Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 786
Total: 791

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Castle  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
28mm Castle
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »

Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on our 28mm castle range in random stone. We have had a mix and match tower system available for 2 story towers for several months, and it has been very popular. This system allows you to customize the towers that you want for your castle by selecting a set of common tower components and then choosing the tower walls that you want to go with them. We have just released our first set of 10 mix and match walls for 3 story towers. These include two balcony options and an overhanging garderobe together with the usual mixture of door openings, windows and arrow / crossbow slits.

To go with the 3 story towers we have released 20 foot walls with double gates, sally port and 3 standard wall options. These all have a random stone finish and are available unpainted, or pre-painted in either Granite / Slate / Limestone / Sandstone or Whitewash finishes.

I have put a photo gallery together to illustrate how a castle can be built up from these pieces at  : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/%2228mm%20Castles%22/28mm_Castle_Gallery
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: 28mm Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
I'm not a fan of lasercuts, but it looks pretty good! If i can suggest, i'dd add more wooden parts on the walkways and everywhere, just to give some contrast and more tridimensionality! :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
Reminds me a lot of the toy forts of my childhood - plywood and stone effect paper.

The scale is impressive, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers.
For me though, the square regularity of laser-cut MDF doesn't really work for the subject. Castles are mostly organic-looking. They have curves, towers of widely differing heights and shapes, strange protruberances and recesses, irregular footprints. They are (nearly all) decidely unsymmetrical looking structures, added to and subtracted from over time - which is what gives them their immense character and interest. Laser-cut MDF can't capture that irregularity and quirky character.

But, as I say, it's an impressive model nonetheless, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will happily overlook the rather precision-engineered squareness and regularity, and just be happy to own a big eff-off castle :)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Thanks for all of your comments, and you are of course right that because it is made from laser cut mdf it is regular and square. In some ways this is negative, and in some ways it is positive.

What we are trying to achieve is a castle system, a set of components that a gamer can add to over time to create a wide variety of castle layouts, where all the pieces go together perfectly. This is why we have gone to mix and match systems for towers, so that you can have every tower in your castle slightly different. Currently we have 10 tower walls for 3 story towers and 16 for 2 story towers. Later in the month we will be adding 4 story towers and a variety of different crenelation styles so that you can just purchase a new set of tops and transform your towers to Moorish, Russian, Indian or Gondorian towers for example. We have also tried to break up the regularity be offering tower walls with overhanging garderobes and balconies together with wooden walkways and a choice of wall thickness.

I think the positive side of laser cut for castles is the sheer variety that is possible, we're not sticking with the easy walls and towers approach as we have over 90 additional castle pieces to add to this range.

The other benefit is that we have made it so that the tower tops and keep roof lift off for easy occupation in a game.

Anyway... back to the drawing board and the laser cutter. I will keep you all updated as the castle grows and changes!

Best regards,
Chris @ Sally 4th

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »
Hate to poop on the party but shouldn't this be in Commercial in the Bazaar?  ??? :)

Darrell.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »
Make 28mm laser cut Vauban fort parts and I would be interested. They, within reason, do tend to be more symmetrical in their construction and I suspect there are more people out there like me, who don't have the skill or patience to fiddle around cutting complex angles. Seems to me to be the perfect medium for the style. Of course being me I'd want the bits plain, so I could texture them myself.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
Hate to poop on the party but shouldn't this be in Commercial in the Bazaar?  ??? :)

Darrell.

poop.     :D

Cool castle.  For fantasy games I think sorcery can explain precision angles.  Or it could be a colonial fort in future setting, ubiquitous stone on a rocky world meets laser cutting accuracy. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »

The rule is that if it's a period-or-genre-specific 'commercial' post, it can be made to the relevant period or genre board.
Or to the Commercial board in the bazaar.
But not both  :)

If it's a generic commerical offer, or something that crosses several genres or periods, then yes, that should be posted to the Commercial section of the bazaar.

But as this is squarely a medieval product, it's fine here in the medieval department  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
The rule is that if it's a period-or-genre-specific 'commercial' post, it can be made to the relevant period or genre board.
Or to the Commercial board in the bazaar.
But not both  :)

If it's a generic commerical offer, or something that crosses several genres or periods, then yes, that should be posted to the Commercial section of the bazaar.

But as this is squarely a medieval product, it's fine here in the medieval department  :)

Ah, that put me inline  :D

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Ah, that put me inline  :D

Darrell.

It's best to be clear ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God