Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Opposition for Kolony Militia  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
Opposition for Kolony Militia
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:59 PM »
I have just ordered a small set of the Pig Iron Kolony militia figures, mostly because I have always wanted to have a go at painting them  :)

No real idea in mind, other than some kind of nasty winter war, Stalingrad inspired, attrition fest in space. No rules picked, no nothing really, but If I'm to paint more, they will eventually need an enemy at the gate. The problem is, who/what, to use as an opposition force?   I'm looking at figures , the actual figures/castings, not the back story that goes with them...

Tau...bit high tech, could work I suppose
Kroot... ? would be a bit under dressed for the winter
Ramshackle.... I like em....
Space marines...nah...
Imperial Guard.....ummmm, too like the Militia maybe...
Warzone plastics... I have some, but I'm not feeling it....
Copplestone...like them a lot, but again a bit too close to Kolony troops maybe...
??...
??...

Who do I need to look at, what are you using if you have a similar idea on the go?

I'm planning on having, gangs of scavengers as a third force at some point as well.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: Opposition for Kolony Militia
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Sounds very similar to the project I am working on.

I have been using the old plastic Bauhaus Warzone troopers with Pig Iron Kolony heads.

For the direct opposition I have currently gone with the EM4/Copplestone sci fi troopers mainly due to cost and number of different sculpts if you use both EM4 and Copplestone.

However I have also gone for some resistance fighters who could be used to fight with or against either sides. For these I have used a mixture of Copplestone rebel looking types and Statuesque miniatures with a few others thrown into the mix for flavour.

I have a few of the troopers from the Sedition Wars set which I plan to use as higher tech troop types for the Copplestone sci fi troops who will be the grunts.

On top of that I have gangs - Heresy Greatcoats to act as a sort of mafia/influencial cartel type group and a host of other gangs to represent towns/cities falling into lawlessness during or in the aftermath of war.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »
We've got our federal army models.

http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/28mmscifi.html
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »
Cygnar from Warmachine have a few interesting minis, as in the "Trenchers" type of trooper.

I've used the 'Trencher' types, but painted in more grungy livery--thinking WWI Passchendaele.

You can also choose Trencher 'Commandos', 'Gun-team', 'Chain-gunners', 'Scouts', 'Rifle-Grenadier', 'Grunts', and some characterful command types.

Maybe some of the Khador would work too, sorta neo-Soviet, atavistic-Soviet, quasi-Soviet, whatever flavor you like.

Good wishes!
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »
Kryomek Nexus forces have some units that might fit the bill :
Cyclos in  environmental battle suits, SWAT's or the predator marines.
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_218_3_112_116
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »
Many thanks chaps,

Some options there I would never have even known about. If you think of any others, please pipe up, as there is no time limit on this, there is no rush to buy stuff just yet.

Steve, Snow troopers are on my list anyway for SSS  ;)
Mr Khurasan, those figures are very nice, I saw them for the first time on a thread just recently and liked them. Any chance of greatcoat clad 15mm sci-fi figures from you in the future?
The LAF figures and the 4A miniatures have been on my list of wants for a while...hummm

mcfonz, have you got any pictures of the figures you are using, I do like a bit of inspiration when I can get it  :D

TTFN

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
Pig Iron ferals are pretty good. Fit with GW Necromunda scavvies and the plastic GW cultists from Dark Vengeance nicely especially with some mix and match on the heads.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »

Mr Khurasan, those figures are very nice, I saw them for the first time on a thread just recently and liked them. Any chance of greatcoat clad 15mm sci-fi figures from you in the future?

No immediate plans (well, I have to not make something) but there are some coming up for a 28mm dystopian near-future line I may kickstart -- the Siberian Independent Front Rifles (SIFR) who wear greatcoats, use AK74s and RPKs, and wear masks to minimise inhalation issues.  :-)

There are humanoid aliens for the line as well, the Frott, who landed on a planet weakened by climate change and the great social disruptions that caused, and proceeded to take over most of the earth, except places with more extreme climates -- like northern Siberia.  The Frott are religious and have a caste of warrior priests who are their elite soldiers.  They have a tracked vehicle that can either mount a cherry-picker energy weapon as a tank cognate, or a personnel compartment to serve as a troop carrier.  I may end up kickstarting this dystopian 28mm range.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:50:58 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
There are humanoid aliens for the line as well, the Frott, who landed on a planet weakened by climate change and the great social disruptions that caused, and proceeded to take over most of the earth, except places with more extreme climates -- like northern Siberia.

I really would advise googling that name especially without the double t before you publish anything.  :o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:59:04 PM by Wachaza »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
I might have a few that would do as opposition  :D

Check out the link in my signature, and PM me if you are interested in anything.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
No immediate plans (well, I have to not make something) but there are some coming up for a 28mm dystopian near-future line I may kickstart -- the Siberian Independent Front Rifles (SIFR) who wear greatcoats, use AK74s and RPKs, and wear masks to minimise inhalation issues.  :-)

There are humanoid aliens for the line as well, the Frott, who landed on a planet weakened by climate change and the great social disruptions that caused, and proceeded to take over most of the earth, except places with more extreme climates -- like northern Siberia.  The Frott are religious and have a caste of warrior priests who are their elite soldiers.  They have a tracked vehicle that can either mount a cherry-picker energy weapon as a tank cognate, or a personnel compartment to serve as a troop carrier.  I may end up kickstarting this dystopian 28mm range.
Me likey :)

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
I really would advise googling that name especially without the double t before you publish anything.  :o

LOL!  Perhaps a name change is in order.  Glad you know about such things, Wachaza.   ;)

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
I was kind of thinking something similar for the Tau figures I mentioned, a humanoid alien race, marooned on a toxic human planet. Small in number and without resupply, having to "mend and make do" with failing equipment and limited resources. Ok, not quite the same thing, but I can just see a bunch of raggedy Tau tiptoeing down the alley of an industrial complex with hardly a power pack between them.

The SIFR sound right up my street.  :)