Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:30:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aztec army DBA?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Aztec army DBA?
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
I want to put together a (double-size) DBA army using TAG's Aztec figures.
I choose my armies for how pretty they look.
What do all the different designations mean, ex - Coyote suit, Jaguar suit etc
And how do I turn all these different named figures into DBA style units?

Lowtar? :D
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Re: Aztec army DBA?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
Well, I don't have my DBA book to hand, so I might be off here somewhat, but I think the Aztec list is this (thank-you Google):

3x 4Bd or 3Ax
3x 4Bw or 3Ax
3x 3Ax
3x 2Ps

The various suit-wearers (Eagle & Jaguar being the most famous ones - I always think the Coyote suit-wearers are more Tlaxcallan than Aztec and ignore them accordingly) were military orders formed from veterans and successful warriors. The Quachicqueh were shaven-headed shock troops, and the Otomitl were another order that may have been a mercenary/allied unit from amongst or simply named after the Otomi people. Regardless of the source, I'd probably use them as the Bd elements. Especially if you're doubling up on unit sizes, you should be able to have a bit of variation and depict a few different orders.

The Ax elements are simpler - these would be the Tequihuaqueh units, essentially commoners (unlike the nobles of the suit-wearer orders).

I'd say that Ps would be Tequihuaqueh slingers.

Bw is a bit tricky as TAG doesn't do any archers (in fact, I don't think they even have any atlatl users, although that doesn't really suit a Bw unit), but you could always switch in some of their Tlaxcallan archers as mercenaries. The Aztecs did employ Chichimec mercenaries, who were feared as archers.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
well that's just blinkin' fantasic :)
thanks for that, pretty much answers everything I needed to know. :D

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
No worries. I was mistaken, however - TAG do have a pack of Aztec Tequihuaqueh with bow. I somehow overlooked them. So no need to dip into the Tlaxcallans.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

:-*
Wow, your painting style and eye for colours on the TAG figures will make this an impressive sight.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
thanks robh, actually double base size (8cm) as I also play Impetus 28mm but use the 15mm basing.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:20 AM »
I've got a gigantic pile of unpainted Foundry Aztecs, if you feel like having a bit of practice before starting your own! ::)

(Not to mention quite a few TAGs to spare, and Eureka too!) ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »
I choose my armies for how pretty they look.
What do all the different designations mean, ex - Coyote suit, Jaguar suit etc
And how do I turn all these different named figures into DBA style units?

Lowtar? :D

Just saw this Shaun, I have never played BDA

If building an army I would tend to go for break down into units (there are lots of variations depending upon rules, which books to read etc. However for simplicity

Jaguar and Eagle Warriors. oTOMI - These are elite warrior types think Hearthguard.

Add to these Quachic warriors, to grasp that nettle you are looking at berserkers

The remainder are warriors fo differening ranks, you can put suit types into these, not all have to be merely in bare skin or with only padded armour.

You can also add in a Priest warrior unit which would have their own suit types from all of the other types, coyote often fit in here too.

For me the rules are a little too restricive to give you a good feel for the army or allow you to filed all the colourful warrior types.

here is an example of a 15mm army for DBM
http://fanaticus.org/DBA/armiesofthefanatici/ScottKirby/Aztec/index.html

cHRONOFUS HAS A CRACKING FREE PDF WHICH IS A MUST FOR PAINTING AND GETTING A BETTER FEEL FOR THE ARMY, i WOULD ALSO LOOK AT THE hEATH BOOK ON THE SUBJECT AND THE VARIOUS oSPREYS THOUGH SOME OF pOHLS WORK IS A BIT DODGY.
http://www.chronofus.net/wargames/aztecs/AztecShields.pdf

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

The link Shaun easier to see as my PC went a bit funny in last post.

http://www.chronofus.net/wargames/aztecs/AztecShields.pdf

Plus eye candy for you from Neil Burt and when I threw my chaps in on his game etc

https://plus.google.com/photos/111698471319375386370/albums/5058590463576029841?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/111698471319375386370

For me I would have separate elite untis of the 3 houses Jaguar/Eagle and Otomi, however you can within your normal warrior formations use all manner of suit warriors. In simple terms they fought in local units form each city/distrcit so you could have all levels within the same unit lead by for example an eagle warrior. I dtend to think of it as a saxon shield wall with Huscarls at the front (your suit warriors) Thegns mid rank (more experienced warriors- lesser capture suits) and your Fyrd - as the novices and commoners.  Its more complex than that but for a good look that was and would be the way I would go.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:24:43 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
thanks Karl, that's fantastic stuff :D
That pdf alone is stunning ;)

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
Looking foward to seeing your army when finished. :)

That PDF is mind blowing 8)

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
Red, please do post pics when you are finished!  As my wife is interested in Central American art and mythology, the combo of beautiful miniatures and DBA simplicity might be my path to hook her into more tabletop gaming!

And another huge thank you for the PDF link    8)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
CDM the author of the pdf frequents LAF form time to time between him and the knowledge of Bowman there is a wealth of info. When Neil Burt and I were building armies for a salute game and later for a set of rules, together with helping Bowman with his WAB army lists (which are cracking too Red :D) the information from primary sources these chaps had collected was astounding, the e-mails felt at times I was party to an Open University course...hihgly enlightening I only wish I had kept them but they died with my old PC :?

I think Bowman has gone on and produced other lists for Hail Ceasar and Saga (whihc may float your boat as another option for a DBA army)

Here is a link to the WAB lists form way back in 2008 ;D

http://wabforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3116&hilit=aztec

Saga Aztecs
http://daleswargames.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/updated-aztec-battleboard-for-saga.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:19:01 AM by Lowtardog »

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:43 AM »
The Quachicqueh were shaven-headed shock troops, and the Otomitl were another order that may have been a mercenary/allied unit from amongst or simply named after the Otomi people.

Bw is a bit tricky as TAG doesn't do any archers (in fact, I don't think they even have any atlatl users

Not exactly. One shouldn't conflate the Aztec rank of Otomitl and the Nahuatl speaking Otomi people. The Otomi were a loose group of tribes, some of which were allies of the Aztecs, some were their enemies and some were both.

TAG does in fact make Aztec archers. However, I'd prefer ones that are not wearing the cotton armour vests. I specifically ordered unarmoured troops to represent my bow armed Macehualtin troops. I'm not sure if atl-atls come with the blister packs, but you can buy atl-atls from TAG in their "equipment" section, along with bows, maquahuitls and war clubs.

Atl-atl use was usually reserved for the higher ranks of warriors.

As for DBA, I'm afraid I can't be of any help :-X
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:15:30 AM by Bowman »
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »
Only just caught this thread.  Some years ago our club did a campaign with Aztecs & Conquistors. We used 'Hordes of the things' (fantasy DBA) rules with some house modifications. HoTT has some very good ideas, our favorit for the Aztecs is the 'Horde' base. When this base is 'killed' it can be brought back on as a 2nd, 3rd etc wave. This represents the large numbers of an Aztec army without having to paint up thousands of very detailed uniformed figures. As the Aztecs frequently tried to not kill, but capture, opponents (for sacrifice later) we introduced a rule. When a Conquistador base was 'killed' we diced on a small chart, which had different possible results. The base could be 'killed' but another possible result was 'a capture had been made' . The base remained on the table but the Aztecs got a victory point. To add a bit of colour to the game these points were recorded on table. We made a skull rack, which stood next to the Aztec temple (basecamp) The Skull rack was made to be a working abbacus (plastic skulls drilled through and put onto thin wire). We long ago finished our campaign & after a few years just sitting on the shelf, the entire lot (Spanish, Aztecs, Tlascalans, Skull racks, small temples & one really BIG temple) were sold to someone in, I believe, San Francisco. While still with the club they did even make it into Wargames Illustrated.