Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:04:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New pulp characters from blue moon manufacturing  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
New pulp characters from blue moon manufacturing
« on: July 04, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
Aarrgghh..  Blue moon Manufacturing did it again, they released another large batch of minis including Austin Powers... ;D

All the new releases can be found on their main page:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/

Still sad they have no good pictures of anything  :(

Now just need to find a way to get these to Europe without any extravagant taxes on top...
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Re: New pulp characters from blue moon manufacturing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
These are really good! Nice poses...

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
Why do they keep doing this with the photos? Do they not want to sell anything?  >:(

Who was it that posted some of the stuff he had painted for them? His own photos looked pretty damn good, but the studio ones made them look amateurish and blobby.

I almost like these, and think they have a certain charm, but I'd really need to see them in either bare metal or with a photo that didn't have flash reflections obscuring the paintwork.

@ Braxandur, Old Glory UK normally stock the new releases from Blue Moon fairly promptly. Would that be cheaper for you?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
I don't buy Blue Moon stuff because they look like rubbish.  If there are links to decent paintjobs that will change my opinion I might be tempted...

On the other hand, if I wanted "Spies" I'd probably go for the new Copplestone/Artizan. 

I don't get around the Forums as much as I'd like so please tell me I'm wrong on this if I am.  Am I missing something?  :)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
well, just for comparison, a picture from the original from blue moon manufacturing and the gothic section by tbroadwater:

Original:

Good paintjob:

Also I have some civilians sculpted by the same sculpter for Supersystem and they also look very good. Takes some getting used to and are sometimes a bit karikatures, but that's not a bad thing in pulp and superhero games

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:30:37 PM »

I almost like these

Oh go on like 'em. They're fun minis. Ok, the paint job is average in thier picture and the photo itself isn't great but... as minis go these days they're pretty cheap.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »
Nice painting  :)

So, how about quality?  Clean casting or take an age to clean up?

I like both Pulp Figures and Copplestone, so how do Blue Moon compare?

Integral bases.  Are these a plus or a minus?

The actual poses I quite like.   :)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
I was wondering about those bases too. I'm not a fan of the "rim" around the bases I'd be inclinded to snip it off. Intergral bases are a big plus for me though...

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi Jollybob, thanks for the idea,

I however just compared the prices between Old Glory US and Old Glory UK. I used the excange rates as I could find them online.

UK: 26.67 euro for a standard box
US: 20.13 euro for a standard box
US: 12.08 if you are an Old Glory member (40% discount for 50 dollars = 33.55 Euro)

The differences in prices these days is sometimes so much that direct import from anotjer country is just worth it instead of finding a retailer  (certainly with the weak dollar)

Postage from the US is off course a lot, but has a flat rate of 37$ (24.8 euro), so buying a lot (which is what I normally do) is the way to go....  lol
Sadly taxes still can kill most of the price reduction....

Still time to do some shopping I think   ;D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:19:56 AM by Braxandur »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
The Blue Moon figs are highly stylized but actually quite good.  I have the Vampire and Victorian Civvies and think they are fantastic. The paint jobs take them down 2 or 3 notches at least. They would look much better as inked bare metal.  I don't get why they don't see this.

AX

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »
I don't buy Blue Moon stuff because they look like rubbish.  If there are links to decent paintjobs that will change my opinion I might be tempted...

I couldn't agree more. Unbelievably weird, isn't it? Do Blue Moon really think that by giving their minis - which actually look rather good in the raw - this crude, shiny paint-job, they will persuade people to buy them?  :?

This also has to count as just about the most blatant bit of bandwagon-jumping seen in the wargames industry since, well... since whatever the last Warhammer Historical release was really, with everyone desparately attempting to cling onto its coat tails as it swept past...

But this. This really takes the biscuit. It's surely inconceivable that the advent of a 1960's movie / TV spy range, not even 3 months after Artizan/Copplestone announced theirs, should be co-incidence?
Ah well - they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Or should we be standing by for a WAB 'Legends of the 1960's' supplement any day now?  ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Well, we all rely on lots of companies to fill gaps in other companies' ranges, I don't see an issue here, they haven't duplicated Artizan or Copplestone, only added some not the Avengers and not Austin Powers and not Michael York or Liz Hurley figures. 
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »

I almost like these
as minis go these days they're pretty cheap.

Not if you buy them from Old Glory UK who charge £1 GBP to the $1. It's probably cheaper going for the OG Army Card and buying them from the US, even at a minimum postage of $37. Apologies if I am repeating myself, I think I may have said this before.

Bob Naismith is one of the best designers in the business (if these are his work), but these really look rushed and the painting does them no favours (I offer another apology if I am offending the painter). The comparison photos posted by Braxandur show what a huge difference the painting can make.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »
Bought a package of Victorian civilians a while ago from Blue moon and have been very happy with the quality of the sculpting and casting. Give them a try!