Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: MOKO for Maori  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
MOKO for Maori
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
Now painting my first small Hapu of maori and looking for ideas for painting/drwaing on the tattoos, I dont have the skill with a brush and have seen where people have used a pencil? but thought perhpas an artists felt pen may work. Any tips or ideas out there?

cheers

Karl

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: MOKO for Maori
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Now painting my first small Hapu of maori and looking for ideas for painting/drwaing on the tattoos, I dont have the skill with a brush and have seen where people have used a pencil? but thought perhpas an artists felt pen may work. Any tips or ideas out there?

cheers

Karl

A very fine brush will work better than any pen IMHO Karl.

Also, just go for the general shape of the tatoo's- they tended to follow the contours of the body/face so just go for it but don't over do it.

Darrell.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
Cheer Darrell, I am going to give it a go with both, I think you are probbaly right but my skill is limited so the pen will be a fall back option :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »
Cheer Darrell, I am going to give it a go with both, I think you are probbaly right but my skill is limited so the pen will be a fall back option :D

I once tried a Staedler 0.05 pen on some mini's and it made a bit of a mess of them, believe it or not you will be used to using a brush on the contours of a mini and I really do think that if you get a very fine brush with enough of a nib you will find it easier. Just don't overload the book with pigment and study Andrew Taylor's south Americans for three years and you're laughing  lol.

Darrell.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
Being a kiwi I look forward to seeing the results! What about a skewer dipped in water down paint? (Not speaking from experience though)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Being a kiwi I look forward to seeing the results! What about a skewer dipped in water down paint? (Not speaking from experience though)

Skewer? Do you mean a Maori tat stick??  ??? ??? ???

Darrell.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »
I once tried a Staedler 0.05 pen on some mini's and it made a bit of a mess of them, believe it or not you will be used to using a brush on the contours of a mini and I really do think that if you get a very fine brush with enough of a nib you will find it easier. Just don't overload the book with pigment and study Andrew Taylor's south Americans for three years and you're laughing  lol.

Darrell.

I see your point on the pen as it will be more directional. Wiating on the pens to come in the post ;D my practice piece will be one of the female Maori as that should be easiest around mouth and lips but give a good feel for how it will pan out.

My only plan is that I cant even get eyes right (they all end up looking like marti feldman - and as I get older sure the figures are getting smaller ;))

I think bar making a pa I should have my mARIOR AT AROUND 70 FIGURES NOW, 3 UNITS OF REGULARS (emp) PLUS A COMMAND TEAM, A NAVAL SECTION, 12 MILITIA, 10 SETTLER TYPES, 2 ROCKET TEAMS, ONE OF WHICH WILL BE MANNED BY ROYAL MARINES (FROM pERRY cARLIST RANGE) AND 20 1ST cORPS Rifle men to add a bit of a campaign feel to a supporting unit. Interestingly with Despard I was reading the account that they charged the Pa with full kit!!!!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
Decide on rules yet? I'm tempted by those sweet Empress minis to start a period I know nothing about!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »
3 on the table at the moment

M&T and This very Ground, both French Indain wars rules and almost translate directly across bar rules for rockets and shotguns

Smooth and Rifled, downloaded and should work for smaller skirmish games methinks they have lists for Maori wars so good to go :D ;D

former user

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
did not someone sell warpaint decals for celts?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
did not someone sell warpaint decals for celts?

You are right Hasslefree do but they are more for bigger fantasy figures e.g. covering bodies, the maori is mainly on the face and not sure they would work to be honest

former user

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
I don't know - I can't imagine how You want to reproduce real Moko with even the finest brush...
I think these could work very well

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »
Skewer? Do you mean a Maori tat stick??  ??? ??? ???

Darrell.
:) No, just a skewer that you would push through meat to make a shish-kebab, or even a tooth pick.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »
:) No, just a skewer that you would push through meat to make a shish-kebab, or even a tooth pick.

Probably too big in both cases I would think....  :)

Darrell.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
I don't know - I can't imagine how You want to reproduce real Moko with even the finest brush...
I think these could work very well

I did have a look at these, they wont work for around the face which is the main issue, also if being geeky they are modern tribal tattos not traditional so wouldnt really reflect the Maori tatoo which tended to follow the hard lines of the face :)