Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cleaning Aerosol nozzels?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Cleaning Aerosol nozzels?
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
My spray paint's nozzles seem to get clogged up very quickly. Is there by any chance a way of cleaning them, so the life time of the can can be extended?
Thanks,
Duncan

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Cleaning Aerosol nozzels?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
OK, this is seriously weird, I was going to post the same question earlier today  :o

Here are the suggestions I found:
1) Always shake very well (c. 2 minutes) before use
2) Try not to leave unused for too long (never manage that!)
3) Detach the nozzle, and use a pin or fine wire to try to remove debris or dried paint
4) Spray with the can inverted to try to de-clog (works sometimes)
5) Best of all - when a spray can finishes, keep the nozzle to use as a potential future replacements - best tip of all! I also learnt there are male and female nozzles, which are not compatible, and different nozzle types providing different spray actions.
6) Dip in solvent - did not try this; it definitely has to be a solvent which does not attack the plastic parts of the nozzle, though!

In my case I had a nearly-empty can, and took its nozzle; the funny thing is the erstwhile-clogged nozzle then worked on the nearly-empty tin. A rare win-win instance....

P.S. I managed to find the site with nozzle types, could be useful:
http://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:39:21 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
I used to know serveral guys who were into graffiti... >__>

... uh anyway, you can buy replacement nozzles from art stores.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
I bought some graffiti nozzles and they were excellent but.... I thought I'd be clever and rather than bothering with upside down spraying to try and clear the nozzle, I
just took them straight off and dropped it in white spirit. I haven't done much spraying for a while (at least a couple of months) and every one of the nozzles I pull out
and put on a can has had the inner 'spray' part pop loudly out followed by a big gush of paint :( luckily while test-spraying rather than all over figures! I've binned the
lot of them and will just go back to turning the can upside down when I finish and spraying the nozze clear(ish).

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
back in the day I used to invert the can and spray after use untill only solvent comes out, this prevents the nozzle getting clogged in the first place.
I've not had problems with clogging nozzles so nowadays I don't bother but if you're having problems that might help

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
I save not only the nozzles from old paint cans, but also from ANY spray can my wife wants to throw out. I have a small box with them in & just take out a suitable one when I have a problem.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
It really depends.

If you get clogging in the tube that comes from the can, it's pretty much unsalvageable. Don't try to clear it with a needle or anything -- my craft teacher lost an eye doing that many moons ago.

If the problem is the nozzle, it's easiest to replace it if possible. Save nozzles from old cans, you can use them for sci-fi turrets or something later on anyway.

I have some newer cans that don't have a detachable nozzle. With the I've found it sometimes helps if I rotate the nozzle in place.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
It really depends.

If you get clogging in the tube that comes from the can, it's pretty much unsalvageable. Don't try to clear it with a needle or anything -- my craft teacher lost an eye doing that many moons ago.

If the problem is the nozzle, it's easiest to replace it if possible. Save nozzles from old cans, you can use them for sci-fi turrets or something later on anyway.

I have some newer cans that don't have a detachable nozzle. With the I've found it sometimes helps if I rotate the nozzle in place.

Good point re the needle - that should only be done with the nozzle removed from the can.

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
back in the day I used to invert the can and spray after use untill only solvent comes out, this prevents the nozzle getting clogged in the first place.

This has always worked for me. I can't remember ever having a clogged nozzle.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Good point re the needle - that should only be done with the nozzle removed from the can.

I think he was referring to using the needle on the clogged up can and not the nozzle(?). :).

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
My experience is that if the tube in the can gets blocked, you chuck it away. Nothing I've ever done has fixed it.

It's why I've stopped buying Army Painter varnish sprays, because I only ever got about 2/3 through before it blocked up, no matter what I did to prevent it.

I now use Testors, which fingers crossed has never blocked and gives a great finish.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:12:04 AM »
My experience is that if the tube in the can gets blocked, you chuck it away. Nothing I've ever done has fixed it.

It's why I've stopped buying Army Painter varnish sprays, because I only ever got about 2/3 through before it blocked up, no matter what I did to prevent it.

It wasn't Army Painter cans that I had all the jams in the can..... the company shall remain nameless though I suspect that they have the same manufacturer(???).

I now use Testors, which fingers crossed has never blocked and gives a great finish.

I find that the new formula Testors leaves a slight sheen that I simply never got with the more carcinogenic older versions!!  :o :D

Darrell.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »

I find that the new formula Testors leaves a slight sheen that I simply never got with the more carcinogenic older versions!!  :o :D

I'm impatient, so I dry the varnish with my little fan heater after spraying. It seems to also leave a slightly more matt finish when done ... but that might be my imagination.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
I think he was referring to using the needle on the clogged up can and not the nozzle(?). :).

Darrell.

Owwww! Not a good idea.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
Owwww! Not a good idea.

Indeed!  :)

Darrell.