Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What 15mm low level monsters would you like to see for RPGs?

Kobolds
9 (17.3%)
Hobgoblins
7 (13.5%)
Gnolls
5 (9.6%)
Bullywugs
3 (5.8%)
Ratmen
7 (13.5%)
Evil men
5 (9.6%)
Dark elves
2 (3.8%)
Ghouls
2 (3.8%)
Sahuagin
3 (5.8%)
Bugbear
3 (5.8%)
Goblins
6 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: March 04, 2014, 07:16:45 PM

Author Topic: What 15mm low level monsters would you like to see for RPGs?  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
What 15mm low level monsters would you like to see for RPGs?
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Guys, am considering doing some low level humanoid monster types for 15mm fantasy, as my son is getting into D&D and wants to use my minis to game, but so far I only have orcs, salamander men and a few other things here and there (zombies etc).

I've got the above, and as you may have seen a lizardman set going, but what other relatively low level humanoid monsters or similar would you like to see made?
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: What 15mm low level monsters would you like to see for RPGs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
Goblins and their ilk seem rather classic for this sort of thing, so I'd go for them.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
Hobgoblins! The D&D kind!

Offline Emphatz

• Bookworm
    • My Miniatures Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
I was hoping to see some skeleton warriors on that list as low level warriors  :-[, anyways I voted for Kobolds instead, thanks Mr khurasan.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »
There is a need for evil chaos style warriors in 15mm, that or I just really want some...
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
Kobolds. Ain't nothing lower!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »
Basically, in OD&D, AD&D, etc.,  "low level" monsters means lesser numbers of hit dice for damage or lower powers of "magic" - innate or spells...

Basically anything "First Level" would be easier to kill or overcome by magic/chicanery/intimidation in small numbers.

I would think Kobolds, Goblins, pack carnivores such as dogs/wolves, large  insects, normal animals (rats to mountain lions,) skeletons, zombies, other human parties, bandits, etc.

My White Box OD&D book #3 - spelling as in book - suggests Dungeon monsters roaming level "x" might be:

Level 1 - Kobolds, Goblins, Skeletons, Orcs, Giant Rats, Centipedes, Bandits, Spiders;

Level 2 - Hobgoblins, Zombies,Lizards,Warriors, Conjurers, Gnolls, Ghouls, Toads, Berserkers, Theurgistists;

Level 3 - Wights, Heros, Giant Hogs, Giant Ants, Ochre Jelly, Thaumaturgists, Swashbucklers, Magicians, Giant Snakes, Giant Weasles...

Lots of vagueness there but a trend shows.

http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/8502

Has a list of monsters by "hit dice" -yes it that is simplistic but it is a start.

Here is a sample of what seems to me like good "First Adventures" Monsters from tht listing:

Less than 1 HD
Archaeopteryx
Bat, Normal
Bee, Giant
Centipede, Giant, Black
Centipede, Giant, Pink
Falcon
Rat, Normal
Rat, Giant
Skeleton, Animal, Small
Snake, Viper

1 HD
Bird-Man
Deer, Red
Dog, Hunting
Dog, Wild
Man, Bandit
Oon
Orc
Skeleton
Skeleton, Animal, Medium
Snake, Cobra
Stirge

1+ HD
Ape-Man
Beetle, Giant, Fire
Cave-Man
Ferret, Giant
Man, Wild Berserker
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:53:09 AM »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
What i find funny is that Khurasan thinks he isnt gonna do the whole list above any way. :-)

Grimm

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »
The D&D stuff smacked of grabbing as many types of  "monsters" as can be found, tweaking them (alignment, appearances, hit dice,) and slapping the players in a dungeon/wilderness medieval wild west shoot-em-up/hack-em-up game.

In a real world setting animals/humans/creatures in general fill niches and possibly compete for resources.  In a RPG there should be some sort of thought for what you build into the game. 

In a RPG dungeon setting are the "monsters" indigenous to the dungeons, living there by choice because the terrain they really want is in control of a hostile/powerful group, hiding out while looking to find a better living situation, etc., but instead most dungeon crawls just populate randomly. 

Are you just making "monsters" to sell (which is fine) or are you thinking of a series of stepped races to either be a resource for the player(s) to ally with or oppose as they gain experience?

The old 1 Hit Dice (HD,) 2HD, 3 HD, etc., levels of gaming is one methodology - so you introduce the Kobolds to "Blood" the player(s) then the Goblins to get them the experience to fight the Orcs/HobGoblins to gain the skills/magic/weapons to defeat the "Big Bad."  Look at what you make/have and ask yourself where am I missing something to challenge my player(s) as they go along?

Gracias,

Glenn

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Are you just making "monsters" to sell (which is fine) or are you thinking of a series of stepped races to either be a resource for the player(s) to ally with or oppose as they gain experience?

I invest money and time in making models for gamers. I do it a) to provide models they'll fancy and b) to hopefully earn my investment back, maybe even make a "profit" (quotes because I invariably pump the money back into making new lines).  Is there a reason I should be doing otherwise?  I think what you're proposing I do with my ranges is actually something gamers so inclined will do on their own, if they want.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:30:05 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »
I was hoping to see some skeleton warriors on that list as low level warriors  :-[, anyways I voted for Kobolds instead, thanks Mr khurasan.

I make one set of skellingtons already, and I've got a second set of five well underway, so that's why they're not on the list. Ditto orcs and lizardmen.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »
Ghouls could be used also in future world combat as zombies, so you can have a wider audience for them!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:24 AM »
I invest money and time in making models for gamers. I do it a) to provide models they'll fancy and b) to hopefully earn my investment back, maybe even make a "profit" (quotes because I invariably pump the money back into making new lines).  Is there a reason I should be doing otherwise?  I think what you're proposing I do with my ranges is actually something gamers so inclined will do on their own, if they want.

Valid point.

I wondered if you had an secondary reason besides  the obvious because most anything you make for fantasy should sell well.

Edit: "...  my son is getting into D&D and wants to use my minis to game..." would suggest a different tack than armies.

Edit: Not worth my time trying to figure out what you were looking for compared to what it seemed you were looking for.  Whatever, I am done with this thread.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:53:35 AM by Conquistador »

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:28:02 AM »
Edit: "...  my son is getting into D&D and wants to use my minis to game..." would suggest a different tack than armies.

Armies?  Where in my response to you did I mention armies?  Anyway, that's something of an edit to my original statement, which was:

Guys, am considering doing some low level humanoid monster types for 15mm fantasy, as my son is getting into D&D and wants to use my minis to game,

There's really not much to figure out there in terms of what I was looking for, I reckon.  I think that means I want to do some low level humanoid monsters for 15mm fantasy. :-)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:42:03 AM by Khurasan Miniatures »