, maybe two squads worth or such at tops.... plus support weapons and rear echelon elements and... :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
Actually I'd be quite as happy to see Finns and Norwegians as well. Valmet rifles and odd looking helmets, quite distinctive and the vehicles can be covered from Soviet ranges. Trouble is there seems little enthusiasm for Cold War era Scandinavians.

Kickstarter anyone?

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
If one goes the KS route, then I think it would be best to concentrate on the Swedes for starters and then expand the range from there if there's enough interest. What's the availebility of Swedish hardware in 28mm currently? Like you wrote, Finns had Soviet vehicles (some from Sweden, too) so in that case it would be easier to concentrate on the actual troops.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
Apart from the old 1/8 Aurora S-Tank model, I don't think anything of Swedish origin for the period exists. FoA do a Centurion and there are some diecasts out there but that's about it. Still for skirmish purposes, I'm not sure how much would be required.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Maybe an odd wheeled vehicle and a tracked troop carrier, such as Bv206 (would work for Finns as well, and India, Mexico and France, too), would be nice.

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
I could swear I saw a 1/48 S-tank kit on ebay a couple of years ago, but perhaps it was 1/35.

A unarmoured Bv of any type would be awfully nice - HLBS do the BvS-10, which I think can work adequately for the Bv-206S, but I'm not aware of any of the earlier versions being out there.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
A call to our Swedish Bretheren... Oh and swedophiles too.

I've been musing on some exotic or perhaps different opposition for Cold War themed games set in the 1980s and it occurred to me that the Swedish Army of the era, with its unique mix of headwear, weaponry and hairstyles would make for a most attractive range of miniatures in 28mm.

Through this forum, I've also been quietly impressed with the resource and commitment of many of our Swedish members and their quite marvellous projects. The Very Swedish Civil War thing and the lovely figures being a case in point.

I was wondering if anyone else out there would entertain similar enthusiasm to see a range of figures in 28mm. Perhaps we could talk through the prospect of finding a sculptor and co or jointly commission a range?

Throwing it out there for comment. Anyone interested?

Even when I muster all the patriotism I have I cannot see the fun in wargaming Swedes 1980. While there is not a complete dearth of scenarios (FN missions, Soviet intrusions, what if Cold War scenarios) I see little appeal in them.  I shall give it a try though, coming up with something. Initially what you need are soldiers wielding G3A3/AK4.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Oh come on surely there's appeal in an army largely armed with products from Husqvarna? (actually that gag probably doesn't work there as well as here, where Husqvarna are mostly known for sewing machines and by the odd motorbike aficionado. Very good sewing machines they are too, my wife has one.)

Anyway, my thoughts are that you'd want three or four poses with AK-4, one with a MAG GPMG, one with a Carl Gustav 84mm and one with a submachinegun. Maybe add a signaller. I will readily admit I was partly inspired by listening to The Stranglers but I think the potential combo of longish hair, the odd goatee beard and those marvellous combination tin helmet with peaked field cap and ear flap affairs would make these really interesting minis. As you say no shortage of potential uses and there's always the zombie/ alien crossover market.

I'm no expert in these things but I suspect one could get the whole show on the road for a couple of grand.

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
If they had separate heads the G3 and Carl Gustav figs at least would be handy as generic figs - tough to find either of those weapons on the market these days. With Mongrel pretty much ungettable, the only Charlie G I know of is with MoFo's Falkland Brits; and aside from a handful of assorted African irregular types, the only G3s that come to mind are Eureka's Portuguese.

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
with its unique mix of headwear, weaponry and hairstyles

I am a bit curious about the hairstyles :)

I did my military service in the Swedish artillery 1981-82 the most exciting was the Russian sub that stranded on the Swedish

Thanks for reminding me of The Stranglers "too much time to think too little to do" :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:37:58 PM by traveller »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
Well, if you need uniform images, this is what we looked like c:a 1986 (young Hammers, nuh-nuh-nu-nuh-nuh-nineteen years of age).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
Nice photo. So essentially what you are telling me is that the figures could do double service, representing neuro-pop bands like Spandau Ballet and A-Ha? Swap the fiflrs out for synthesizers and a drum machine? :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
Sort of. The Ksp m/45 is from Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori  (why it is also occasionally referred to as Karl Gustav) was still in common use back then, mostly for training and sentry duties. Note the impractical shell collector bag on the side. I think this submachine gun was exported to the US to be used in the Vietnam war . It was very dependable regardless the firing conditions and the 9mm low velocity pistol round were suitable for jungle warfare, apparently.

I don't do modern wargming but maybe some of the Naam minias is sculpted with this gun(?)