Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The 41st Bengal Infantry Regiment colours  (Read 3552 times)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
The 41st Bengal Infantry Regiment colours
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
Bengal Infantry regiments colours now uploaded free of charge to download, these come on a A4 size sheet 05  12 flags in all .Enjoy

http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/

The regiments uploaded are 41,46,48,51,52,53rd, each regiment that mutineered according to eye witness accounts states "A number of regiments carried the royal colours and regiment colours and also flags of slogans" i have also added a number of battle honours to the colours after a lot of research and hope this brings alot of interest to the Indian Mutiny tabletop.

The 41st Bengal Infantry Regiment

free picture upload
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The 41st Bengal Infantry Regiment colours
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:26 AM »
More very acceptable kindliness mate  :-*.

All appreciated me thinks....

Darrell.

Online joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
Excellent work, thanks.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Thanks Nevermore, these are really useful.

Just one question - where did you find examples of the battle honours being used with inverted commas in this way? It's not something I've found on any comparable British Colours, though my knowledge of this subject is not great.

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
Thanks Nevermore, these are really useful.

Just one question - where did you find examples of the battle honours being used with inverted commas in this way? It's not something I've found on any comparable British Colours, though my knowledge of this subject is not great.

Not many of the flags survived the war and the ones that did shows battles honours were on certain flags standards during the war, they could be around the wreath like in a circle which were hard to read or could be displayed like so as above, i prefere the above, the book is a John French cost a fortune http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-British-India-1826-1859-Organisation/dp/1901543110  as i said alot were destroyed so i had to research the battles honours of the regiments through a number of books and surfing the web so you will find the honours are on the right flags, these are the ones that muntineer and still carried the flags during the war because of the tradition and because they looked so damn good.
You will find that the Sepoys that did muntineer also carried other flags of war as well as the regiment flags these are from eye witness accounts during battles.

Offline bbtoys333

• Assistant
    • bbtoyshobbies
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:51:17 AM »
This flag is lovely just like the others you have posted. Thank you.

I know that by the second Anglo-Afghan war British/Indian army flag sizes have come down a bit but does another know by how much?  By what percentage should I reduce the regimental flags posted by nevermore to get the right size?

By the way it would be truly wonderful if you could do some Afghan regular army flags! I'd be delighted to show by gratitude by donating to the Grimsby club fund....

Cheers, Richard
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:53:54 AM by bbtoys333 »
hello all... my hobby blog (below) has been dormant for a while but I hope to post to it again soon.

http://bbtoyshobbies.blogspot.com/

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
This flag is lovely just like the others you have posted. Thank you.

I know that by the second Anglo-Afghan war British/Indian army flag sizes have come down a bit but does another know by how much?  By what percentage should I reduce the regimental flags posted by nevermore to get the right size?

By the way it would be truly wonderful if you could do some Afghan regular army flags! I'd be delighted to show by gratitude by donating to the Grimsby club fund....

Cheers, Richard

Will be posting pictures up today on the Indian Mutiny 1857, i downsized the flags for this war, it should give a idea of the size to figure and also how well they print out, but you are right they went smaller, out of interest the size for colours 1855 was 6ft horizontal by 5ft 6in vertical - 1858 - 4ft horizontal by 3ft 6 in - 1868 - 3ft  9in horizontal by 3ft vertical - hope that helps

Offline bbtoys333

• Assistant
    • bbtoyshobbies
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »
Will be posting pictures up today on the Indian Mutiny 1857, i downsized the flags for this war, it should give a idea of the size to figure and also how well they print out, but you are right they went smaller, out of interest the size for colours 1855 was 6ft horizontal by 5ft 6in vertical - 1858 - 4ft horizontal by 3ft 6 in - 1868 - 3ft  9in horizontal by 3ft vertical - hope that helps

Thanks so very much for this information. Most timely and helpful too. Did the colour/flag staffs have a regulation length and if so what would it be for the period c. 1879?

Cheers, Richard

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
Thanks so very much for this information. Most timely and helpful too. Did the colour/flag staffs have a regulation length and if so what would it be for the period c. 1879?

Cheers, Richard

Will check this out for you today, ive post the Indian mutiny on the main website if you wish to see the printout

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
Between 1768-1873 the colour pike was 9ft 10 inch long after that it was reduce to 8ft 7 inch long so we are talking about a reduce smaller scale than the Bengal flags and reduce the staff to suit the flag to make it look ok on a wargames table.

Many people seem to think the last British flag carried into action was 1879 during the Zulu campaigne, it was 1881 by the 58th at Laings Nek the 1st Boer war 28th Jan, after that no British flags were carried so sorry Sudan war, then again the Turks, Sudan and Egypian regiments did so i created the flags for this war as well but not yet uploaded them on the Grimsby website.

Well thats about as much as i know if anybody else knows differant please let me know.

Offline bbtoys333

• Assistant
    • bbtoyshobbies
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
Thanks so much for this information.  I know I can probably trust the Mk. I eyeball to make sure the staff are proportionate with the smaller flags  but still it's good to know what the correct scale length is.

Again, many thanks.

Cheers, Richard

Between 1768-1873 the colour pike was 9ft 10 inch long after that it was reduce to 8ft 7 inch long so we are talking about a reduce smaller scale than the Bengal flags and reduce the staff to suit the flag to make it look ok on a wargames table.

Many people seem to think the last British flag carried into action was 1879 during the Zulu campaigne, it was 1881 by the 58th at Laings Nek the 1st Boer war 28th Jan, after that no British flags were carried so sorry Sudan war, then again the Turks, Sudan and Egypian regiments did so i created the flags for this war as well but not yet uploaded them on the Grimsby website.

Well thats about as much as i know if anybody else knows differant please let me know.