Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Prince August Project (Update 12/10)  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
My Prince August Project (Update 12/10)
« on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
I am new to this forum, and I thought that the best way to introduce myself is by showing one of the (too many) projects on my desk!

A couple of months ago I was cleaning out boxes of my old stuff from my parents house when I found my old Prince August moulds and casting equipment. My introduction to miniatures was when me and my brothers got a casting kit for christmas sometime in the early 90's. First we only had 40mm semi flat Karoliner moulds.

But it was when I discovered fantasy in general through Drakar och Demoner and the Lord of the Rings I got really hooked, these new imaginary worlds in combination with the local toy shops rather good selection of fantasy moulds was the combination that got me in to the hobby.

Since I found some of my old moulds I decided that it would be a nice project to cast and paint all the figures i remember from my childhood, at least one set of each. What I will do with them I don't know, maybe just put them in a cabinet, maybe play some skirmish games. Time will tell.

The first set I cast and painted are these, mould NO 689, Skeleton Knights.

These were rather easy both to cast and to paint. The sculpts are nice in a nostalgic way. Looking at the base it seems like this mould was released in '93.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:05:42 PM by Jorny »

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Re: My Prince August Project
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »
Brings back memories of the moulds I had. Nothing was ever painted up as nicely as those back in the day! Really great stuff. The green and red works very well  :)

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
Blackstone:
Thanks! I found that you have to use rather strong highlights since the details are somewhat soft. It is fun to paint them with the skills and equipment I have now. I probably used Humbrol Enamels back in the day. ::)

Here are two orcs from the Orc Stormtrooper mould. PA684. I have the third cast as well, but I haven't painted it yet.

These are older sculpts, '86 if you would believe the stamp under the base. The details are somewhat softer on these ones. Not as easy to paint and cast as the skeletons either. If you look closely on the orc with the halberd you can see that one of the arms is significantly longer than the other.  They have charachter though and I still like them, but nostalgia certainly plays it part here. ;)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
I probably used Humbrol Enamels back in the day. ::)

I definitely did :)

I visited the PA factory with a gaming buddy a fortnight ago: its about an hour from where I live.  They had versions of the very first miniatures that we had ever painted on display.  The temptation to get a set of what I had then painted up is currently very high.

These are older sculpts, '86 if you would believe the stamp under the base.

I remember that mould.  That was around the era that I was casting and painting PA stuff.

You did a nice job on these, the palette on the undead is particularly nice.  And welcome to the forum too :)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:47:44 PM by cheetor »

Offline theottovonbismark

• Librarian
  • theottovonbismark.wordpress.com
    • TheOttoVonBismark
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Cool stuff!  Those skeletons are quite nice models, it's a shame the scale is 25mm and not 28mm or they would have seen a lot more action.  I appreciate that they are difficult models to paint as the detail is soft.  You have done a great job on them. 
You would definitely get a kick out of visiting the PA factory!
Otto

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
WELCOME ABOARD! Your introduction is SPLENDID. The Lads may be old & no longer state-of-the art pieces, but they painted up BEAUTIFULLY with an undeniable charm all their own. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
I have a load of their moulds and have never been able to get the painted figures to look as good as that. Well done :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
Cracking stuff! I've always been interested in these, even had a couple of moulds, just never got anything cast. Really nice painting on the skeletons though.
Duncan

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:17 AM »
Boy those undead skelly fellas are just awesome.  Gorgeous paintwork on some figures with real charm!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Gah, just what I needed after discussing the potential of a PA project with Cheetor! :D

Nice job, looking forward to see more! How many molds do you have? I'm hoping for some of the ones I used to have (troll + goblins, hobgoblins and one w attacking orcs among others).
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
This takes me back! I have a box with four or five moulds in it somewhere. Happy days inhaling toxic fumes and escaping nasty burns while trying not to let the metal cool too much before pouring.... :D

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
Very nice :)

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
What do you use to melt the metal?

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

I used to use an old pan on the electric cooker...they a gas ring once my ears had stopped ringing... :D

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
Nice job, looking forward to see more! How many molds do you have? I'm hoping for some of the ones I used to have (troll + goblins, hobgoblins and one w attacking orcs among others).

I have the Silvan elves mould and a foot knights mould. I should have a goblin and another orc mould I think. When I look at the Prince August web shop and recognize a mould it is a bit hazy if it really was my mould or one I borrowed from a friend some time. We were a couple of boys at my school who where in to casting.

Prince August ladle on my kitchen stove! I use the lead free metal from Prince August.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:16:04 PM by Jorny »