Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In the streets of Rome  (Read 108830 times)

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
Re: In the streets of Rome
« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »
Nice work

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #406 on: April 29, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
thank you gostgost.

here it is a little display test for most of my buidlings. Without all the add-ons like slaves market, market's place with all the stands, chariots, etc.....

Just to see how far i have to go in the scratchbuilding of houses etc.....to get a good playing area

test 1

test 2

i think, i have to add a more buildings to create some back alleys 

Cheers
Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #407 on: April 29, 2018, 05:21:05 PM »
Very well done Eric. :-* :-*
Thats a lot of buildings you have there. :o

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #408 on: April 30, 2018, 05:19:46 AM »
Thank you Rui,

Yes, a lot of building and..... cheap ones too  :D

In my opinion, i think it's too empty  lol lol

I have few houses to add and i ll try to fill the gaps. ;)

Eric

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #409 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:23 AM »
You could probably add wall sections quite quickly to create the alleys and break up the open spaces. Quick and cheap, whats not to like ;)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
You could probably add wall sections quite quickly to create the alleys and break up the open spaces. Quick and cheap, whats not to like ;)

Could be a good alternative  ;).

Walls and one or two arched passageway between down town (suburia like) and the city.... :D

like this :

or that

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »
There's definitely nothing wrong with adding more buildings to the table,and your collection. The more you have the more variation in the layout.

But at the moment I think your doing yourself a disservice . You've made some nice buildings .As you mentioned you've not added your set dressing(slave market,market stalls ,and chariots) So the spaces are going to look massive. Plus the more you add the less room for Sausage fingers to push figures around.

I'd recommend a couple more tests with the dressing pieces added. As a market stall that close,but not pushed against a wall,makes an alley (of sorts)

Are you set on having the temple central? As there's a couple of quick ideas that would change the flow of the layout.

Have you thought about a couple of walled gardens,courtyards ,and or compounds.Or separate porticos and  colonnades. that can be placed against existing builds? They'd be fast additions to build and versitle.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
There's definitely nothing wrong with adding more buildings to the table,and your collection. The more you have the more variation in the layout.

But at the moment I think your doing yourself a disservice . You've made some nice buildings .As you mentioned you've not added your set dressing(slave market,market stalls ,and chariots) So the spaces are going to look massive. Plus the more you add the less room for Sausage fingers to push figures around.

I'd recommend a couple more tests with the dressing pieces added. As a market stall that close,but not pushed against a wall,makes an alley (of sorts)

Are you set on having the temple central? As there's a couple of quick ideas that would change the flow of the layout.

Have you thought about a couple of walled gardens,courtyards ,and or compounds.Or separate porticos and  colonnades. that can be placed against existing builds? They'd be fast additions to build and versitle.

thank you for your advice.

i'm just at the start of the layout and have a few buildings to add...

May be the market place could fill the gap by itself.
i'm not limited in gaming area but i don't want to get one to large, for gaming purpose  ;)

and you are right for the "sausage fingers"  lol lol lol lol lol

Cheers
Eric

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #413 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
They all look great. By all means add more if you want to add variety, but if not I think you’ve got plenty. You need open spaces after all to get in and move the figures about.
You could always leave a large open plaza in the middle for a big showdown, meaning the buildings will be more squeezed in around the edges leaving the narrower back alleys for assassins and thugs to lurk and ambush from

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #414 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »
Eric,

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Why have only one large square?

Why not hide the square footage around the board.
Reduce the big open space and have one or two additional smaller squares each with one of the statues from in front of the temple (will help make each open space feel smaller).

Why do all the buildings need to sit on the same XY axis? Not every street needs to be orientated on a grid.
Remember your Chelmsford 123 .'straight is great ' but 'bendy is trendy',or 'curvy is pervy' if it doesn't work for you. ;)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #415 on: April 30, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »
Tin Shed Gamer - if the area is meant to be that near the Forum, than the buildings will sit on the XY axis.  You can get "bendy" in other neighborhoods.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #416 on: April 30, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
The forum in Rome is a complex series of builds and isn't without curved streets and buildings both with in the complex and around it.
Not all forums were strictly squared . The one in the picture is in Jordan.

Eric,
I've included a few pictures for an added sense of congestion ,and there's a picture of a smaller market away from a forum. These turn up all over the place small towns ,the poorer suburbs in cities.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:02:18 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
thank you all for your ideas...

As i'm not trying to build a true roman city, or even Rome... i'll keep my project to a moderate size   ;)
to give a good playing area.

The most important at the moment is to "break" the corridor effect of the streets with some walls...and gates   ;)

and all depend too about the different scenarios to play with  ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »
I'd say your on target.

The point I was quite spectacularly failing to make whilst racing a dying phone battery. Was simply trying to show two things . Streets look massive without people,and shrink once they're in it.
Also there's no issue with a gridded settlement,or indeed on which has organically evolved through constant habitation. As both are present with in a Roman context.In short what ever you do will be a Roman settlement.

I think your choice of arches is the right way to go.

It dawned on me once I sae your artists impressions of street life. Why your roads look so wide . Foot paths . You've none by raising your buildings on plinths you'll get foot paths and sunken roads. This will make the spaces appear smaller.
The plinths don't need to be attached to buildings nor do they need to be for just one building. Then having arches cut through the footpaths will help create bottle necks and Choke points.ideal for gaming.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator