Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 785
Total: 792

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley AAR: 'The Breaking of the Triumvirate' or 'Goodbye Kevin' :(  (Read 5525 times)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Every now and then you come across gamers you really click with. You like the same games (mostly), you play for the same reasons, you genuinely enjoy the time you spend together. Mark, Kevin and I have found that serendipitous mix - straightforward games, fiendish scenarios, and much more interest in a good time than a winning result. But we're all a bit devastated by the fact that Kevin is heading a long way away for work. He's had a consulting contract for some work in the East (look out for that later). However, that's looking a bit tenuous, so he's off to work in the mines.

This was our farewell game of Pulp Alley. The heroes gather for one last game.

The heroes themselves? Standard Pulp Alley abilities with different names (in jokes, sorry!) Except Kevin's monkey mania. He's the one who's always trying to murder my ape. There are vague similarities between us and the figures.

The villains - a mining company intent on abducting Kevin.

The winner is the team with Kevin in their possession by the end of the game. Kevin played us, while Mark took the villains. Of course, this lead to all manner of shenanigans. Kevin glancing at Mark's character sheet, "well, he's a bit useless". Later, Mark, "I'm going to shoot at myself".

Our heroes split up, intent on grabbing the minor plot points.

Bill and Mark close in on Kevin's unpainted lead pile (minor plot point). The manager lurks in the background.

Kevin callously shoots down the monkey, who's investigating the pile of precious rocks (minor plot point).

Another minor plot point, our favourite rules!

A brawl develops around Kevin.

Kevin dashes away heroically as Mark and Bill remain locked in separate combats.

Bill opens the door for the last minor plot point and out burst the miners from the East, also intent on grabbing Kevin!

The final turn, the headhunter from HR tries to bring Kevin down. He misses!

One of the Eastern gentlemen dashes after Kevin and...

...brings him down! Kevin has been snatched away. A sad day, but much fun was had by all.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:09:04 AM by blacksoilbill »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
It's sad when friends have to move away, but a great game and an excellent report.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
The "right" group of gaming friends with the same attitude is a precious thing indeed.  :?

Great AAR, and I love the little details, like the Pulp Alley rulebook on the table outside the building,  lol
(as an aside, I'm going to have to order the Pulp Alley rules, because it does seem to generate some fun games...)
Can I ask where the market stalls in the pictures are from, or are they scratch-built?
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Metrobot

• Schoolboy
  • "You always play ugly robots", daughter
Excellent AAR and mission, and the little table even looks better in the photograph than through my aging eyes in reality.

Finding good gaming buddies is a rare thing indeed, happens a few times in your life if you are lucky.  I have previously spent 10 years in a mining town where beer was the only intellectual pursuit (when I tried to start a gaming club I was asked how much you got paid to play!).

I will certainly miss the gaming group.  To quote a infamous Australian, "Such is life." (though his comment was at a more dramatic moment!)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:37:56 PM by Metrobot »
It's undoubtedly a trap.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Is this the best AAR of the month? Why yes, I think it is.

Those are easily the funniest character profiles I've ever seen.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Great AAR, and rather poignant too.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone, the scenario was lots of fun to work on.

@ Fram: we are rather funny (read 'odd') characters, so that might explain it!

@ Elprez: the stalls are scratch-built, but all the goods come from Steve Barber models:
stevebarbermodels.com Look under their 25mm market section.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
A great looking table and figs. Always good to see the excellent Pulp Alley rules in play. Do you have a template of your gaming cards? They look great. :-*

Bryce

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Thanks. Do you have Publisher? Happy to email a file if it'll be useful to you.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
So true that who you game with us much more important than what. I have been blessed, having gamed with the same core group now for more than 30 years! Some have come and gone, but four of us are from that same original, post high school gaming friends.

May your paths one day reunite you, as they have for us, bringing back friends as far afield as California and Alaska...

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp Alley AAR: 'The Breaking of the Triumvirate' or 'Goodbye Kevin' :(
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 03:29:09 AM »
Sad that Kevin is moving, but WOW -- what a send off!

I don't think ya'll will ever forget that game any time soon. Sooo much cool stuff. That looked like an amzing game!  ;)

THANKS for sharing!  :D

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »
Another GREAT AAR.

It's sad separating from your friends and gaming buddies... But the last game just seems like a blast!

I LOVED the mini wargaming table, the "lead pile" plot point and the mini rulebooks.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »
Thirty years, Mike - that's impressive!

And yes, I enjoy all the fiddly little details - I am the obsessive-compulsive accessoriser, after all!

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
Thanks. Do you have Publisher? Happy to email a file if it'll be useful to you.

That would be great, thanks.

Bryce

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
Excellent AAR and mission, and the little table even looks better in the photograph than through my aging eyes in reality.

Finding good gaming buddies is a rare thing indeed, happens a few times in your life if you are lucky.  I have previously spent 10 years in a mining town where beer was the only intellectual pursuit (when I tried to start a gaming club I was asked how much you got paid to play!).

I will certainly miss the gaming group.  To quote a infamous Australian, "Such is life." (though his comment was at a more dramatic moment!)

Another good quote from this side of town with a gaming flavor would be "Shoot straight ya bastards"  ;)