Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Power of .pdf  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
The Power of .pdf
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
I'm starting to love the potential of .pdf-on-tablet gaming. I realise I am way behind the curve on this, but I haven't noticed any discussion on this..

Bookmarking pages, pop-up and sticky notes, highlighting and underlining text... I can do as much pre-game prep, with less paper, than I would with hard-copy games or modules.

We had no fewer than three tablets at our table last night, all sharing a dropbox folder, and as GM I'm adding home made old-school style props, clues, maps and images into the shared folder for the party to work with.
So. Much. Fun.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Power of .pdf
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
I'm starting to love the potential of .pdf-on-tablet gaming. I realise I am way behind the curve on this, but I haven't noticed any discussion on this..

Bookmarking pages, pop-up and sticky notes, highlighting and underlining text... I can do as much pre-game prep, with less paper, than I would with hard-copy games or modules.

We had no fewer than three tablets at our table last night, all sharing a dropbox folder, and as GM I'm adding home made old-school style props, clues, maps and images into the shared folder for the party to work with.
So. Much. Fun.

Just make sure you have a plug and charger or hand once your battery runs out!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
I still like paper books for many things, but digital sure trumps paper for reference materials. Being able to quick-search is just so huge.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
I do love a real book; those nights when you can't fall asleep until you pick up a book and start reading...  :D

Being able to quick-search is just so huge.
So very true.

Being tied to a charger can be an issue, but so far I haven't found my favorite .pdf reader, GoodReader, to be hard on the old battery.

Not like Artemis Bridge Simulator... Now for that we pretty much run extension cords around the sitting room so everyone can get some juice when they need it.  ;D

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
100% Agree, I've got sound effect generators on my Tablet as well - makes everything so much easier.

Rather than a Bag full Books, all I have now is my Tablet and my Folder of Notes.

Good Times!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:54:44 AM »
I run all my games from my iPad. I write them all on my pad too, and draw the illustrations and the maps.
If the players have tablets (or even just phones) they can access player aids, update character sheets, receive private notes, even roll dice if they want to.
For running games the tablet wins out over books in every way as far as I'm concerned.

As an aside, my battery has never run out either :)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »
I'm currently playing around with Lone Wolf's Realm Works software (http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/). It's designed for RPGs, but could easily be twisted to be used for ongoing skirmish campaigns without much faffing. In fact, I'm currently building my test realm to cover my planned RPG, 7tv and Strange Aeons campaigns as they all revolve around the same world

Offline Bob Murch

• Scientist
  • Honest purveyor of toys and such.
    • Pulp Figures
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
During my recent Rugged Adventures demo game at the Trumpeter convention I misoplaced my paper rules and I was able to bring up my rules and quick reference page on my Ipad directly from my web site in seconds. I never thought I'd be won over by e-books and e-rules but I'm now convinced that this is the future.

I still like to own paper copies but they are becoming a trophy for decorating my book shelf and an object that satisfies my collecting bug.

Bob
www.pulpfigures.com

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
I have pretty much every ruleset physically and digitally. Dropbox and iBooks / Goodreader lets you keep everything in one place. it's light and portable too. :)

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »
...AND you can export bookmarks etc to other people.  Once you spend the time bookmarking (I use Pro PDF Reader) it's a breeze!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »
Have to confess that I fall in the "pry the rulebook from my cold, dead fingers" camp on this one.  Quite happy to produce PDFs for those that want them, of course, but I can't see wanting anything but a well-produced hard copy for my own use.  I think this may partly be on account of my spending countless hours at a computer most days.  Gaming is one of the few things that gets me away from a screen and keyboard, so I prefer to keep it as analog as possible.

Of course, I also still insist on buying CDs.  I'll just head to that dark corner, over there, with the Tyrannosaurs and Megatheriums....

Serious question: would pre-existing links and bookmarks be an added value to you in a PDF rulebook, or do you prefer a blank slate that lets you create your own personalized indexing?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:14 AM »
Just like hard-copy publishing, some .pdf's come with really useful outlines, others with crappy ones or none at all.. More and more I expect a .pdf to have the index and 'outline' stuff built in. That's already useful bookmarking.

A .pdf without links is not a good thing.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
Concur !  Would be nice for tables, chapters,  etc...  Not really sure what's typical.  But the more bookmarks the better.  When I set up the BM's on my last ruleset I did all tables, combat section broken down into shooting and melee, character creation, gear etc.  It's pretty sweet.  Sooo... The more the merrier IMHO.  Hot links on the index!!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
A .pdf without links is not a good thing.

Ah.  Well that's not entirely good news.  Suppose this means I'll eventually have to conquer my PDF-PTSD from the two weeks I once spent accessibility prepping a 1000+ page textbook for a visually impaired student...

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:30 AM »
Oh, yeah, that's gotta be rough. I don't know what it's like to author .pdf with links built in. I only convert text to .pdf from freeware... But I know how details often have a way of grinding away the fun of a project.

It doesn't have to be exhaustive. Links to the main headings at minimum. Don't forget, we will be using search functions as well to get to stuff.

I will say the effort shows and it is appreciated.