Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Washer advice sought.  (Read 7783 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Washer advice sought.
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
I need a good and reliable source for steel washers for basing.

It must be situated on mainland Europe, Scandinavia, or alternatively on the British Isles (Jersey and Guernsey NOT included), and deliver via mail.

Here in DK, I can not get 25 mm, and 20 mm washers (outer diameter, not hole diameter), but 18 mm and 24 mm instead. 30, 50, and 60 mm are readily available, too.

While those sizes are fine for many minis, sometimes 18 mm is just a tiny bit too small, and 24 mm way too large - and somtimes I find 24 mm just a bit too small, too.

It would be nice to be able to get 15, 20, 25, 35, and 40 mm washers (but at least 20 and 25 mm).

Can anyone please point me a bit in the right direction, here?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Washer advice sought.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
When I get back I'll check mine. I am pretty sure they are exactly 25mm and made in Sweden.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
Not washers but I recently started using british pennies instead of washers to base my figures. Not all pennies are magnetic though.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »
Try Toolstation (www.toolstation.com)
25mm (nominal) washers, with varying size centre holes, 31p per pack of 10. The ones you probably want (largish diameter, small centre hole) are called (ironically) "penny washers" or "repair washers" over here.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
I have bought washers from Squires and also from UK Amazon

Squires have their catalogue online as a series of PDFs. The washers are in this one, page 362

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
Not washers but I recently started using british pennies instead of washers to base my figures. Not all pennies are magnetic though.

If it's 20yrs old or newer, it's magnetic. If you can get hold of bags of UK pennies (would a foreign bank or bureau de change bother with such small denomination coins?), it's a great option. The 1p coin is about 20mm diameter and the 2p coin about 25mm and as you can tell, they're damn cheap!

Funny enough, I was playing with the pennies with my daughter today and she loves emptying out the piggy bank to play shops. As I looked at them I wondered if it was worth foreign visitors trying to get hold of bags of pennies and tuppences (£1 worth from any bank) who come over visiting the shows. People outside the UK are always trying to get hold of alternatives.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »
Thanks, I'll look at the options.  :)

I strained my ankle a couple of days ago (stepping on a log while cutting up felled trees cannot be recommended), so I'm not a whole lot online these days (sitting with the foot elevated is not helping when using a laptop, and especially not when wanting to use an actual mouse  :-[ ).

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
Washers are usually rated for hole size, not outer diameter, that's the problem. Most users are more interested in what size bolt fits through...

I use 8mm body washers -- depending on manufacturer they have an outer diameter of 24mm or 25mm. It does make a difference in some cases but I've learned not to care... and this works especially well for me since 8mm magnets are easy to come by (they are used to extend AA batteries) and fit the hole perfectly.

A friend of mine sells pretty good washers at our club. They have exact dimenstions and are avalable in multiple sizes. I think they are from Würth. Check if you can find their local reseller.

(Oh the difference... on a 120mm base you can rank up 5 models on 24mm bases but only 4 on 25mm ones... and because 120mm is a handy multiple of both DBx standard 60mm and WH-standard 20mm, you tend to see that pretty often in large-base rules)

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
OK, thanks - the washers sold here in DK are marked on the package for both hole diameter, outer diameter, and thickness.

I prefer as small holes as possible (but most often, the integtal base covers most, anyway), as I don't glue magnets to my minis anymore - instead of storing them in stuff that magnets stick to, I put adhesive magnetic sheets in boxes and store them there, thus I need metal bases that are attracted to magnets.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:15:48 AM by Argonor »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
source mine on ebay - £4 for 50 - free postage

yes I know coins are cheaper.. ;)

these are 25mm

The hole in the middle is usually reported as an m number - the smallest is M4 (stands for 4mm)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Marine-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Penny-Mudguard-Repair-Washers-/181230121280?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=480278482633&hash=item2a32283140

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
My decision was made for em when I went down to the local hardware store and found individual washers started at 25 cents and up, plus tax. So until my bases sizes are bigger than a quarter, loose change is far cheaper or at least competitive.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:35:51 AM »
Mila and I decided to drop to 20mm bases this year -- just to make it easier to fit minis in buildings, vehicles and such. She felt so strongly about it that she volunteered to rebase all our minis.

20mm is penny size and its hard to beat that price and quality.

If you are going for 25mm washers, just be careful because some brands are definitely to be avoided -- warped, jagged, lumpy. When we do get washers, we visit the local DIY store so I can hand select the good ones.

GOOD LUCK

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
Pennies have been great, but for figures with wide stances, sometimes I need a nickel. But that seems to work for 90% of regular minis. I've only got a couple that needed/will need a quarter or large washer.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 10:16:35 AM »
I don't think any of our coins have magnetic properties.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
I don't think any of our coins have magnetic properties.

That is largely by design. People who do coin-operated machines don't want them to be susceptible to manipulation with magnets...