Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Later Teutonics  (Read 1952 times)

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
Later Teutonics
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of putting together a small group of Teutonic Knights/Men-At-Arms towards the end of their influence, the Polish/Lithuanian/Teutonic War, and didn't know if anyone had any ideas regarding dress. My google must be weak, I've kicked up nothing.Would they still be wearing the surcoats etc. a ala Fireforge, or would they appear more along the lines of the normal nobility/peasantry?
It's nothing, sir. Just a burn from a ray gun.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Later Teutonics
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of putting together a small group of Teutonic Knights/Men-At-Arms towards the end of their influence, the Polish/Lithuanian/Teutonic War, and didn't know if anyone had any ideas regarding dress. My google must be weak, I've kicked up nothing.Would they still be wearing the surcoats etc. a ala Fireforge, or would they appear more along the lines of the normal nobility/peasantry?

How Late? what do you mean by "dress"? I assume you mean armour and surcoats etc?

This is a good sight to start with for Tannenberg 1410:

http://www.g-rava.it/opere/testudo_tannenberg.htm

And this Osprey for post 1450:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Teutonic-Knight_9781846030758

The Osprey has some depictions of men in full late 15th C armours, not unlike those that many a knight would have worn in England during the Wars of the Roses.

Best bet is to pay a visit to the Royal Armouries in Leeds but the links and books should suffice.

Darrell.

Offline doowopapocalypse

• Scientist
    • Random Encounters
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
Ach, I thought I had included some dates, but I am aiming for 1410s, so Tannenberg will be dead on. Unfortunately, I think the Leeds trip is a bit much from the states but I'll have a poke round their website.  Thanks again.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »
Ach, I thought I had included some dates, but I am aiming for 1410s, so Tannenberg will be dead on. Unfortunately, I think the Leeds trip is a bit much from the states but I'll have a poke round their website.  Thanks again.

No problem, I could sometimes wax lyrical about Late Medieval warfare all day  :). If I were you I would order the Osprey, also if you can read German it would be worth looking up, Tannenberg 1410, Die Belagerung der Marienburg 1410, Garald Iselt, Rolf Fuhrmann, which, like an Osprey has many illustrations (more in this case) and I've found to be the best visual aid thus far.

Darrell.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
This site;
https://www.facebook.com/Teutonicorder/photos_stream
has amongst the Membership/ceremonial pics , a lot of decent colourplates and re-enactment photos.
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:53:06 AM »
This site;
https://www.facebook.com/Teutonicorder/photos_stream
has amongst the Membership/ceremonial pics , a lot of decent colourplates and re-enactment photos.

A good source. Glad to see that the Teutonic Order only do charity work these days!  :)

Darrell.