Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Southpaws  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
Southpaws
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
I'm looking for that most difficult to find fantastical miniature: left-handed human adventurers.

Does anybody make them? I've looked and found none. What is up with that?

And I'm not talking about the overdone dual-wielder. I mean for real leftorii; weapon in left hand and shield, torch, lantern, sack, &c. on right.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Southpaws
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
You could make some up using GB plastics Vikings or Saxons. They have a number of left-hand weapon wielding arms, and it's relatively easy to make the remaining right hands hold shields, torches etc. Might not be quite what you want but worth a look?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:44:11 AM »
Thanks.

I'll go take a look at the Beast.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
In some societies people wouldn't advertise that they were left handed... we also get the word sinister from the latin for 'left' with all that implies. While no doubt there were numerous 'cag-handers' around, they would be trained to fight 'the proper way' (although left-handed fencers are supposedly a tad quicker than righties).

I'm old enough to have had a rap across the knuckles at school for using my knife and fork 'the wrong way'.

[/boring fact]

;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
In some societies people wouldn't advertise that they were left handed... we also get the word sinister from the latin for 'left' with all that implies. While no doubt there were numerous 'cag-handers' around, they would be trained to fight 'the proper way' (although left-handed fencers are supposedly a tad quicker than righties).

I'm old enough to have had a rap across the knuckles at school for using my knife and fork 'the wrong way'.

[/boring fact]

;)

I agree, it was frowned upon, a bit like having a big boil on your nose or three nipples... seriously!

Darrell.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

[/boring fact]

;)

True. And being a left hander doesn't work in a shieldwall.

For adventurers, none of this would be a problem, though.

The main advantage I have found as a left-handed fencer is that you are used to fighting mainly right-handers, and right-handers are also used to fighting mainly right-handers,so can't get their heads round the blade being on the "wrong" side. As the proportion of lefties increases, the advantage has reduced, unfortunately :-[

Another boring fact: apparently one of the Border Reiving clans had so many lefties they built their spiral staircases going in the other direction, to put righties at a disadvantage!

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
That would be the Kerrs; for many a year the term "Kerr haundit" was common currency in the Marches for "left handed"...
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
That would be the Kerrs; for many a year the term "Kerr haundit" was common currency in the Marches for "left handed"...

Thank you! I'm going through Fraser's "The Steel Bonnets" again but hadn't regisitered it while I read. I'm keeping it in mind for a future project lol

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

That'll be in the inbreeding kicking in then  ;)

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
Citadel did one years ago,imaginatively named 'the left handed fighter'
Wielded a scimitar IIRC ???

Probably take some finding one though!

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
PMMDJ