Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690635
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dixon versus Old Glory Western "transit"  (Read 3682 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Dixon versus Old Glory Western "transit"
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »
My new project for the rest of the year is The Plains Wars, and I am needing wagons and a stagecoach. I am waffling between Dixon and the Old Glory ranges. OG is obviously a great choice because of the Army Card discount, but the Dixon range seems to have more riders for the stage and more variety for Wagons, etc.  My big prob with Dixon has always been that the horses look like hippos--at least they used to. Anyone have any opinions on the two that could help me decide? I know there's a pencil sharpener stagecoach around somewhere, but I'd prefer a real model kit. 

Thanks

AX

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dixon versus Old Glory Western "transit"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
I bought both the Dixon and Old Glory stagecoachs at one time. I kept the Dixon one. The Old Glory coach is cheaper, but I had a much harder time trying to put it together than I did the Dixon one. And when it is finished the Dixon coach is just beeyouteeful.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
Don't miss the applicable wagons in other ranges. I have the Old Glory ACW supply wagons with freight that work fine for Old West stuff. I also have hay wagons from the Napoleonics range that might work in a farm setting.

Offline longagoigo

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:43 PM »
The 'mule wagon' at Old Glory 25s is very nice, as are the ox carts.  I also have the OG stage.  It took a little thinking to figure out how the pieces fit together for the undercarriage, but I like the way it looks (also much cheaper than Dixon, which would be sweet if money were no object.)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »
OK, I think I'll go with the Dixon stuff. Thanks for your advice.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »
I own both but prefer the Dixon one. Its a larger and has the option of standing or galloping horses and drivers either at rest or whipping the horses, not to mention various passengers either shooting or just  sitting being passengers!

Unfortunately the horses are still hippo like as you have said, but I think they are ok when painted up . If you were mixing  Dixon mounted Cavalrymen with Foundry or Artizan ones then the horses would be noticeably different, but on a single based piece like a stagecoah or wagon then they work fine.

The choice of wagons from Dixon is pretty impressive, and I think his chuck wagon, buckboard etc are excellent.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »
I have the Dixon one, and wold recommend it, but i haven't got the OG one so can't compare..  :/

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
i have to go with dixons on this one, the wagons are really easy to put together and look wonderful when painted up.
unlike most i actually like the hippo look of the horses, they are full of character and like the wagons look great with a descent paintjob.
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
Wow! Speaking of transit, anyone seen the new Dixon Wild West locomotive?

http://dixonminiatures.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:32:22 PM by axabrax »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
Wow! Speaking of transit, anyone seen the new Dixon Wild West locomotive?

http://dixonminiatures.co.uk/

I've seen it but I hope that's only a prototype.  The wheels on the front truck look like crap! They could at least have some relief like 'Jupiter' below although I prefer the style on the 'General'.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:39:55 PM »
I guess you're right--they have absolutely no detail on the front wheels which sucks for such an expensive model. Hard to inquire about whether it's a prototype tactfully--in case it's not!